My Apple Store Nightmare (happy ending)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlphaDogg, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaDogg, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Today I was messing around and jumped on the hood of my friend's car while he was moving slowly in a parking lot. He slammed on his brakes and my phone flew out of my coat pocket, face down onto the asphalt. I knew right then and there that this was the end, this would be my first cracked iPhone. I picked it up and it was cracked horribly. So I made a genius bar appointment and went in to the Apple Store a few hours later, fully prepared to pay the $49 fee to have the screen replaced under my AppleCare Plus Protection Plan.
    Once I started with a genius, I told him the situation. He said okay, we'll get that taken care of. Before he put my serial number in the system, I told him that my phone is jailbroken. He told me that since my phone is jailbroken, which is an illegal process, they can't service my phone because of that. I interrupted him and said "it is not illegal." He started saying something and I said "it is not illegal. Under the DMCA, it is 100% legal." I asked to speak with a manager and she told me it is their policy not to service an iPhone that is jailbroken, and that she was denying me service. I said "but I am paying for service to fix my accidental damage, I don't understand how jailbreaking affects it." She told me "the device has to have Apple iOS on it, and jailbreaking replaces iOS with non-Apple firmware." I told her that is incorrect, it still has iOS on it.
    She told me "I'm not just singling you out, this is policy." I said "okay, show me where in your policy that it says you can deny me service if my phone is jailbroken." She pulled up the AppleCare agreement (which I've read a few times), and this was the first time she had ever read it. It says in the agreement that Apple will not provide technical support for non-Apple software. I said "okay I am not asking for technical support, I'm asking for hardware service (hardware service is referenced separately in the agreement)." She told me that everything they do under AppleCare is technical support, and I showed her where hardware service is mentioned as a separate service." This conversation went on for about 40 minutes.
    At this point, it was clear she didn't know what she was talking about, so I asked to speak with another manager. She spoke with him and brought him over, and he agreed that they can perform service for me in the store with my jailbroken phone. So he put my serial number in the system, and it showed that my device had been replaced for a device that is not in my possession the day after I brought it in to be replaced because of issues with the volume buttons. So I had a "ghost" device, with no AppleCare. I spent another hour and a half waiting while the other manager was on the phone with AppleCare, getting my AppleCare Plus plan transferred to my device. Finally he got it transferred, and then performed the service on my phone. I maintained my calm attitude throughout, and because of that, and because of the 2.5 hours I wasted (while about an inch of dense snow collected on the roads), he offered to perform the repair for free.

So the moral of the story is: know your ****, stay calm, and don't surrender. It paid off for me.

Edit: here's a pic showing how bad the crack was:
    [​IMG]

2. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

3. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

That jailbreak part is absolutely ridiculous.

4. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The most ridiculous part about it is that I know Apple policies better than Apple employees do. Because of this, I've even been offered a job at the Apple store a few times in the past. I interviewed but I didn't get the job because I have no retail experience. I'm now working a retail job and I'll apply again in the future.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder for some reason...

6. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I don't understand why it's this new thing to constantly dismiss threads as useless. Like its their bandwidth being used up to host it.

Move to CO and have some of what the OP is having :p

7. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's pretty much been this way ever since I joined MR...

And I'm not *currently* having any of what we have here in Colorado ;)

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

im sorry but you come across as an arrogant twat in this story.

if you "knew", or better yet, interpreted that a hacked operating system agreement only applies to "technical support" and not "hardware service" then why did you scrub the jailbreak all over the genius' face? and then on the managers face?

it sounds to me you knew the jailbreak was going to cause you trouble so you did your homework, found a loophole in the text and then tried to be clever lecturing them on grammar.

everyone who has ever jailbroken and many more know your phone will not get serviced by apple. it has been like this since 2007. its against the TOS. you can get away with it by trying to hide it, by being nice or, apparently, like you did scrubbing technicalities on their faces.

and they didn't service your phone because you are extremely clever - they serviced it to get rid of you because in the grand scheme of things, they prefer to avoid a fussy costumer with an apple care plan than to argue ad-nauseam about the TOS.

9. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Thank you, finally someone with a brain.

10. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's not though.

When I'm paying for a repair because of accidental damage, being jailbroken doesn't matter. If my battery or something goes wonky, and I'm jailbroken, they can refuse service because the jailbreak can cause that to happen. But when it's clear as day that my phone is cracked and it's not a software issue, I expect to be treated like a proper paying customer.

----------

If I knew the jailbreak was going to cause me trouble, I would have restored my phone beforehand like any sane person would do. I expected no trouble.

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

actually, they can refuse out of warranty service, for any reason. but that would be terrible for business of course, so they wouldn't. however, they had a valid reason to deny service on a modified phone.

you clearly haven't done enough research.

this isn't really a story to brag about btw..

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Why didn't you just restore the device before taking it in? Also you said you mentioned the jb, maybe you just shouldn't have?

13. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Thing is... It's in-warranty service. Having a cracked screen is covered under AppleCare Plus, with the $49 service fee.

----------

I was away from a computer (at my school's final championship basketball game). I didn't think it would be an issue, so I made an appointment and went straight from the game. If I realized it would be an issue, I would've gone home and restored it.
    I mentioned the jb because I didn't want them to find it when running the diagnostic to get battery levels etc and then have it be a problem while they have my serial number to make a record on.

14. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

It's obvious he wanted a confrontation.
    Otherwise he would've never mentioned the JB in the first place.
    Then come on an internet forum to thump his chest.
    He's is the kind of person that makes it really hard for people working in retail.

15. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I work in retail. I know how it is. Don't speculate, you'll just make an ass of yourself.

16. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

No I think you did that to yourself.
    And working in retail then you should know better.

17. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

ya except you'd have to go through all the trouble of jailbreaking and setting it up again with all your tweaks, apps and so on..

you wouldn't be the first to try and get serviced without restoring.

18. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Though I work in retail, I'm also a consumer. I kept apologizing, telling the managers that I work in retail and I know how much of a pain in the ass I was being. But as a consumer, I will stand for my rights.

----------

FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS. I guess my judgment was clouded with the inconvenience of reinstalling all of my tweaks, and I expected there to be no issues. I was wrong, and next time I go in for service I will restore beforehand, because it would have been less of a hassle to reinstall my tweaks than go through the rigamarole I went through.

19. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Anyway I guess will agree to disagree.
    Hopefully this goes into the wasteland quick.
    I'm out.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You would go through that anyway since they usually just replace your device with a refurb. Personally, I never turn in devices for service until I've made a backup on my computer.

21. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It doesn't deserve to be in the wasteland. Since you've already called the mods over, I don't feel bad posting this... Mods: please keep this thread alive, just clean it up.

----------

Not for a cracked screen on an iPhone 5, they don't.

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Wow that was a awesome story. I think apple says if you jailbreak then the warranty but I think the moral of the story is...Keep you mouth closed:D

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Some stores don't have the ability to replace the screen and they replace the full phone. The majority of the stores in my area don't have the screen calibration machine and just swap the entire unit.

24. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Are you for real? Taking a jailbroken iphone to an apple store? lol, people these days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.