Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
For those of you who have received the case, can someone please take a picture of the view form the back? There is a very weird cut in the back I just want to make sure this is a design thing for a flaw.... i believe it is the second..... :eek:

There is no lip to speak of from my quick observation. Maybe just need to put on the screen protector. i really like mine for 4s. I dropped the phone 5 time with the case without any problems for the 4s. This one I may not be so sure about....

Um, my pics show the back as well. What additional view do you need? Are you referring to the ThinEdge for the ip5?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Well finally got mine. First of all, they shipped the black one, and I ordered Silver. Second, the side buttons are extremely difficult to push. Third and most important, is that the case will not work with the 30 pin dock connector cable. I knew the 30 pin converter wouldn't work but I was hoping to use the dock connector cable to hook in to my iHome dock and in the car.

Pretty much a waste of money for me. My quest continues.

It's disappointing to hear that it doesn't work with the 30-pin Lightning adapter cable since that's something I needed as well for my car's audio system. However, I really like the look of it and may just take a Dremel to that opening to see if I can get it to fit. Finally got shipping info on mine so hope to get it next week.

They going to do anything about shipping you the silver instead of black?

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
It's disappointing to hear that it doesn't work with the 30-pin Lightning adapter cable since that's something I needed as well for my car's audio system. However, I really like the look of it and may just take a Dremel to that opening to see if I can get it to fit. Finally got shipping info on mine so hope to get it next week.

They going to do anything about shipping you the silver instead of black?

Your dremel might be better put to use against the connector end rather than the case itself. Let us know how that works out for you (post pics). As for the Silver, I actually like the way the black look and was flipping back and forth whether I had made a mistake ordering Silver instead or the black.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Received my black ThinEdge today.

Pros: thin (noticeably thinner than the monoprice/photive/poetic bumpers); great soft feel; no problem accessing/pressing any of the buttons and minimal front lip (people wanting more lay on the table protection on the front will find that to be a negative - but I do not like the look or feel of a big front lip).

Cons: was supposed to come with two clips but mine only came with red clip (I planned on using the black/slate clip); fitment is not perfect - the sides bow out very slightly. I'm hoping that the fitment issue will resolve itself over time (my ThinEdge iP4 didn't bow at all and fit perfectly), because sub-par fitment is a deal breaker for me. I'll try the usual hairdryer/rubber band thing as well to see if that helps.

UPDATE: I'm an idiot. It turns out the black/slate fastener clip was included after all. I didn't see it because it was in a plastic bag about 20x larger than the clip itself which was bunched up and stuffed into the bottom of the packaging. I've now switched our the red clip for the black/slate one and it does match the slate back very well in terms of color and finish.

dnt408

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012

Attached are my images...

As stated before, its not like the one for the 4/4S. The front has a small no lip at all. The back actually does have a small lip. Because of this, if you have a protector for the back, it has to line up exactly or else, the bumper will "eat" into it and cause a bubble. I had to cut a little off my back protector to avoid the bubble. Since the front has no lip, its pretty flat and you should be fine with any screen protector.

As for the holes, they fit perfectly. As you can see from my photo, if you don't use the apple cable, you might have problem with the usb cable. After market cable will probably not work. I wonder if I should dremel it to make it larger.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 146

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Well they got back to my email and said that 'due to overwhelming demand it was sold out in 3 days'

They are however sending me another case for compensation...apparently. Not sure if it is another thinedge or something else but good customer service nonetheless.

Ugh. It would be nice if these companies could be proactive and get back to customers to let them know of delays rather than waiting for us to get pissed and hassle them about it. I had the same issue with Poetic...waited two weeks and then asked when they were planning on shipping it and they were like, "Oh, yeah, there was a lot of demand so we won't have any for another month." I understand the demand is up there, but better customer service would be greatly appreciated. I emailed the Caze people this morning after waiting 11 days but haven't heard back yet.

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
Um, my pics show the back as well. What additional view do you need? Are you referring to the ThinEdge for the ip5?

Yes thin edge for ip5. I just need a more focused picture right above phone jack. There is a little nick which I don't think is right. Just want to make sure.

Thanks!

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Yes thin edge for ip5. I just need a more focused picture right above phone jack. There is a little nick which I don't think is right. Just want to make sure.

Thanks!

Not sure what you are referring to but here's a pic of the bottom. There are no problems with the make of the case. Everything fits as it should and there are no problems with any type of defects.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353589207.925937.jpg

myfavoritePA

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
USA
Has anyone tried this case with a Spigen glas.t(R) or a Bodyguardz Pure? I'm wondering if it fits with these screen protectors and if so, if the screen protector is flush with the lip of the bumper.

dnt408

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Has anyone tried this case with a Spigen glas.t(R) or a Bodyguardz Pure? I'm wondering if it fits with these screen protectors and if so, if the screen protector is flush with the lip of the bumper.

You should be fine as long as the screen protector doesn't go beyond the screen dimension. The bumper is basically flush with the screen. The only lip or "lay on table" is on the back side only.

barbosas

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Does anyone know if the lightning to micro usb adapter will fit this bumper?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Does the case pull away from the sides if you press gently on it? That's the only failing I've had with hard bumpers...they sometimes feel like they could easily pull away and snap if you caught it funny. Does it fit tightly? It looks sharp.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Does the case pull away from the sides if you press gently on it? That's the only failing I've had with hard bumpers...they sometimes feel like they could easily pull away and snap if you caught it funny. Does it fit tightly? It looks sharp.

There is a little give on either side but nothing really to be concerned about. I can't imagine any situation that would cause that play to be of any issue in normal everyday use.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009

As the other poster said, there is some slight give, but I can't really see it snapping unless violently abused. The case is made out of the same Grilamid TR-90 material that the ThinEdge for iPhone 4 was made out and that most higher quality sport sunglass frames are made out of, and that stuff is damn near unbreakable in normal use.

As an aside, for those of you who have noted that the lightning/30pin adapter cable doesn't work with this case, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes with a file to make it work fine (I filed the the adapter - not the case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.