Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I bought a 12.9 iPad Pro 128gb by mistake, I was meant to get an iPad Air 2 but my network sent this one for the same price... I haven't said anything to them but it's been two months now and.... Lol.

Any ways I like it more than I thought I would, it's my first iPad since the iPad 2 and I'm loving it to browse the Internet, in a way I never did on the 9.7 size. I feel like it can actually replace my Laptop for simple tasks like that which I never did before.

However I don't see any advantage for it over the iPad 2... There are still no apps I want to use and I end up still doing everything on my Desktop and Laptop. I don't see the situation changing when IPad sales are in decline and no one wants to buy apps on iOS and Android.

For example all the best games are on a Windows and PS4, on those platforms people pay £50 for a game. So we'll continue to have the best developers making games there, where as IOS will always have crap third rate games you never actually want to play if you're used to real games.

My personal belief is Apple need to ban freemium from their store, stop the selling of consumables and the freemium structure from ruining the market, games like Clash of Clans are ruining the platform.

Then you have the other problem of a lack of a proper file system and access to system settings and files. This really restricts productivity, we'll never been able to develop on an iPad...

So it's still just a web browser and media player for me, even then it's not the best because of the limited codecs and how you cannot force desktop views. The option is there to force desktop, but for some reason most sites still just give you their mobile site any ways...

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
My personal belief is Apple need to ban freemium from their store, stop the selling of consumables and the freemium structure from ruining the market, games like Clash of Clans are ruining the platform.
Haha. Whaaaat? They should ban the model that's most successful for them?

The games are different but have their place.. If you forced traditional pricing structures it'd not help indie devs (who make a lot of great games!) and you'd lose casual games which people love, whether you like them or not.

A lot of people are using their iPads for more than consumption and browsing.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I happily paid for procreate and I now have the an incredibly awesome drawing tablet. For me the pencil is the killer app. For others it might be keyboard for a super portable lite-productivity machine. I'm not really sold on the typing experience of an iPad vs a laptop, but that value is in the eye of the beholder.

the best thing is to find the things that the iPad excels at and embrace them, rather than force it to be something it's not.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I love my 12.9" IPP, I just wish that apps like photoshop got the Mac version! It now has more than enough power to do this! I want some really really solid, desktop quality apps for it! I mean, it's faster than a Retina MacBook!

Photoshop, Lightroom, Premier Pro. These aps would be incredible on it! Same with games! We could be getting some really high graphic and long games! Games that actually have a story and can't be played finished in under a week!

I'd love games like Kingdom Hearts and Age of Empires 3 to be ported over with game control support! It can be done! Hopefully iOS 10 really shines with the developer kit

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I love my 12.9" IPP, I just wish that apps like photoshop got the Mac version! It now has more than enough power to do this! I want some really really solid, desktop quality apps for it! I mean, it's faster than a Retina MacBook!

Photoshop, Lightroom, Premier Pro. These aps would be incredible on it! Same with games! We could be getting some really high graphic and long games! Games that actually have a story and can't be played finished in under a week!

I'd love games like Kingdom Hearts and Age of Empires 3 to be ported over with game control support! It can be done! Hopefully iOS 10 really shines with the developer kit

This is the problem, the hardware has the power, but the apps aren't coming over or they're simplified for IOS. I've just seen no great advancement for the iPad in all these years, it hasn't because the Laptop killer and the Pro is not Pro... I'd still pick the Laptop over it.

There was this big excitement for Tablets years ago, but that never came to be, sales are in decline and the developers continue to ignore it.

Reactions: Beavix and moxxham

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
The optimized apps that make the 12" iPad great for me are AutoCAD and Good Reader. I could draw on the 9.7", but having the extra screen real estate is a bonus. And I view a lot of floor plans & PDFs with good reader so that's a big plus as well.

More frequently, however, it's the fact that the 12.9" in landscape split-screen mode is roughly the size of 2 9.7" iPads side by side.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've just seen no great advancement for the iPad in all these years,

I disagree. I feel that there's been slow but steady improvement in iPad apps over the years. In general, iPad apps still aren't as full featured as their desktop counterparts, but compared to what was available for the original iPad, there's a great variety of apps that do so much more than apps did back then. Each year, the number of things I can't do on the iPad has decreased. Now my iMac is mostly just a media server. I go for weeks without using it for anything other than to stream videos to my Apple TV.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
This is the problem, the hardware has the power, but the apps aren't coming over or they're simplified for IOS...

