My Battery life terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Syme1315, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Syme1315 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S's battery life is terrible!, it barley even lasts. I got this iphone in September of 2013 from online so it doesn't have warranty anymore. Is this normal or not? And any tips to make the battery life better? I have most things turned off like Bluetooth, the brightness is slow, only using wifi.

Attached Files:

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

what exactly are you doing for those 3 hours? video playback? looks like pretty heavy use for only 4 hours of standby

3. Syme1315 thread starter macrumors newbie

No videos, I'm usually just on social networks or texting! I do go on twitter and whatsapp a lot but I don't see how it would use that much battery

4. cyks, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Looks like you don't have the greatest cell coverage in your area. That could easily eat through your battery.

Otherwise, usage numbers are virtually useless since we can't see exactly how you're using your phone.

Turning a phone to airplane mode, setting a song to play on repeat, and turning off the screen will count as usage and give you days.

Likewise, playing an intensive game, brightness on high, and a gps running in the background will also count as 'usage' and likely only give you minutes.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So I am assuming it's a used phone. You might need to change the battery.

6. Syme1315 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm that does make sense, I live in south bend, indiana if that helps

7. Syme1315 thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I change the battery? And I don't have warranty on it so would it be free at apple?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Indiana? That's middle of cold weather. That might be causing some battery issues. Also, Apple does battery repairs. However, you can get it repaired by several iPhone repairers.

9. Syme1315 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I have to pay for the repair? Because I don't have warranty. And yeah that is true, it is pretty cold in indiana! -30 degrees tomorrow with windchill!

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't get the first part of your post. Anyways, yes, getting it repaired at Apple is going to give you 90 days of warranty (so if something else does break during those 90 days, you get Apple support once again free of charge). Plus, you'll get an original battery part from Apple and the job will be guaranteed to proper functioning device.

You could go with a 3rd party which might include a original battery part. However, there is some risk (albeit a small one). Moreover, the 90 day warranty will be on the store not Apple.

11. Syme1315 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I can go to the apple store and they will replace the battery in my phone free of charge? Even though I don't have warranty anymore

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No. You go to Apple, pay Apple to do the "Out of Warranty" job. Then after its completed you get 90 days of warranty on your iPhone.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Apple offers a battery replacement service as long as the phone is not damaged for $79 instead of having to pay $199 for an OOW replacement device.

OP. Apple will text your battery to make sure it is defective. If it is, and the phone is not damaged, it will cost you $79 and they will either replace the battery or completely swap out the phone.

14. lk400 macrumors 6502a

I think the warranty is only on the battery.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The first self made check you could do is to download iBackupBot and check your battery info. If it is below 1000 mAh like I strongly suspect, your battery need a replacement. If it is in the 1100-1200 range the reason could be a very spotty network coverage (but you said it was mainly wifi) or some apps working in background.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No. Trust me, it's on the device as a while again.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Impossible to say on either based on your post. There are a number of factors that impact battery life and you have to rule out the possibilities for your specific situation. The battery itself could be losing capacity but Apple can definitely test and replace your battery if needed. As indicated above coverage and temperature will also affect battery life. Biggest culprit is likely to be your usage, apps, configuration, etc and it's also the biggest mess to sort through.

Try this -- back up your device. Restore as new. Test battery life. Is it significantly better? If so, your issue is software. If not then it could be the battery, coverage, temp, etc and you'll have to narrow it down. You can restore from backup once you're done with troubleshooting.

Battery life is a very common topic so don't overlook the countless other "my battery life is terrible" threads.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

No they won't replace it for free if it's out of warranty.

What you can do is a DFU restore to iOS 7.0.4 and don't jailbreak it.

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have a 1 year old iPhone 4 I have never changed the battery in it but I think it's pretty good.

Attached Files:

20. lk400 macrumors 6502a

Im not in the US so I wonder if thats the same here - I recall being told it was only on the battery, but I would happily accept it on the device as a whole!!