My Apple Watch display got damaged all by itself?!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MaTiCeK, Jul 24, 2016.

1. MaTiCeK, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

MaTiCeK macrumors member

Without any apparent physicall damage I noticed that the display of my Apple Watch got damaged. It was fine in the morning. I only noticed it after I returned from lunch. I do not remember hitting against anything anywhere. The only thing that could have caused it is all the minor bumps together from end november to now.

Link to photo:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7aid7bwhckmk4w/IMG_5914.jpg

Link to video on twitter:
    https://twitter.com/MaTiCeK/status/757226398360690688/

So is there anything I can do?

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Seems you only bought this in November 2015, right? I suggest merely contacting Apple Support...

3. MaTiCeK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but there is no official Apple Watch support over here in Slovenia, I already asked. I bought my watch in Austria in a shopping mall at a store called Media Markt (similar to Best Buy). It's a 45 minute drive and I'll be going there tomorrow after work, to see where I'm at.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

@MaTiCeK
    Media Markt is a certified official distributor of Apple, so please feel free to bring it back to the MM Shop in question, they will handle the problem.
    Good luck, m8!

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's water damage but should be covered since the AW is warrantied against water ingress.

6. MaTiCeK thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure? To me it seems like the OLED was "spilled". I've seen similar with actual physically damaged screens. Only my watch is otherwise pristine and it only cam in contact with wather while washing hands.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I have never seen this before. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I've seen this before a couple of times even here in the forums. Water got inside your Apple Watch.

9. Julien, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, it is 100% water ingress damage to the OLED. It seems there was a batch that were not glued properly at the top right corner. There have been a couple of threads about this same exact water damage issue in the same spot.

When you get your replacement you should submerge it in a glass of water for a few minutes since you don't have easy access to an :apple:Store.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/black-spot-on-screen.1925245/#post-22025475
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/black-spot.1912002/#post-21771542

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No doubt what so ever that it is water damage. Apple failed to glue the screen on correctly. Covered under warranty for sure.

Do a search in these forums and you will see other displays with the exact same damage. OLEDs do not like water.

11. MaTiCeK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I'm going to Mediamarkt after work, will report later on the result.

12. MaTiCeK thread starter macrumors member

OK, I went to Mediamarkt, they couldn't give me any real info, but have taken my watch and sent it to an Apple Repair Center. It is going to take at about 10 working days to get back. Hopefully fixed under warranty.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I can not see how Apple would not fix it under warranty. It is a known problem and you are still withing your one year warranty period.

14. MaTiCeK thread starter macrumors member

Just to report back. I got a new apple watch, it took them 1 week and a day to get a replacement for me, but it was free of charge. Happy!

15. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

i usually take shower with my watch. nothing happened since i bought. hopefully there won't :)
    test your new watch, if the same thing happens again, don't hesitate to change it again