They need to be "simplified" for a touch screen interface, and the physically smaller phone screens, obviously. But you're confusing interface simplification with lack of features or functionality. The depth of some iOS apps is surprising, and you cannot see all that functionality by casually playing with it for a few minutes, then dismissing it as 'dumbed down'. MS Word for iOS comes to mind. I'm still exploring everything it can do, and I haven't missed anything from the desktop version yet. I'm sure it's not 1:1 parity, but for my uses it is.

There was this big excitement for Tablets years ago, but that never came to be, sales are in decline and the developers continue to ignore it.

HP, Dell, etc would swap places with Apple in a heartbeat. And tablet uptake is in decline because there's no compelling reason right now to ugrade from the already great iPads of the last two generations. And Microsoft seems to also be placing its hope in the Surface lineup.

And you must be joking claiming developers are ignoring tablets.

Last edited:

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I bought a 12.9 iPad Pro 128gb by mistake, I was meant to get an iPad Air 2 but my network sent this one for the same price... I haven't said anything to them but it's been two months now and.... Lol.

Any ways I like it more than I thought I would, it's my first iPad since the iPad 2 and I'm loving it to browse the Internet, in a way I never did on the 9.7 size. I feel like it can actually replace my Laptop for simple tasks like that which I never did before.

However I don't see any advantage for it over the iPad 2... There are still no apps I want to use and I end up still doing everything on my Desktop and Laptop. I don't see the situation changing when IPad sales are in decline and no one wants to buy apps on iOS and Android.

For example all the best games are on a Windows and PS4, on those platforms people pay £50 for a game. So we'll continue to have the best developers making games there, where as IOS will always have crap third rate games you never actually want to play if you're used to real games.

Then you have the other problem of a lack of a proper file system and access to system settings and files. This really restricts productivity, we'll never been able to develop on an iPad...

So it's still just a web browser and media player for me, even then it's not the best because of the limited codecs and how you cannot force desktop views. The option is there to force desktop, but for some reason most sites still just give you their mobile site any ways...

Very true and since the 9.7 Pro splits the developer community by limiting Pro Apps to only 2GB of RAM we will see even less Pro level Apps which exploit to the fullest the iPad Pros potential.

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015

it can be done absolutely. but the issue is the audience. almost no users own iOS compatible controllers and these games wouldnt run well on a touch screen. in addition, most mobile users are turned off by upfront payments so it would be difficult to sell, not to forget most players would know the game runs better on consoles/PC and just get the game there, so the audience for core games on mobile would be pretty small. shame too, the graphics nerd in would have loved to see more ports of core games on mobile.

a future gen Apple TV might get some console ports, but i think unless a lot of people start buying iOS controllers, the mobile platform has little hope of getting current gen console ports.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Very true and since the 9.7 Pro splits the developer community by limiting Pro Apps to only 2GB of RAM we will see even less Pro level Apps which exploit to the fullest the iPad Pros potential.

Pretty much.

Aslong as apple decide to skimp and save on their product lines, we'll never see the full realisation of professional applications which can be replacements for their desktop versions. The playbox is just too small for developers to fully port over their desktop apps.

I hope over the next few generations, apple starts standardising the specifications between the 12 + 9 inch models to make applications easier to make for developers.

At this present moment in time, why would any developer make an application which pushes the iPad Pro 12 inch to its limit when it would alienate potential buyers from EVERY other iPad generation and the current 9.7'' pro.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
So that they could have a desktop app in iOS... lol...

Are you saying there are 0 desktop apps you wish you could have in iOS?

I'm saying "desktop" applications are fundamentally different, from a design and use perspective, from iOS apps. So "porting" one wholesale into iOS is the wrong way to go, IMO.

Desktop applications are do-everything programs built around large local storage, local processing power, almost zero social/connection to the outside world, mouse based input, and menu driven interface. Totally opposite to the iOS user experience and philosophy.

People screaming for Photoshop on the iPad, for example, need to try it on a Windows tablet to see what a completely miserable experience it truly is.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I'm saying "desktop" applications are fundamentally different, from a design and use perspective, from iOS apps. So "porting" one wholesale into iOS is the wrong way to go, IMO.

Desktop applications are do-everything programs built around large local storage, local processing power, almost zero social/connection to the outside world, mouse based input, and menu driven interface. Totally opposite to the iOS user experience and philosophy.

People screaming for Photoshop on the iPad, for example, need to try it on a Windows tablet to see what a completely miserable experience it truly is.

