My boss gave me $6k for getting him to switch.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2005
About a month ago, my boss asked me to help him with a virus (he thinks I know a lot about computer. He had the W32.Sober.O@mm, which I never heard of. He had already backed up all of his data. He allowed me to format his hard drive and I told him to buy a mac for himself and the rest of the company. He ordered eMacs... and last week they came. Today, he gave me $6,000 because now he doesn't have ANY problems at all... I'm 17... so that means I'll get $30k/yr... thats great for my age.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
that's great, good job. don't forget it's never too early to invest in a 401k or other retirement fund, and they usually roll over to your next job. who knows you could retire by age 40!

of course don't forget to treat yourself to something nice now :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Nice bonus! Good job getting your boss and company to switch to Mac.

I have been trying to get the company that I work for (a local Credit Union) to make the switch. Although we (the company) have not yet switched to Mac, I have convinced several of my fellow employees to make the switch. Now I just need to work on my boss...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
congrats! i'm 16 and do i wish i could have a couple thousand in my pocket now that it's summer break... is that your summer job?

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
The best thing to do with big bonus like that is to go to the bank and cash it all in 1's.

Than buy a cheap pool from wal-mart. (the 5 dollor one) put the money in it and go for a little swim.

The take it all back and put it into your account.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Phat_Pat said:
The best thing to do with big bonus like that is to go to the bank and cash it all in 1's.

Than buy a cheap pool from wal-mart. (the 5 dollor one) put the money in it and go for a little swim.

Good idea.

Interesting...the last thing I got from my boss was a bollocking.

AppleMatt

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Great Job!

Now, to keep your "outstanding employee" rating run software updates, permissions repairs, and mac janitor once a month on all the machines. They'll have solid machines for years to come!

If one of your coworkers says something like "this mac sucks", ask him why. Half the time it's ignorance, because control-x doesn't cut, or there's no alt 162 for the ¢ symbol. :eek:/

Be prepared to be questioned when the printer hiccups, when the water cooler leaks, when someone has foot fungus, etc. You are the "the resident geek" now, enjoy your new powers!

You should put some of the bonus away in savings and get a nice iMac G5 for yourself.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
That is truly awesome - you are making more at 17 than some do at anytime during their life :eek: ;) . Congratulations for turning your boss (and company) to the light...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iHateWindows said:
I'm 17... so that means I'll get $30k/yr... thats great for my age.
For someone that's only 17, that's not "great for your age", it's well above what you should be making (IMO). :eek:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Phat_Pat said:

Cartman? Is that you?

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
iHateWindows said:
About a month ago, my boss asked me to help him with a virus (he thinks I know a lot about computer. He had the W32.Sober.O@mm, which I never heard of. He had already backed up all of his data. He allowed me to format his hard drive and I told him to buy a mac for himself and the rest of the company. He ordered eMacs... and last week they came. Today, he gave me $6,000 because now he doesn't have ANY problems at all... I'm 17... so that means I'll get $30k/yr... thats great for my age.
Dude. I can't find a job ANYWHERE and you're getting $30k/yr.

*kicks Alan Greenspan* Whhyyyy do you hate me, alan!?

DUDE, AWESOME. Keep on Rocking with that sweet job! :)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
That is pretty damn awesome, my friend. I managed to land an editing job for the summer that is going to pay off a guaranteed $8,000 ($2 per dvd sold) because of a preorder. Just got another unconfirmed order of a few thousand, so it looks like I could be making a cool $10g for doing what I'd be doing anyway... working my own hours, in my own home, and getting to be creative. I couldn't ask for any more for the summer before college.

3 cheers for our luck!!!

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Wow! If your boss gave you $6k, just imagine how much money he must be saving from using Macs! Another testament to the wonder of the Mac.

And nice work for getting the bonus.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Another company gone Mac. Anyone else know or heard of companies—outside of the obvious (creative shops)—that have decided to do the same?

I understand some government agencies have done so. I've mentioned before that my gf works at a pretty good-sized financial services firm and they're all Mac. I can't help but cringe every time I think about those 30" flat screens displaying S U P E R W I D E Excel spreadsheets day in and day out, but hey, they're going totally against the grain for their industry and that's great.