My annoying brother :l

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iJordz, Aug 28, 2010.

1. iJordz macrumors member

Basicly getting a iPad on the 8th of september. Syncing it up to my iMac my mum already bought me some iTunes cards to buy some TV shows and apps, Now my older brother said he would put some free things on it in other words movies from torrents. What I dont want. As if he puts that on his PC when i sync it to my Mac it will wipe it off what he put on it. But the simple fact is my mum says he now has to or I cant have it :ll

Is their anyway to get around it so it wont wipe of the stuff he's put on their? :l

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Shall it be YOUR iPad or your family's iPad?

You could turn synching off for example.

3. iJordz thread starter macrumors member

It's my iPad as I saved up for it, but my mums like whats the point in buying of itunes when your older brother can get for free.

What does turning the synching off do?

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Morals, ethics. Is your mom contributing anything other than the iTunes cards? If not, then just buy it yourself, and put a passcode on it and don't tell your brother the passcode then he can't even connect it to iTunes.

5. lcdonnelly macrumors newbie

I have been in a similar situation before.

My advice is to either let him have it, or get him to let you have it.

An iPad, iPod, iPhone is for personal use,

Don't share it with your brother, if he really want's to live like a cheapskate, let him watch his ****** movies from 'torrents' on his ****** PC.

Stand up for yourself kid!!!

OK?

6. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

7. iJordz thread starter macrumors member

I think i'll just let him sync then like a week later just say i needed to buy the pages app for course work, buy it , sync it and wipe the movies he put on it.

8. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Perhaps it would be a good idea to point out to your mum that

a) Buying from iTunes is quite cheap compared to the alternative which is

b) Torrents can land your ass in jail and cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

9. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

It is yours, stand up for yourself. Passcode lock it! Another solution is buy the air video app and share them while they are still on the PC.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If your brother insists on syncing his movies to your iPad, and your mom insists on letting him do so, why not let him sync the movies through your computer? That way you at least won't have the hassle of having your contents deleted each time your brother wants to put something on your iPad.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Show your mother this post then:

Dear mother: Downloading movies or music from torrents is illegal. Various people who got caught doing it have been fined, in one extreme case $1,920,000 for downloading 24 songs. That is not too likely to happen to your family, but thousands of people have paid $5,000 or more to avoid court proceedings against them, which could put you into debt for a very long time. It is called copyright infringement. If you not only allow to, but encourage your sons to commit copyright infringement, that will likely be called contributary copyright infringement, and you may be fined yourself as well.

Do you pay for your and your children's food and clothing, or do you send out your older son to do some shoplifting? This is very close to being the same thing; it is all good fun until you are caught, but it is illegal and highly immoral. Now personally I don't care what you and your older son are up to, but trying to force your younger son to participate in such behaviour is just pathetic.

12. thomanjones macrumors regular

Just get Air Video app, no need to sync, can stream directly from PC.

13. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

or....

just let him put a few movies on there if they are decent movies that you were going to buy anyways.

Doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

And if you are syncing to the same PC with iTunes you can manually sync and choose what goes onto your iPad or not.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Buy it yourself or just put some of the things your brother wants on your computer so he doesn't have to sync on his. Personaly I always take the thank to expand my iTunes library

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

"Whats the point of buying..."? Clearly buying is legal. Your brother is downloading shows and movies off torrents which is copyrighted material... well just tell your mom that chances are high he will get caught so that she will ask him to stop downloading and delete what he has resulting in you getting to keep your ipad without having him sync to his computer. If that doesn't work, call the FBI or (i forgot the name of agency that takes care of downloading through torrents) and they should take care of him for good.

16. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I don't think I like your mother or brother.

And seriously kid, exert some control over your life. Grow some balls and tell your mom no.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Two words fella that your going to hear alot in life. 'grow some'

18. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

19. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Also agree air video is the way to go. Best of both worlds, your brother gets to watch his movies without actually putting anything on your iPad

20. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Tell your mom that torrents are full of viruses and you don't want to risk your iPad getting one.....(I know it can't, but she doesn't!)

21. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

Punch him in the mouth next time and while he's in total shock tell him you were told to do so by the good people at macrumors.com

-Sent from my iPad.

22. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Laughing over this post. Kudos sir.