Although MS Remote desktop has been made to run on iOS, windows and the applications on the machine aren't. I RDP to my office windows 7 PC and manage applications never designed for iOS (including an application I developed for a hospital). I even have run SQL Server Management Studio to manage databases using the MS RDP app to manage my running databases.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

You've been spot-on with your comments in this thread. But you're swimming against the tide. Many people don't understand the significance and difference between software designed for a desktop use and one for mobile use. Those who are fans of the Surface line are the ones who are perhaps the most guilty of that.

Those who want a notebook in a tablet form-factor should simply go out and buy a Surface and see for themselves. For many the "theory" of the benefit of running desktop apps on a tablet will be clarified with the "reality" of that experience. What ultimately happens, is that it becomes a touchscreen notebook that can handle some light tablet duties in a pinch.

Although it is my opinion that Apple is lagging in enhancing iOS to get closer toward bridging the gap between notebook and tablet, I have hope that whatever they do toward that goal will work.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Although it is my opinion that Apple is lagging in enhancing iOS to get closer toward bridging the gap between notebook and tablet, I have hope that whatever they do toward that goal will work.

I just hope they do something... I was, maybe wrongly, lead to believe I would get more "Pro" out of my 12.9" Pro than I have. Basically, all I have is a larger iPad screen...

I want desktop powerful applications, either optimized for touch, or a work-around that brings desktop apps to the Pro's in a "this is as good as it gets" situation.

I think as long as we can't use a mouse, we are screwed. Using MS RDP app, we have a mouse pointer, even though we use our finger to move it, it works. The experience would be even better if I could use a wireless mouse, or a touchpad (built into the keyboard).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just hope they do something... I was, maybe wrongly, lead to believe I would get more "Pro" out of my 12.9" Pro than I have. Basically, all I have is a larger iPad screen...

I want desktop powerful applications, either optimized for touch, or a work-around that brings desktop apps to the Pro's in a "this is as good as it gets" situation.

I think as long as we can't use a mouse, we are screwed. Using MS RDP app, we have a mouse pointer, even though we use our finger to move it, it works. The experience would be even better if I could use a wireless mouse, or a touchpad (built into the keyboard).
I hear ya on that. I'm waiting for WWDC to see what Apple announces re:iOS. I'm hoping that they'll at least tease support of mice. If not, I'll bite the bullet and buy the Citrix X1 Mouse. That thing works with a few RDP solutions for iOS. I've recently switched from Team Viewer to Jump Desktop and am quite impressed with how well JD handles the pointer issue. JD also supports the X1 Mouse.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The new 3 GB ram iphone being released this year will have more pro apps...just kidding

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Tons of apps for me:

Productivity: Notability, Goodnotes, PDF Expert, Duet, LiquidText, Dropbox, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Drive

Reading: Kindle (textbooks are awesome!), iBooks, News... reading on this thing is awesome

Photo/Video: Photos, iMovie, All of the Adobe apps (there's like 1000)

TV: Netflix, HBO Go, Cinemax Go, Showtime Anytime, Watch ESPN, MLB At Bat, Youtube

Games: Still addicted to Star Wars Heroes... looks great on the 12.9" iPP, Lara Croft Go is pretty cool too, the new game called INKS is good on the big screen, Sonic 2 plays perfectly with a gamepad,

Social: Facebook (not optimized but works fine), Messenger, Hangouts, Slack, Gitter, Google+, Twitter

Finally: The Pencil is just damn amazing. It is actually "magical" at times... unlike many things Apple has labeled with that word ;-)
[doublepost=1465006464][/doublepost]
I think as long as we can't use a mouse, we are screwed.

I will absolutely NEVER understand this. Apple still makes Macs for a reason! If that's what you want... get a Mac!

iPads are for touch-based (and now drawing based) interactions. Many people can be very PROductive PROfessionals using a touch-based system.

Does it fit every workflow? Absolutely not! In the same way a jack hammer is a professional tool but won't do crap for you if you're a lawyer. Different needs for different professionals!

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Those who want a notebook in a tablet form-factor should simply go out and buy a Surface and see for themselves. For many the "theory" of the benefit of running desktop apps on a tablet will be clarified with the "reality" of that experience. What ultimately happens, is that it becomes a touchscreen notebook that can handle some light tablet duties in a pinch.

You don't even have to do that. Slap a copy of VNC Viewer on your iPad and VNC Server on a desktop.

Run a traditional desktop program and attempt to use.

You will gnaw off your own fingers in the process.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.