Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I don't have a proof of purchase, nothing, I'm fried, Do you think without a Proof of purchase something can be done? I went to the store where I bought it and they told me they don't have the official paper or anything, they are just responsible for any battery replacement and such but not on "cosmetic" so I'm worried here, I want to exchange but no Proof of purchase and that saddens me

Why don't you have a proof of purchase? No receipt at all?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
As the title suggests, I want to know how can I check if it affects my camera or not, what kind of picture do I have to take to see if it shows? Thanks in advance.
How many threads do we need on this?

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
Why don't you have a proof of purchase? No receipt at all?
Because I bought it from a third party store, the man who sells them claims they are factory unlocked and he acts like he doesn't know what proof of purchase is, he's totally lost, he thinks the paper he gave me where it states the amount I paid is the proof of purchase, he ignores is the one he received from the US store he got the iPhone, I'm screwed right? Is there a way to check which apple store has the receipt?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Because I bought it from a third party store, the man who sells them claims they are factory unlocked and he acts like he doesn't know what proof of purchase is, he's totally lost, he thinks the paper he gave me where it states the amount I paid is the proof of purchase, he ignores is the one he received from the US store he got the iPhone, I'm screwed right? Is there a way to check which apple store has the receipt?

You're in Chile right? Is there no Apple presence / did they not release the new phones in your country? If so, you might be stuck with the dust unless you know someone in the US who can help you get it sent out and back for repair. You're positive it came from the US?

I'm not convinced you need your proof of purchase to get service unless there's something weird going on with it. Did you register the device in your name and/or was the box already unsealed when you got it?

If you end up having to keep it, it won't be the biggest deal in the world. As long as it's not on the lens itself you won't see it in photos, and it likely will fall to the bottom of the chamber if you bump it the right way (or just eventually). If in a year's time it finds its way onto the lens, you'll notice and it'll be a bit easier to get a replacement or service at that time.

Oyukis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Chile
You're in Chile right? Is there no Apple presence / did they not release the new phones in your country? If so, you might be stuck with the dust unless you know someone in the US who can help you get it sent out and back for repair. You're positive it came from the US?

I'm not convinced you need your proof of purchase to get service unless there's something weird going on with it. Did you register the device in your name and/or was the box already unsealed when you got it?

If you end up having to keep it, it won't be the biggest deal in the world. As long as it's not on the lens itself you won't see it in photos, and it likely will fall to the bottom of the chamber if you bump it the right way (or just eventually). If in a year's time it finds its way onto the lens, you'll notice and it'll be a bit easier to get a replacement or service at that time.
iPhone 8 plus still not released, you need to rely on resellers, the latest device is the 7 plus 128Gb red version so I had to go for the reseller, the box was sealed, I called apple right away to register it with my name and phone number and all that, I checked coverage and the phone is still under warranty, it started the day I activated it. I don't want the particles to move onto the lens, I'm worried about it now that you mentioned it!! Do you think it has a high % chance to occur?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
iPhone 8 plus still not released, you need to rely on resellers, the latest device is the 7 plus 128Gb red version so I had to go for the reseller, the box was sealed, I called apple right away to register it with my name and phone number and all that, I checked coverage and the phone is still under warranty, it started the day I activated it. I don't want the particles to move onto the lens, I'm worried about it now that you mentioned it!! Do you think it has a high % chance to occur?

I'm a photographer and there's comparably tons of dust in my lenses - right on the glass elements - compared to the one in your iPhone. Granted, smaller sensors like phones will show dust in images more easily than a full-frame DSLR with a wide aperture, I think chances are pretty low that thing ends up obstructing the lens. It's more likely to fall to the bottom of the housing or wedge at the corner of the lens (or not move at all).

If you can deal with sending it to a US person to handle the warranty exchange, it might just work out although I'm not sure what they'd do if they saw your real address in the registration. I don't remember ever needing a proof of purchase to get service on my devices.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s water proof and DUST proof. So no dust should be in there. Tell them that!

It is not waterproof, it's water resistant. It's IP67X rated. The dust itself is from the production during manufacturing and If Apple was willing, it could be enough to replace the device.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Happened to my 7 plus last year. Apple replaced it no question!

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
A few days after picking up my sg256 iPhone X I too noticed a few really tiny specks of dust under the outer camera glass. At first I was starting to worry thinking I’d have to go through a bunch of exchanges to get it replaced and find one without that issue, (did this with dead pixels on an older iPhone) BUT after looking through threads on older iPhone releases I found this is a common “problem”.

Then I read this article and stopped caring. To sum it up, no lense is hermetically sealed and thus dust will always get in (despite the iphones dust rating) because they don’t assemble them in perfectly dust free rooms. The dust will come and go, all phones (all cameras in fact) will have it at some point whether you notice or not, and in all cases IT DOES NOT EFFECT ANYTHING BUT YOUR OCD.

For all of you worrying like I did, read this article and then go on with your life dust anxiety free.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/the-apocalypse-of-lens-dust/

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
You guys know multihundred thousand dollar Ferrari’s and Lamborghinis and stuff randomly catch on fire sometimes right? Spending a bunch of money on something doesn’t make it perfect.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You guys know multihundred thousand dollar Ferrari’s and Lamborghinis and stuff randomly catch on fire sometimes right? Spending a bunch of money on something doesn’t make it perfect.

Sometimes car analogies are not the most appropriate when comparing to an iPhone defect. What it really comes down to, is how particular is the iPhone owner that is seeking to look up close at the lens cover of the iPhone to see if there is dust. The majority of iPhone owners likely don't do this unless there something obstructing the camera lens Or affecting the outcome of a photograph.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Until it's aware that the 8 Plus model has this issue and it shouldn't be happening in the first place for a device that cost that much
It's not just the 8 Plus, my 6s had the same issue. For the price of these phones there shouldn't be dust, but I understand they're being produced as fast as possible because of demand. When I had a Samsung S8 there was no dust or issues with build.

Apple_prince31

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
Which of those dust particles is actually inside? You have a lot on there. Dust will only affect the image quality if it's actually in the lens/sensor area, the 2 smallest black circles in your picture.

My iPhone X have two specks also in the rear camera. one of the specks is in the sensor, but it does not affect the image quality. Photos are clear with no blur or spots.
D7354CCF-D99F-4807-91B5-F527E6198448.jpeg

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
The distance of the dust to the sensor is so close is there no way for the camera is physically focus on the dust, therefore it cannot affect image quality.

If you go online and look up videos of people who put a pencil or pen in front of their DSLR camera the image is actually not obstructed at all.

That said you can probably get the phone exchange assuming there is no drop damage and the like.
Oh really. Never knew that.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
just look at the tiny ones near the main camera and one in the telephoto one. They are different than the rest, the others are easily removed by using a microfiber cloth.
Who cares if it does or doesn’t. Return that mofo. Apple warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.