My AT&T service is getting even worse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moof1904, May 25, 2010.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

My AT&T service used to drop 1 out 5 calls on average. Over the past few months, however, the service has gotten even worse. Without exaggeration, I can say that more than 80% of my calls are now dropped.

Almost all my calling is to other iPhone users here in the Dallas area, so a dropped call could be the fault of either connection, which one could argue makes our dropped call rate 40% per user, but that's still insanely high.

How does the blue death star get away with such crappy service?

I will run, not walk, away from AT&T when the iPhone is available from another carrier. I'm having trouble imagining I'll end up with worse service than I have these days.

I love my iPhone. I absolutely despise the service I'm getting from AT&T.

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I feel your pain, I was in Whole Foods yesterday on my way home from work, I was near the seafood section and called my wife to see if she wanted me to pick anything up for dinner....

At first it started with a dropped call, I went to call her back, call failed... hit redial, call failed.. walked around, call went through, dropped call.. hit redial, call failed, called back, called failed.. turned the phone off then back on, called back, call went through then dropped again, walked to the front of the store, called back, call failed.. Finally had to resort to text messaging... That was the first time I was really ready to take my iPhone and just throw it in the lobster tank..

3. barknee macrumors newbie

My thoughts EXACTLY. My wife and Mother have BB's with AT&T and never seem to complain......then again, I use about 3000 minutes per month, so I'm sure a high user sees more dropped calls and crappy service than the users who talk a couple hundred minutes a month......
    I switched from SPRINT, which worked perfectly for me in Sacramento, to AT&T for the iPhone a few months ago.....GARBAGE service! Love the device, but the service here in Sacramento is pathetic. I pray each night that Sprint gets the CDMA iPhone soon.....or even VZW, so I can leave AT&T and tell em to kiss my arse and shove the ETF where the sun dont shine! :)

4. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Perhaps the iPhone is the cause....

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

As much as I despise AT&T and their iPhone service, I think the iPhone is to blame too. There are many, many other iPhones on AT&T. Do they also experience many dropped calls. If not, then I believe the iPhone is to blame. I wonder if Apple can do anything to help with this problem.

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I've been with AT&T since 1997 and I can count the number of dropped calls on one hand. Now having said that if I were having every 1 in 5 calls dropped I wouldn't be here wondering when they were going to fix it. I would already be hooked up with another carrier. 1 in 5 calls dropped is bull **** service.

7. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Seems like lately the service has gotten worse. I get weird fluxs of bars on my phone now. It's not the stable coverage it was before. The call quality has gone down and even text messages have been slow at times. Heck there are pics I have sent my wife or vice versa that never go through. Somehow, I think it is more the iPhone's fault. Maybe it doesn't like me?

8. Sequin macrumors regular

This always amazes me because I've had AT&T for years and have never had a single problem with my service. Maybe I'm just lucky. D:

9. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

I love my AT&T service! Never get dropped calls...and my download speeds are amazing over 3G

Sucks that your area has such poor service...

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Mine city is pretty much the same. I can pretty much expect no service if I go inside certain buildings. 45 minutes to the east in our "big city" with tall buildings and such, I have zero problems.

11. checkned macrumors newbie

automatic iphone coverage tracker app

hi, do you think it would help if you had proof of your coverage problems? If so would you be interested to try out our new app, which automatically tracks your coverage on your iphone - there would be no charge for the app as we are still in BETA stage. If you are interested to give it a go, can you drop me an email ned@checkned.com or register on our forum.

http://checkned.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

thanks

Ned

12. SqB macrumors 6502

I know that where I live a call on my iPhone 3G is impossible, no bars. But, pop out that sim and slap it in my old razr and I'm able to text and call with no problems.

I certainly hope th iPhone 4 has a bit better radio hardware.

13. rkswat macrumors regular

Another one of these posts huh.... easy way to fix your phone reception issues, you ready...... CHANGE CARRIERS! Such a simple solution I'm surprised non of you with bad reception thought of it. :rolleyes:

14. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I have AT&T because all my far away family members have it. Every call I make or receive is the victim of a dropped call. We do not have iPhones, and I am hoping that Verizon soon will get the iPhone so that many iPhone users will flood Verizon's service so AT&T service can get back to normal.

15. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

My calls aren't dropped but my bars jump all over the place. From the very last one to all bars and then my 3G fades to edge even when i'm at my house which is covered under AT&T

16. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

More importantly what are your locations? Living in Chicago, I can say my service has gotten better.

17. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I've been an AT&T Wireless customer since back when they were BellSouth Mobility and then Cingular. I might have maybe one dropped call per year. It's most likely to occur as I'm zipping along the interstate at 70+ MPH and being handed off from one cell to the next or when I'm stranded on a remote desert island.

I own some land in the North Carolina mountains out in the middle of nowhere near a trout river. AT&T's service there is full bars while the locals can't pick up jack squat on Verizon.

18. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Confusing

I want to get an iPhone extremely bad. These type of posts confuse me as I am currently on Verizon. I am hoping for some good news on the 7th, but I am not expecting it. I have been chomping at the bit for the phone for the last year and I am not sure if I can wait any longer if a CDMA version is not coming in the next few months. Based on the response from users it does not sound like AT&T is such a hot service, but I want one of these phones.

For those of you who imply it could be the iPhone itself, how come we don't hear about the same problems for users in Europe who are on other carriers?

19. Cabrewolf macrumors member

San Diego: I live downtown and frequently can't get data service while walking down Broadway - the main downtown street. Service is intermittent in the courthouses and buildings downtown.

Boston: I was there last week and also frequently lost service while walking the streets downtown.

New Orleans: I was there last weekend and could not make a call on multiple occasions in the french quarter.

I don't think I am alone and I bet ATT is and will do anything to keep the iPhone exclusive because I will gladly pay an ETF for reliable cell service. In fact, I'll likely sue ATT in small claims for not waiving my ETF due to bad service and I'll seek their "Mark the Spot" data in discovery. Let's see how they like that.

20. neilp4453 macrumors regular

Everytime I read one of these posts it is always someone from a major city.

I'd expect At&T to be on their game for major cities.

I have no problems in the Tri-state area though. No problems in Philly either.

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I've used the iPhone in 10 different European cities and never had any dropped calls.

22. SugarMouth macrumors newbie

I agree! All you have to do is take your SIM card out of your iPhone and put it in a BB or HTC device for a few days, you then will see it's a hardware issue. This I have confirmed!

23. plusonechoi macrumors member

I feel the same as many other current Verizon users that have been waiting for iPhone to show up due to where I live has very bad AT&T reception. Not the whole city I live in (San Francisco), but specifically my house and the surrounding area is just a horrible AT&T reception area. Pretty much all my friends have iPhones and do not seem to have that many issues with drop calls besides when they are chillin at my place.

While all these complaints of service havnet helped the fact, right now I am planning on still getting the new iPhone and switching to AT&T and work out some of kind call forwarding to my land line. That or just leave my phone near the window, where my friends iPhones get 1 bar if theyre lucky. While this may sound ridiculous to others, in reality im not home all that much anyways, so im hoping it all works out!

24. camarobh macrumors 6502

I also live in San Diego (not downtown, though) and have no issues with AT&T unless I am at a Chargers game or a sold out Padres game. There I get no service (due to the crowd size), but other than that, no dropped calls or poor coverage.

25. matthewyip macrumors newbie

I also have dropped calls issue, but I noticed that the issue usually happens on 3G network. When I connect to the 2G network, it is perfect!! No dropped calls at all. I think AT&T needs to improve its 3G network.