My BlackBook just survived her first fall!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leekohler, Apr 12, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The title says it all. The strap on my bag came loose and down she went four feet, right on a corner. I heard a thud and freaked! But I should have known- my 2 week-old BlackBook was fine, not a scratch or crack.

Those of you who've known me here also know I'm tough on my laptops. They go everywhere with me. I kidded myself thinking I'd be nicer to this one- and I'm glad it seems to be just as durable as my old iBook G4. It's a shame I may not be able to have a plastic laptop from Apple in the future. They've made them well so far, and for someone like me they're perfect. Apple- please keep making plastic laptops. Klutzes like me need them.

P.S.- I'm sure this isn't the last time this thing will take a fall. I'm just glad to see that it isn't as fragile as I thought.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good onya'! They do make 'em tough, don't they? Check those straps repeatedly, and often. I've caught my BlackBook "one-handed" only once, b/c I didn't check the strap and ended up picking my Laptrap upside down and unzipped. The Mac Gods were watching over us that day! :eek::eek:

3. JasonK macrumors member

I am the same way. I bought a speck hard case for my MBP and have cracked is twice now. Luckily my MBP is fine, but the case is toast. I wish there was an option to get the plastic case on the higher end laptops, we will see what happens if they revise the look this summer. Glad to hear you survived, if you don't mind the added thickness, the speck cases ease the fear of "the deadly drop."

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

My situation was similar. I picked it up rather quickly and hoisted it over my shoulder and BOOM. Oops- oh sh**! But of course it was fine. I remember they used to brag about the iBooks being tough, but they never made such a claim with the MBs, so I freaked. Well, my fear was unfounded. I really do hope Apple doesn't go all metal with the laptop line.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

glad to hear your macbook's safe, lee. mine fell off the bed while i was sleeping the other night, and while not as severe as the fall yours endured, it did give me quite the scare when i woke up the following morning. i don't think my old mbp would have fared as well.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm just really starting to get the feeling that Apple doesn't care about durability, just looks. It's really starting to bother me, especially with this last rumor about an all metal laptop line. I've used Macs since they were ugly beige boxes for one reason- the company puts the end user first above all. I'm a desktop/laptop guy. I put all my power in my desktop and use my laptop for travel. I was really hoping for something great from the MacBook Air, only to find out it was made of aluminum. I really would have bought one if it didn't feel like tissue paper. So after the Air came out and was a disappointment made of aluminum, I went with the BlackBook. I'm really hoping Apple doesn't go in the all-metal direction. I still would love a plastic pro machine.

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

my powerbook is 3 years old and never hit the floor in that time. You should invest in a good bag or backpack. I ordered an axio hardshell backback along with my laptop, it has been a very good choise.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- you can never underestimate the durabilty of polycarbonate. Even the black coating didn't chip.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's not just that though. I work on my laptop on public transportation most every day and sometimes there are sudden stops, which can send the laptop smacking into the metal back of the seat in front of you. It's rare, but it happens. Just two days ago, a guy accidentally smacked my computer really hard with his gym bag and also the back of his hand with his wedding ring. He freaked and apologized. I just smiled and said, "Hey, it's cool." Not one mark on my BlackBook. There would have been a nice dent in a MBP, trust me.

10. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

You make it sound like the aluminum is as thin as a coke can. It's not. It will dent if your clumsy enough to drop it sans sleeve or bag. I know that you use a well protected targus bag from another post in another thread. Are you telling me that if it was an aluminum laptop in that same bag in the same drop that you'd end up with a crumpled up piece of aluminum?

I realize that you are a very mobile user, but you make it sound like you're in the front line in 'Nam sending emails and surfing the web while dodging bullets and grenade shrapnel.

What you need is an iPhone or a Touch to use on your rough bump and grind trips. I don't know if you've ever seen or used an MBA in person, but it is rock solid. I only hope that their future line will incorporate this build quality.

BTW, what's the story behind your avatar?

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I typically revise layouts and such on my laptop, so an iPhone won't do. And yes, I've used a MBA and it scares the crap out of me for everyday use. Try using one on the CTA everyday and see how freaked you'll be. If I were just e-mailing that would be one thing, but I'm not.

As far a s my avatar goes, that was me at Halloween a few years ago, that's all. Since I'm an atheist, it seems to get the point across while making me giggle at the same time. It's not meant to be offensive. If it bugs you, that's your problem.

12. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

No it doesn't bother me. I actually think it's pretty cool. I thought it was Darth Maul from Star Wars.

13. herman238 macrumors member

Mine fell off a table the other day, luckily it was in it's sleeve and landed on the flat screen side, still had me worried though :p

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I put mine in a foam sleeve thing then chuck it in my backpack. Is nice ;)

15. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Me too :)

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! A lot of people think that! :) Maybe I should just say it is. ;)

It does make you gasp for breath for a sec, doesn't it?

17. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I frequently throw mine in the backpack with the Tucano Neoprene sleeve. Don't have much of anything except for those very very small had to notice scratches. But that's expect with the shiny plastic, and is on the metal on the iPods. I <3 my macbook.

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

my mom breaked hard and then my macbook hit the front seat it was on the back seat and fell on the floor no harm done no case or bag and the funny thing was i was on my way to buy a bag :D:p

19. KompleX macrumors regular

i fell in love with those "ugly" beige designs. they were the most beautiful computers on the market at the time and still hold their good looks against all pc manufacturers to this day imho. seriously how can you call this ugly??
    [​IMG]

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm... maybe not ugly, just not pretty. ;) They were the best at the time though.

21. f1 macrumors 6502

My friends Macbook Pro was in her bag and the strap on the bag broke too and it fell to the ground and then a car ran over it. Surprisingly only the LCD was damaged everything else was fine no joke. :confused:

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, but it sounds like you people need Kevlar cases.

Portability has risks.

How can an all-aluminium case be less strong then plastic??

23. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

well if it was the new penryn one, then of course. Apple doesn't paint the blackbooks anymore.

24. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i have a macintosh 512 k

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? I do have the Penryn. I thought they were all painted. So mine is actually black plastic?