My Apple Experience, yes another!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecoolone1, Jul 10, 2009.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Well let me start off by saying I have an iPhone 3G White 16GB. I've been through 4 phones so far. 2 within the last month. Today I got my replacement from Apple and I was so excited that I actually get to use my iPHONE! BUT..it comes to find out the one I received was WORSE than all the ones before. It had bad light leaks from the left side and also light shinning out of the headphone jack, it was super laggy, there was watermarks from pressing the glass (never heard of this before but I assure you it's possible), and last but not least the chrome bezel wasn't even a perfect fit and all I could here is "pop" from barely holding it in your hand.

Today I called Apple right after discovering all these issues and right when I got someone I just asked for a supervisor. I talked to a supervisor and I said "would it be possible if I got a new one instead of a refurnished one because all the one's I'm getting are bad", he then replies let me transfer you to our Customer Relations team which is higher up from them in power. And I spoke with a very friendly person and he looked over my notes and the time in between replacements and he said "this is definitely not normal and I do understand your frustration if you have any", so he said "I'm going to honor your request and send you out a brand new iPhone 3G" well of course my response was thank you but then I asked would I get an iPhone 3G 8GB Black since they didn't make the white ones anymore and he said "good question, I'm going to make a call and check on that for you", so after 10 minutes on hold he comes back and tells me that he has a choice to send me a 3G black 8gb or the new iphone 3gs and he said I'm going to send you the new 3GS for all your frustration and problems.

So really long story someone short--I'm getting a brand new iphone 3gs in shrink wrap and all accessories with it. I was ONLY expecting a working phone but I got way more in return. I just wanted to share this with everyone and share my wonderful experience with Apple. Not once did I have an attitude or raise my voice and look where it got me. Wonderful customer service with their customer relations and I couldn't ask for more. I'm still shocked that this happened because I never once thought I would get a 3GS from a regular 3G. LUCK WAS ON MY SIDE :)

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

That's great and thanks for sharing. I personally have had no issues when returning stuff to Apple. They have been nothing but nice to me. Just too bad this place (MacRumors) is flooded with horror stories. Apple is usually pretty good about taking care of their customers.

3. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Just got my 16GB Black 3G swapped out for a crack in the back coming from the dock connector. I bought on launch day (July 11) last year, so it was today or nothing - took it to the Apple Store and they swapped it out with a refurbed one that looks like new - no light leaks, bad buttons, etc.

I love Apple customer service.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Awesome OP, I would have asked for the 3GS 32GB Black.....:p:p:p

5. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

*sigh* if only I was so lucky... I'm not on #6 and on sunday it will be #7... I tried to hint at getting a 3GS but they said it wasn't possible.. :(

6. bredfan macrumors newbie

You might as well call the Genius bar now and set up an appointment for your next problem with this phone.

Seriously, 4 phones and not one was up to par? Either you are the unluckiest person I know, or you're looking for something wrong.

7. Earley008 macrumors member

My 16GB iphone 3g is showing cracking around the dock connector. the phone is in mint condition and well cared for. i am also having issues with the home button (but will try and restore to fix this) in anyones experience do they think there will be anything apple can do if i take it to the genius bar?

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

lol i have EXACTLY the same problem and i called Apple TODAY because today is ALSO my last day I got an appointment for tomorrow because there was no more for today so applecare gave me a 1 day grace

THere is no 8gb 3g S they are 16 gb and 32 gb

9. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

They don't make an 8GB 3GS, so obviously the minimum this person is getting a 16GB

Get your facts straight.

<edit> above beat me to it=)

10. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Good for you, I just hope everything is ok with your new phone. :):):)

11. qawsed macrumors regular

Out of 4 phones each one was faulty? I find it amazing apple entertain this.

12. warburg macrumors 6502

Well, since there is no 3Gs 8Gb iphone please let us know what you finally get from Apple :eek:

13. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

My first replacement was due to it not holding a charge so Apple replaced that one. The second one was due to cracks by the silent switch and headphone jack which they also replaced. Third one was because it never held a charge, light leak from the headphone jack and the entire left side, chrome bezel wasn't aligned correctly and made a pop if you gently held it, and last but not least there was a watermark after touching the screen (i never even heard of this issue before). All repairs went through apples mail in service and every time I got "Issue Identified" and "Product Replacement shipped".

I guess I've had horrible luck with refurbished iPhones. They honored me a brand new iPhone but they had no choice but to upgrade me to the 3GS because they do not sell the white iPhone 3G anymore. The guy said "the new phone has to be equivalent or better, never less." so from then on he set me up to print a shipping label to return the 3G I have now and once they see that FedEx scans the package then they will process my order and ship me the new one out overnight. I was actually assigned a person from Apple Customer Relations and she gave me all her contact information and she will be assisting me through the whole process. I personally think it's amazing how easy they make their process and how quickly they do it. I understand some may doubt me because they're giving me a 3GS but it's the truth and I'm shocked myself because that wasn't even on my mind when I called.

14. lavinci macrumors 6502

In the end, you're getting an upgraded device that you wouldn't have to pay for. Good one!

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

Sense my other posts were deleted... I still call shans on them giving you a 3gs for your "trouble". Show the paperwork that says this and Ill say Im sorry, until then I think you're either delusional or making it up.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Why? It is well noted Apple does this. I have a friend that had trouble with his 1 Ghz 12" Powerbook G4 and had to keep on sending it in for work( he had AppleCare). Apple decided to just send him a new 1.33 Ghz 12" Powerbook G4. You can search these forums where people have gotten a better model of their respective product because theirs were troublesome and broke a lot.

17. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Apple did the same thing for me when I sent in my original 1st gen. I got a white 3g for my troubles. I posted on here about it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=569937

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

from what I've seen, using a dock can speed up the cracking around the dock connector (it can still happen without it, but lasts longer)

so...do you use a dock?

19. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Let's just say that you've gotten very lucky... I've called in to apple now 3 times and have NEVER once been transferred to a higher level even after requesting it...

20. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I spoke with a person from customer service then i asked to be transferred to a supervisor (everyone is entitled to speaking with one) and once I spoke with him then he brought up talking to a personnel from Customer Relations which I believe is the headquarters in Austin, TX because all the numbers I have are 512 numbers with their direct email and ext.

Maybe you should try speaking with a supervisor and going on from their.

Call it what you'd like because I could care less. As long as I know what the truth is then that's all I need. I just figured I would let macrumors know my experience.

And I'm not the first person here to experience things like these. If you have troubles throughout your experience Apple will issue a new one if you request it and if they think its necessary. They can only give you the equivalent to the product or an upgrade if they don't sell that particular model anymore. What did you expect them to do for me? Put in a special order to manufacture a brand new white iphone 3g for just one person or just simply upgrade? Take your pick and call it what you'd like.

21. michalko.j macrumors member

Yikes, what's that guys problem?:rolleyes: There are stories like this all over macrumors. In fact, I just read about a guy getting the new macbook pro from all of his macbook air issues.

22. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

lol exactly. I don't know what's not to believe here. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this world who got an upgrade due to how many issues I was getting with refurbished iPhones. I guess it also relies on the fact that they do not sell the White iPhone 3G anymore as well.

23. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

:rolleyes: