My Analysis + Speculation: iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rekhyt, Apr 17, 2011.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

2. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Nice analysis!
    But i don't think the white iPhone 4 is the iPhone 5.
    Apple needs to release a hardware update to the iPhone 4, basic competition.
    Btw, what happened to the larger screen?

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I posted a comment :) Keep up with the good blog!

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Interesting writeup.
    :)

I can wait a little longer for a new iPhone, especially if the camera is 12mp (I read that rumor somewhere :D)

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I thought it was 8MP! :eek:

6. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I never heard/read anywhere about a 12MP camera. The only rumors were about an 8MP camera....this is how false rumors get started.

7. SCOTTGAZ9 macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Again, I said I read that somewhere (http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=iphone+5+12+megapixel+camera) but whether the rumor is 8 or 12 MP, it doesn't matter because it is just a rumor. Apple could end up sticking with the 5Mp camera.

9. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all for viewing my post! :)

White iPhone 4 could be a cover for the release for the iPhone 5. They could launch at the same time. The iPhone is due for a hardware update - I really don't know what they are waiting for. Perhaps they're holding off for something.

Larger screen - I think it would damage the iPhone's aesthetic looks - just stretching the screen would be a little difficult in terms of hardware (The bezel is needed, I believe, to hold the screen in place. I'm not an engineer, unfortunately, so hardware design isn't up my alley.)

I predict the larger screen will accompany the possible hardware redesign in the iPhone 6, with the iPhone 5 retaining the current design of the iPhone 4, with the improved specs to keep things competitive.

Thank you very much for the comment. :) It's really appreciated.

:) 12MP is... most likely impossible. I've recently read an article from Tom's Hardware and it seems that 12MP cameras aren't out on the mass market yet... and Nokia is well known for its hardware capability, so it would be quite unlikely for Apple to have.

What would be more likely to happen would be to have a better sensor in the camera (Supplied by Sony - a recent MR article detailing how they were giving Apple the 'best cameras' they had.) instead of chasing megapixels.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sadly, speculation like this is as likely to be accurate as the ones that come from analysts who make 100k a year dribbling BS onto the Internet.

11. SooneratND macrumors regular

5, 8, 12... won't make much of difference due to the crappy sensors phones are limited to right now. I'd rather see the money go into a better sensor than in upping the MP just to play in the specs game. More MPs does not necessarily equal quality photos.

12. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

iPhone definitely needs a faster processor. It is waay behind other smartphones hardware-wise.

[​IMG]

Oh sorry, again who am I to judge? :apple: is not about specs.

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Apple has never been about specs. They have always been about providing the ENTIRE package, but still keeping it within average to above average pricing. If you desire "specs" so badly, perhaps you would be better off with a different manufacturer. I'll keep the iPhone environment, even though it's obviously so "inferior."

Funny thing, I'm still using my 2G. I do everything possible with my phone, INCLUDING playing games here and there. But wait, it's inferior and doesn't have the "specs." What gives?

14. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

5mp/8 mp/12 mp who cares? It is a phone

15. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Why does it need a faster processor? Every single thing available for the phone runs fine on the processor it has now. A faster processor is only going to increase price and decrease battery

16. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

This is the thing actually. Apple doesn't think ahead. They want everyone to buy a new iPhone every year. They don't accept the fact that people may want to keep their phone for years.

17. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Apple isn't a charity. They are a business. The goal of a business is to make money.

Any other questions?

18. oplix Suspended

oplix

I'm 99% sure that the next iphone would most likely have a 8mp camera versus a 12mp one. Why? It makes no sense to bump the specs that much. If they did a 12mp camera this year, they would have pretty much no headroom for any camera improvements for a long time.

19. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

enjoy playing pong on your 2g ;). i want something that will push the new games and multitask without choking.

20. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Pong? So apparently, the iPhone has become an Atari 2600? Come on. You know that's not true and are instead just looking for cheap pot shots. :rolleyes:

21. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

I remember reading somewhere that having 2 cores clocked at 1ghz would be much better than 1 core 2ghz. Saves battery, I think - the clock speed could be underclocked while using normal phone functions to save battery.

I have to say, I was seriously impressed when I saw a video on YouTube. Previously I dismissed the iPad as a novelty gaming device, but after seeing Call of Duty Zombies(?) (World at War, I think) play on it, the graphics and gameplay seemed absolutely stunning - to see such great amount of progress. The 2.16ghz MacBook had roughly the same graphics settings. Of course, there is a screen size difference, but still. Very impressed.

For the iPhone 4, this would be even better, wouldn't it? The same amount of power in the dual core CPU powering a much smaller screen - there could be quite a great deal of improvement in terms of increased FPS and increased graphics capability.