My boss bought me a 13" MBP, but..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ashba, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ashba macrumors newbie

Yeah, so I've been incredibly lucky. I recently started a 4-week unpaid internship at a well reknown design & communication agency here in Sweden.

And on monday, my boss walks up to me and tells me how happy he is with me helping out, so he wanted to compensate me (since i'm not getting any salary). So he walks out and buys me a 13" MBP!

Now, this will seem incredibly stupid, juvenile and probably greedy to all of you but all I keep thinking when using it is: "The screen is too small, the screen is low-res"

Don't get me wrong. I'm incredibly grateful, and SUPERhappy, since I was not expecting any compensation.
    But I need help with getting my mind off the small-screen issue. I don't travel superoften so portability is not my main concern.

Any advice?

2. ReddDraggon macrumors member

The res on the 13" is fine, the possibility of a higher res might be nice, but 1280x800 is good for a 13" laptop. Most laptops of this sort of size are in that range, it's just Apple has spoiled everyone by producing other hires screens, making the 13" low res. It's only low res by Apple standards.

I'm happy with my 13" MBP, when I want more screen space I use my desktop with dual 24" screens

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You could buy a large external screen, and a keyboard and mouse.
    The either run it with its screen closed, or just use its screen for say instant messaging, email etc...

That way you have a nice large screen, but its still very portable incase you need to take it somewhere.

4. Heavertron macrumors regular

The screen is fine, as other have said. Learn to use four workspaces, and you can be productive with many windows open at once.

5. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Yep... suck it up and learn to work with what you've been given. Not everything is going to be always optimal and laid out on a silver platter for you in the professional workspace.
    I've learned my skills on far, far less powerful equipment (which I had to pay for myself) than you've been given for free. Being in that situation made me tough, efficient and determined.
    Adjustments can be made very easily to one's workflow to accommodate smaller screens, especially with all the fancy GUI trickery found in and around OSX these days. Heck, I worked on an 11" MBA for a few months and it was fine... not ideal, but I got work done just the same.
    So yeah... deal with it and you'll probably come out stronger. :cool:

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. and to think i actually went out and paid money for this piece of crap.

just kidding.

if you don't like your computer, i'd be happy to have it shipped to me, so just pm me for my address. the screen is great. the size is perfect.

7. ashba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, like i said, It was gonna sound greedy and juveline. I'm still really, really grateful because I was planning on purchasing one anyway.

Most of my work will probably be done in a home/work-environment anyway now that i think about it, and there I will have a 24-27" IPS panel at my disposal.

Thanks for opening my eyes hah! Just what I wanted!

Much love!

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

:)

9. WiBu macrumors member

If you can get familiar with them, Spaces are awesome for smaller screens.

10. ashba thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, sure hope so too (;

11. Sieben macrumors newbie

If it really bothers you, you can return it and add the difference to a 15" model, you can think of a reason to tell him.
    I don't know how comfortable you feel with your new boss, i know i feel comfortable enough to tell my boss i will add the difference and upgrade to a 15", but on the other hand ... my boss didn't buy me a MBP :).

12. marrzie macrumors regular

Sell that p.o.s. on www.blocket.se and buy the base model 15" if possible.

13. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

That was uncalled for, anyway enjoy your 13" OP.

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

you'll get used to the screen, the resolution isn't so bad.

15. Samsumac macrumors regular

Be thankful, enjoy it-it is a very fast machine after all, and there is always the ability to hook up an external monitor.
    I would not offer to cover an upgrade or anything like that, it would be very bad manners and would have the possibility to go sour very quickly.....
    You have been gifted something other people lust and save up for ages... :)
    Enjoy it!

16. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Congrats BTW, imo Clam shell mode it in a vertical dock and run external monitor/keyboard/mouse. If you're cheap like me and think the BookArc isn't worth $50, make it outa wood :p

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I can relate mate,

using a 27" screen at home with the smallest one being a 24" I consider anything less then the 17" MBP to be crap resoultion. Its just a personal preference.... I had a look at the 15" high res models in the Apple store and was still not impressed and replaced my older 17" with a new one.

18. ashba thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe will probably do that. But I'll do my heavy-duty work on my stationary. Since I do heavy photo-editing and some work in Cinema 4D I will purchase a High-End iMac 27" as soon as I can, since i saved like $1200 by getting the MPB for free hah!

19. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I totally feel your pain, my GF has a 13" and I have a 15"... every time I am doing something for her I can't help but notice the big difference in screen real estate.. I can never go down to using a 13" after getting used to the 15" screen.

I Know that wasnt helpful to you at all sorry.

20. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

The screen is fine. I think it's all in your head because the Hi Res options in the higher models.

If you got the 15' Standard Res you'd probably want a Hi Res display.

It's human nature, we always want a little more lol.

Just think how AWESOME it is you got a free MBP and maybe when your internship is over you could sell it (so you don't offend your boss) and use the money to upgrade ;)

21. soco macrumors 68030

soco

And if you really need to, wait until the internship is over, and sell it for what you'd prefer. Although that would be a huge douche move.

22. intwo macrumors newbie

I'm not sure why some people are criticizing you for wanting a larger screen. I can tell that you're grateful and I doubt that you're moping around the office or whining to your boss about the laptop.

Anyways, pick up an external monitor and you'll be set.

23. CampDavid macrumors member

Personally I'd stick with the 13" and make sure your boss knows you appreciate it.

Internships are not about money, getting stuff or even, as you may think, experience. They're about getting contacts and making friends.

If they remember you fondly then you may find it'll turn into your first step on a very promising career.

(Typed this, squinting on my 13" MBP)

24. CFoss macrumors 6502

If you're worried about screen estate, purchase an external monitor. Replacing it will be a first way ticket out of the job.

25. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

That's not true at all. In fact, you'll be hardpressed to find a 13 inch with less than 1366 x 768 resolution. Sony Vaio S series offers a 1600 x 900 resolution. That's a bit big, but hey, people still buy 15 inches with 1080p.

In short, it IS low res by 2011 standards. And 2010 standards. And 2009 standards. Probably 2008 and 2007 as well.

That said, keep the machine as long as you're in the internship.