My 23' Cinema Display died

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chelseasian, Aug 26, 2009.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

My 23' Cinema Display died after 5.5 years of use. I was at the Apple store wanting to buy the new 24" LED display only to be told that it does not work with my 2008 Mac Pro. This totally pisses me off considering I spent 1/2 hour waiting for a staff to attend to me, and after numerous rounds of checking with the Genius, to be told that it will not work.

At this point, I am very upset with Apple and their silly display port strategy. I am wondering what are my options?

I have no desire to throw $2k on a 30" and I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I got a bargain on a 23" ACD on eBay that I absolutely love
    Came with Apple Care too :)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. LurchNC macrumors regular

Dell have very nice displays for the money. Or you could wait and see if the cinema displays get updated.

eBay is another option. I also saw a 30" refurb for about $1100 a few weeks ago.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Refurb has the 30 for 1299.

You can buy the 24 and use it, however you will have to purchase a GT120 or a 4870 to get a MDP.

There is one for sale in the marketplace here. Guy wanted 550 or so for it. Great condition, original box as well. It is here and on maclister.com.

I almost bought it, but ran into a local sale for 400 for one in original box. Took me nearly 6 months to find one where the seller didn't want 800 for it or it didn't have the pink banding.

Good luck!

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Was your old display a aluminum one or the acrylic ADC model? I ask because I got an acrylic 23" HD model for use with my MacBook Pro for $245 shipped this past June. If you're like me and already have the DVI to ADC adapter, its a pretty cheap way to get an Apple display. Its 1920x1200 just like the Al ones.

6. benborman macrumors member

Go for either the nVidia GT 120 upgrade ($149 USD) or the ATI Radeon 4870 ($349 USD) + 24" LED ACD Refurb ($599 USD). You'll end up spending Less than, or just over the cost of a new retail LED ACD.

Don't forget a miniDisplayPort extension from monoprice, and a USB extender (I used the Apple Keyboard Extender, works fine, even with the "nub").

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How about the DELL UltraSharp 2408WFP. Has a thin bezel, beautiful S-IPS display panel and completely compatible with our MP's. Has dual DVI ports and also the newer Display-port for future compatibility - ok it's not as pretty as the Apple Cinema Displays but hey, it's cheaper!! Comes with 3 years on-site warranty and considering the price it's fairly competitive.

8. grue macrumors 65816

I believe those are PVA.

The U2410, however, is H-IPS I believe.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Tell ya what... gimme a sec, i'll take the cover off, sure the then we'll know for sure... ;)
    Since going all 30" I ain't touch mine, it's just there collecting dust.

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I have a 24" BenQ and it works like a charm. Love it...

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Er... turns out they're S-PVA which ain't all bad.

Panel: Samsung LTM240CS05

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

What exactly are you using it for?

Personally, I'm partial to Eizo's and NEC's, but Eizo's gotten too expensive lately. :( Fortunately, NEC is a bargain per se, for a professional IPS monitor. :D

If you stick with the 24" model, you can get them reasonably for what they are (LCD2490WUXi2-BK or the previous model LCD2490WUXi-BK). :)

The newer model can be had for $1070, while the previous generation can be had for as little as $579 Factory Refurb (how I got mine early this year).

Hope this helps. :)

13. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

I do a lot of video editing work, and for years I have always loved the ACD, (aluminum casing). I got it around May of 2004, and it has always served me well.

From what I have been reading, I think my best option, if I were to stick with Apple is to go get the ATI Radeon HD 4870 so as to make it compatible with my 2008 Mac Pro, which already has a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT within, and get a refurb LED display to stick within the sub $1k budget.

I was looking at some of the NECs displays recommended, and the total still works out more or less the same to around $1k.

Thanks!

14. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

You can use 24" LED on a 08 Mac Pro

If you have a 2008 Mac Pro you can use apple's 24" inch LED you just have to upgrade your GPU to a ATi 4870 or Geforce GT120 reason being those GPU supports apple's mini display-port, so you can go ahead and purchase the 24" inch LED and you may have to spend a little more money to get it too work on your 08 Mac Pro but it will be worth it

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

They're really nice (I have the older model, and got it as a refurbished unit. Works fine). :) That said though, I'd have gotten it New if possible, as I may have just been lucky (prices shot up when I purchased :().

And if you're concerned about the budget, the refurbished model + a PC HD4870 or HD4890 (flashed/or via injectors) can be done for under $800USD, depending on the specific card (likely even less). :)

16. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

I've placed my order for the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and a refurb 24" LED Display. It worked out to around $1k including tax. The ATI Radeon HD 4870 apparently does not work with my 2008 Mac Pro. :) So now I just have to wait patiently for it. :)

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not sure about how well the Mac version works, but it's been done successfully with PC versions either flashed or by using injectors.

Take a look at this post (operational, & it's a 2.8GHz '08 MP, according to the signature). :)

Personally, I'd think you'd be much better off not only with this card, but with the NEC, and the refurb would keep you under $1k USD. ;)

18. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

It's not going work with 8800GT or the 285 GTX, the ATi 4870 does work with 2008 mac pro, there users here has the 4870 in their 08 Mac Pro if already purchase th 8800GT that card only will work with DVI connection and will not work with display port if you don't want to spend that much money go ahead and purchase the GT 120 that will be your best bet

19. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I think OP is confused. They had the 8800 GT and just bought a 4870.

Have fun with the 24".

20. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

cool, I wish someone give me any idea on when Apple 30 inch LED is being released i've been waiting for a long time for it

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 8800GT doesn't have mini DisplayPort connect, so I don't think that'll work.

22. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

That is correct. I have the 8800 on my 2008 Mac Pro and it only has DVI.

23. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

So what GPU are you getting to use Apples 24 inch LED ATi 4870 or Geforce GT120? those are the only two cards that supports Apple's mini display port and the 4870 will work on your 08 Mac Pro

24. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I got the HP monitor in my sig, 25.5" for $430. The only issue is the viewing angle good be better.

25. frick macrumors member

Are you sure the display itself is dead, and not just the power supply? My 23'' ACD stopped working a few months ago, but I was given the advice of swapping out the power supply to see if that fixed the problem -- one trip to the Apple Store and $60 later, my ACD was up and running again.

Apparently the ACD power supplies are notorious for flaking out.