Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
I purchased this 256Gb iPhone 8 plus 256Gb in Chile, where I live, It was until today that I saw those little particles and tried using a microfiber cloth(those for glasses) and nothing, I called to the 1-800-MY-APPLE and since I live in a country where there's no official Apple store/repair center now I'm stuck with it, my OCD drives me crazy, now i'm looking at the phone every time looking for any other imperfection, everything seems to be perfect but this stupid particle inside, I don't want it to be a problem later on, I need my phone running perfect until iPhone XII because I'm the type of person who switches every two years, but I'm wondering if this is normal or not normal, anyone else has this issue? or am I alone in this situation? I use a case on it since day 2.
IMG_1120.jpg

Thanks in advance for reading.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
14-Day rule. Return & Exchange.
Sadly doesn't apply to my country, I need to travel to the US or a country where they have an Apple center, also I took it to where I bought it and basically washed their hands telling me that's not a reason for exchange.....It needs to be a battery problem, or screen, or camera unresponsive but not a "cosmetic" thing

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Sadly doesn't apply to my country, I need to travel to the US or a country where they have an Apple center, also I took it to where I bought it and basically washed their hands telling me that's not a reason for exchange.....It needs to be a battery problem, or screen, or camera unresponsive but not a "cosmetic" thing

Oh gosh.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013

That a not a cosmetic issue, they are B'sing you.

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
You have every right to request a replacement. However, it seems like you have issues with the retailer. Stand your ground and good luck!

yang88she

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
ATL
had this issue on a 5 or 5s, out of warranty and the apple store replaced it with no questions asked. sorry, my experience was in the states, wish you luck as the apple rep stated that it was a defect

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
Yep. dust shouldn't get in the camera. If it does then it's a manufacture issue not cosmetic. Does the particle affect pictures taken OP?
No, pictures are taken perfectly but every time I see the camera it triggers my OCD, I want my device clean not with unknown particles

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
I purchased this 256Gb iPhone 8 plus 256Gb in Chile, where I live, It was until today that I saw those little particles and tried using a microfiber cloth(those for glasses) and nothing, I called to the 1-800-MY-APPLE and since I live in a country where there's no official Apple store/repair center now I'm stuck with it, my OCD drives me crazy, now i'm looking at the phone every time looking for any other imperfection, everything seems to be perfect but this stupid particle inside, I don't want it to be a problem later on, I need my phone running perfect until iPhone XII because I'm the type of person who switches every two years, but I'm wondering if this is normal or not normal, anyone else has this issue? or am I alone in this situation? I use a case on it since day 2.
View attachment 728744

I had the same exact thing! I have applecare plus so did online chat and did the express replacement, fyi

neonrt89

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
View attachment 728744

It’s water proof and DUST proof. So no dust should be in there. Tell them that!

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
As the title suggests, I want to know how can I check if it affects my camera or not, what kind of picture do I have to take to see if it shows? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 561

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
As the title suggests, I want to know how can I check if it affects my camera or not, what kind of picture do I have to take to see if it shows? Thanks in advance.

I have the same thing on mine. I don’t see anything. Try holding it up and taking a shot of the blue sky or white wall. Something that doesn’t have texture and a consultant color.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
I have the same thing on mine. I don’t see anything. Try holding it up and taking a shot of the blue sky or white wall. Something that doesn’t have texture and a consultant color.
Thanks, I'll try that ASAP

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Which of those dust particles is actually inside? You have a lot on there. Dust will only affect the image quality if it's actually in the lens/sensor area, the 2 smallest black circles in your picture.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
Which of those dust particles is actually inside? You have a lot on there. Dust will only affect the image quality if it's actually in the lens/sensor area, the 2 smallest black circles in your picture.
just look at the tiny ones near the main camera and one in the telephoto one. They are different than the rest, the others are easily removed by using a microfiber cloth.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
The one on the left is fine. The one on the right is mostly off to the side so probably not a big deal. I'd take it to an Apple store if you have one around and see what they say. I would think something like that is covered under warranty.

Reactions: Peter K.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
The one on the left is fine. The one on the right is mostly off to the side so probably not a big deal. I'd take it to an Apple store if you have one around and see what they say. I would think something like that is covered under warranty.
I can live with them, do you think they'll affect the quality or something? by looking at the position they're placed do you think it's necessary to request a refund/exchange?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The distance of the dust to the sensor is so close is there no way for the camera is physically focus on the dust, therefore it cannot affect image quality.

If you go online and look up videos of people who put a pencil or pen in front of their DSLR camera the image is actually not obstructed at all.

That said you can probably get the phone exchange assuming there is no drop damage and the like.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
The distance of the dust to the sensor is so close is there no way for the camera is physically focus on the dust, therefore it cannot affect image quality.

If you go online and look up videos of people who put a pencil or pen in front of their DSLR camera the image is actually not obstructed at all.

That said you can probably get the phone exchange assuming there is no drop damage and the like.
Can't get the phone exchange bought it from a reseller in Central America, have no receipt of purchase...I'm fukd

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
If that particle of dust made its way in there then that means there's a hole somewhere on the phone and more dust is going to find its way in. Also water could get inside.

This is not a cosmetic issue. Demand a replacement.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
If that particle of dust made its way in there then that means there's a hole somewhere on the phone and more dust is going to find its way in. Also water could get inside.

This is not a cosmetic issue. Demand a replacement.
I don't have a proof of purchase, nothing, I'm fried, Do you think without a Proof of purchase something can be done? I went to the store where I bought it and they told me they don't have the official paper or anything, they are just responsible for any battery replacement and such but not on "cosmetic" so I'm worried here, I want to exchange but no Proof of purchase and that saddens me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.