My Brother is frustrated about new 13' MacBooks. :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Derrick Velasco, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

Please don't be mean, This is a hard working guy. My mom and dad are hard working as well (Aren't we all?) So this was a BIG purchase for us.

Bottom Line: We got a 2GHz Aluminum MacBook 2 weeks before the new one came out (Today) and Best Best only has a 14 day return policy on laptops..
    (We bought it in the store, and it was a surprise)

He is depressed that our parents had to pay extra for a lower end model. Can you blame him? We had no idea...

Can you please help my brother come to terms with this? He is happy with his MacBook, but he wants the illuminated keyboard and stuff and HE REALLY feels bad that they paid more..
    :( Help...Please..

Please no comments that only make him sadder.. He is struggling a lot right now..

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Tell'em that's how technology works.

The fact that he's happy with the computer is all that matters. Consider that $100 the "collector's edition" fee as per my sig now, lol....

3. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Just because the hardware was updated today doesn't make his MB any slower. It will still run just as fast.

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Tell him they paid extra for the........yep, you guessed it...... COLLECTORS EDITION!

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Tell your brother that within six months, something newer will come out, and both the model he has and the model he's lusting after will be old hat. Ask around here--the people with 2.16 MBs aren't busy envying the people with 2.2 MBs; nor are the people still using 1.5 PBs wishing they'd bought 1.67 PBs. It won't matter soon enough.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

His Macbook is not in anyway obsolete, it will continue to do the job it did before the new MBs came out, and will not suddenly slow down, it will be fine, computers come out, things get updated and replaced all the time, it's the way of the technological world. He will be fine.

Look at it this way, I bought my MBP right before the new ones came out, and I'm damn happy I did, I hate glossy displays, yet I (apparently) have got inferior hardware.

It's all smoke and mirrors really...

8. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Right.. :eek:
    It's the illuminated keyboard THAT KILLS him, and he didn't even know we were getting the aluminum one.. So he had no idea what model he was getting. :(

Thanks guys ^__^

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Bro I dont really know if there's much he can do. Maybe try and sell it get the upgrade..?

10. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

You guys are so nice.. :p
    I will tell him and he will feel so much better!

@rgarjr

Yeah that could happen.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Really pushing that now aren't you :p

Face it, it's not collectors edition, it's obsolete, you might as well trash it now, save the humiliation...

Posted on my 2006 17" iMac (as the motherboard on my 2008 MBP Classic died...)

12. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Call Apple up. Worth a try. 2 weeks is not that long ago.

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Hahahahaha.....:(:(:(

It was purchased at Best Buy, Apple won't be able to help'em..

14. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

..... ;(

We will move on *sign* :cool:

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Its ok I understand your jealous! ;)
    If you had a CE you'd be rockin it in your sig also!! ADMIT IT!!!

16. skorpien macrumors 68020

The truth of the matter is that this is usually how it works. Many have said it here, if you continue holding out for the next revision you won't ever get a computer.

Assuming he got the base model, he's got 2GB RAM and is capable of upgrading to 6GB if he wants to (although 4GB is plenty for most users' needs). Hard drives are super easy to switch out as well. The increase in processing speed is probably negligible for your brother's use, and honestly the backlit keyboard shouldn't be a deal breaker for anybody. Plenty of users in this forum opted to get the 2.0 Alu MB over the 2.4 simply because they could not justify the price difference for the speed and backlit keyboard and are quite happy using their machines. And although the screens on the Alu MB aren't as good as the ones on the 13" Alu MBPs, they are still better than the screens that were used when they were first released.

I say tell your brother to use it and be happy he got a Mac instead of a Windows based PC... That bitter taste will disappear soon enough and he won't look back.

17. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, that was perfect. Just what he will need to hear. :)

18. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Tell him he has a laptop that does not run vista.

19. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

20. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

No need to hide your shame behind a fictitious sibling. And I think you're more worked up over not having the latest and greatest than your parents are about paying for what you got.

Be happy. All is well. Besides... the new ones dent just the same as yours.

21. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Not running Vista will make anybody happy! :D

22. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Damn that sucks, but on the other hand he's the proud owner of the one and only generation of aluminum MacBooks :)

I feel exactly how he does - my parents paid for part of my 15" MacBook Pro barely 2 months ago, I paid the rest (it's for my studies), so I was really pissed off when I woke up this morning to find that here in Australia the updated model is $500 less then what I paid only several weeks back.
    The only consolation for me is that if I got the updated low-end 15" I wouldn't have the discrete Nvidia 9600 graphics chip and no ExpressCard slot (I've one of the few that have a use for it). I still feel screwed around though! :p

Does having the original low-end unibody MBP count? After all, the new one's not low-end anymore! Please let me into your club :p

23. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

^You're better off IMO because you have the removable battery and ExpressCard34!!

24. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I agree, I've never understood the non-removable battery thing. I mean, sure, it lasts longer and won't need replacement as often, but at least with a removable one you can go out and buy a new one when it dies, and if it's faulty you don't have to get the computer totally disassembled. It's acceptable for iPods and iPhones because a battery cover would make them ugly, but on a computer, personally, I don't think it's as big an issue.

Heh, sorry OP for being off topic :)

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

^ It makes perfect sense if your goal is to restrict users from replacing their batteries through any means but Apple, which is precisely what Apple's goal is. They didn't make the battery non-replaceable for your convenience, but for theirs. It's just an extension of other proprietary accessories in the lineup (e.g., the $100 AC adapters, the $20 mini-DVI to DVI adapter, etc).