Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legionnaire

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
The billing address has nothing to do with the taxes applied to the account. I just found this out when I was complaining about my bill constantly changing. There is a section under your AT&T profile called User Information. In that section there is something called "Place of primary use." This location is what your taxes are based on. I found out I have been paying California taxes for two years after I moved despite changing the billing address.

I complained and they gave me a $25 credit. Pretty measly, but it was something. I later noticed that they doubled my data plan for the next two years (from 3GB to 6 GB), presumably to make up for it.

guess you are right

Administrative Fee
$0.61
Federal Universal Service Charge
$1.32
Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
$1.20
Total Surcharges & Fees
$3.13
Government Fees & Taxes
County District Sales Tax - Telecom
$0.18
County Sales Tax - Telecom
$0.36
OH State Sales Tax - Telecom
$2.05
State/Local Wireless-E911 Costs ($.25/billed number)
$0.25
Total Government Fees & Taxes
$2.84

6 bucks total or so. 10% of bill, them *******s. It use to be cheaper.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
guess you are right

Administrative Fee
$0.61
Federal Universal Service Charge
$1.32
Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
$1.20
Total Surcharges & Fees
$3.13
Government Fees & Taxes
County District Sales Tax - Telecom
$0.18
County Sales Tax - Telecom
$0.36
OH State Sales Tax - Telecom
$2.05
State/Local Wireless-E911 Costs ($.25/billed number)
$0.25
Total Government Fees & Taxes
$2.84

6 bucks total or so. 10% of bill, them *******s. It use to be cheaper.
City utility taxes here in California have only been going up.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks OP, I called AT&T Retentions and was also able to get the Nation 300 minute plan for $29.99. I was on the 450 minute plan, which they had upgraded to unlimited talk a couple months ago, so I had to give up that feature. Unlimited talk was unnecessary since I average less than 100 minutes a month. I also had to forgo free mobile to mobile calling and free weekends, but I had over 5200 rollover minutes from the old plan, which she re-added to my account and they should be more than sufficient for quite some time. I still have the $10/mo unlimited text messaging and the $30 unlimited data plan. Very pleased. Thanks for the heads up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.