My 3gs battery life...what do you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J273, Jun 28, 2009.

1. J273 macrumors regular

Ive noticed my 3GS battery life is terrible compared to my 3g...Ive charged it every night for 6 hours or more since the day i go it and let it run down completely twice.

Does this battery life look normal gto u guys or do you think i have a faulty unit?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

3. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Agree-walk in an Apple store and come out with a new one.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Did you jailbreak? You may want to wipe that first or they will blame that as they blame things like battery life on everything other than a hardware defect.

5. Lenxal macrumors regular

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yup. That battery life is awful.

7. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I just checked my phone and I have the exact same standby with 2 hours of usage (so my numbers are close to yours) and i'm at 86%

time for a swap

8. Torq macrumors regular

Depends on what you were doing for those 2 hours and 45 minutes. If it was all playing demanding games (e.g. Tiger Woods or Real Racing type stuff) with the screen set to high brightness then yes, that is not particularly unusual.

However, if the bulk of that time is not playing such games then, even with every option on, I am seeing much better numbers (more than double the usage, 4 times the standby).

Look at the 8th post there here.

That will give you an idea of what I get, and what seems to be better than average around here.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Must have missed in all the stupid MMS threads where the battery % indicator was now standard.

10. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks guys.....I thought it was pretty bad compared.

The only thing ive done it the 2 hours is browse a bit of the web and check email about 5 times as well as a bit of MSN on beejive.

Ive got wifi on all the time and checking for mail every hour which ive had set exactly the same as my previous 3g and 2g.

The only problem ive got is i bought the phone online Payg from o2.

Will o2 allow me to swap the handset out as i don't live close to an apple store?

Ive checked on the back of the receipt and its saying i have 14 days to return to swap for an equivalent or get my money back if i change my mind.

Or if theres something wrong i have 28 days to return for a swap

Would would you guys do....return it back as a change of mind for money back or go to a o2 store and tell them the problem?

The only thing worrying me is im not sure how o2 would handle this ....thinking they may want to send it off for repair.

Many thanks

11. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

To make matters worse..ive just noticed there out of stock everywhere:(

i bought the phone on release day.

Ill probably hang on to this and then give apple a call when they get more stock in hand to see if they'll replace it and send me a replacement out.

Probably the best idea:confused:

12. bowlby87 macrumors member

bowlby87

Yup deffo something wrong mine just died earlier but that was after 1day 13 hours standby and 4 hours usage.....

13. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok....I did a bit more testing yesterday...Phone came off charge at 5.15 am fully charged.

Throughout the whole day i had wifi on but not connected to a network aswell as it collecting mail every hour throughout the day.

The only thing i used the phone for was browsing the web and checking mail ..never made a phone call or anything.

what do you think from the screenies below do you still think i have a defective battery?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

14. fdot macrumors regular

bt

here is something people dont consider, if you have a bluetooth headset, and its connected, the phone records as usage time... even if you arent using it... FACT.. and im on my second phone and the battery's on both just suck.. i am a heavy user and my 3g phone got better life.. i had 3.0 on 3g and it was better then this... i get 4 hours of usage and its DEAD... wait for the update and i bet it all gets better

15. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

So do you guys think from the above screenshots that my battery life is the norm:confused:

The phone was not used once at all yesterday and only for checking mail and browsing web with about 2 youtube vids.

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Thats not normal. Even my poxy old 2G iPhone outdoes that 3GS.

17. NStocks macrumors 65816

Yep, they are still sold out. I'm seeking a replacement as the bottom part of my screen is yellow.

They told me to call them again on Wednesday ( 1st July ) as this is when they expect stock to come in.

I purchased online... Closest Apple store from me is 1hr 30.

18. robvia macrumors member

I've heard that wi-fi and push notification eat up the battery.

I ordered my white 32gb on Monday the 29th. Was going to cancel due to hearing about the battery and heat issues. I checked Tuesday morning the 30th and it had shipped Fedex overnight, arriving in the afternoon.

I'll go ahead an activate, turn off wi-fi, push notification, blue tooth, and turn down brightness.

19. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

My battery is at 69% and was fully charged about 6 hours ago.

I have wifi on and fetching mail every 30 mins, I have been browsing the web on and off all morning which probably adds up to an hour, I also made a 10 min phone call earlier.

I've no idea whether my battery is doing well or not. I bought the phone on Thursday and it's had 3 charges after been left to go totally flat.

20. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I've got 20 min usage and 86% capacity left after a full over night charge yesterday. No email checking or web surfing and location services are turned off. Also, no bluetooth use. I think it's something to do with 3.0 because the software is killing the old 2 G phones too. Anyway, as soon as they get some back in stock mine is going back to AT&T for an exchange.

21. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Ive just thought....I'm using beejive with a 24 hour timeout so its pretty much always on.

Do you think this would make a difference to the battery life?

Thanks

22. Que macrumors 6502

ummm, just a little bit

23. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Really:confused:

I wouldn't of thought it would of hit the battery that hard.

Maybe that's the problem:D

24. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

More and more, I'm convinced that it's the 3G connection in general. When spending the day on edge, with push on, BT on, wifi off (or on around a network), and beejive at 24 hr connect, I can get to 10 hours and have 25% left.

I've started turning on 3G for heavy surfing and downloading only. Doesn't seem necessary for IM or email anyway.

25. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Push has very little effect on battery life. Don't worry about it.