My dad broke his screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LondonGooner, Jun 30, 2010.

1. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Sods law that it breaks in 1 week. I usually treated my 3G very rough but my dads 2 years is still as new. I have to admit it's not a well thought out design. What's the point of sexy apple design if they're tucked up in a case.

Wanted to upload picture but don't know how to on iPad

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Pictures? I fear dropping my iPhone always all these threads scare me.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the increase volume in threads about the glass breaking, I tend to agree that the design is flawed in so much that its much too delicate.

I have one on order for my wife, she has dropped her 3G a number of times, I'm a bit nervous over this.

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Sounds like you need to buy her this

http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/iphone-4-ballistic-hc-series-case

5. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Even a bumper will protect it and it doesn't totally take away from the design... A case is much better then shattering your iPhone.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I have been treating my iPhone 4 like a baby. I bought a slip case for it which it always stays in and if it's not in it, it rests on it in my hand or lies on it when it's on a flat surface so that the back doesn't scratch. I haven't dropped the phone once or hit it against anything.

Last night I was inspecting it and found a dent in the back glass. I was shocked. It's not huge, but it's there and it bothers me... especially with how well I have been taking care of it.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Same for me, except for mine was a scratch on the front glass. It freaked me out. It's always in its dock or in my hand or in a pocket by itself. I don't know what caused it.

9. army91c macrumors 6502a

What's the design flaw? All the whiners crying about their broken glass need to answer one question..... Did the screen break while the phone was just sitting there or did you drop aka abuse the phone? If it broke while you were just standing there minding your own business, that is a design flaw. If you abused the phone aka dropped it, tuff titties! Maybe you should be more careful with your $700 phone.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The iPHone 3GS did this, so the iPhone 4 may too. Also, it's a phone, something that you carry with you everywhere. It should hold up to some damage.

11. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yeah.... guess you didn't see this video: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=951675

I would have to say it held up just fine.

Did you just say the 3g/3gs just broke for no reason? Cracks in plastic backs yes, screen shatter, no. Now I know some claimed that it happened just that way but IMHO they're full of it.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

stop asking for pictures. It's getting old. :rolleyes:

OP, maybe I just don't get what's going on with these phones where more people are reporting breaking their screens in the first week than I recall ever happening with past models. Your dad should go to Apple and see what they say. Some have had to pay while others were handed new phones.

13. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yeah because people never lie.:rolleyes:

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I never said lie. I said that people have posted here saying their screens broke because they dropped their phone. They've reported that they've gone into the Apple store and told them what happened and they were handed a new phone or paid for a new one.

When you drop your phone and crack your screen it is fairly impossible to lie and say it came that way or you don't know exactly what happened. I never said lie, I don't condone defrauding anyone, and I don't assume people are suggesting that others lie because I can't comprehend a simple post giving sage advice to a fellow member. :rolleyes:

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

Sure it's easy to lie about it. I dropped my phone and broke my screen. See, very easy to do. Now people ask for pics because they believe some of the people are full of poo, as do I. How hard is it to post a pic of said broken screen?

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

agreed the old line pictures or it never happened is wearing thin.

17. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

The design flaw is that the edges of the glass of the new iphone 4 are exposed.
    The edge of a glass is its weakest point. Therefore even a slight light tap/hit with a more dense material can shatter the iphones glass sandwich.

Btw, accidents do happen. If you carry a mobile device with you all the time, its either you have dropped it already, or will drop it in the future.

Never underestimate the power of denial.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It would have helped if you were referring to the request for photos and not my advice on what to do in order to get a replacement (pay or hope there's a nice Apple employee in store). Think about it there tiger. ;)

And who cares if he's lying. It's not as if this thread is some sensational place to discuss anything of importance. His dad's phone, along with a handful of others on this site, dropped and broke. Filed under: who gives a crap.

19. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Get a Speck Candyshell from ATT.com (most stores are sold out).

20. raj9103 macrumors newbie

21. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors regular

It's a phone the whole point is to carry it around, and by it's very nature should handle basic wear and tear.

And like I said I cant post a picture because I don't know how to upload from my iPad. Will do when I leave work in 4 hours

Dont get me wrong I do want a case, my family bought 3 phones on Thursday...but the apple shop has none ATM.

22. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I am far from an apple apologist or an apple basher.

And I love my iPhone 4.

To say a MOBILE phone is not flawed because it doesn't break when SITTING there is asinine. A Mobile phone, by definition, is to be used when on the move. There are hundreds of millions of these type of phones in use everyday. They get dropped and keep working.

For an expensive phone to break as easily as this one supposedly does *could* be considered a flawed design.

Should people be more careful? No doubt, but accidents do happen especially
    when used ON THE MOVE.

It's not called a Sedentary Phone for a reason.

23. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

This is what kind of baffled me about the new design and explains the existence of the bumper even more.

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

all other phones aren't made out of glass.

25. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

Adjust the tin foil on your head and you might be able to think properly.

PS to others - pictures on threads with a broken screen are not "old", they are perfectly justified. There's a lot to be said by looking at the breakage patterns. Just because some people aren't intelligent enough to understand them, doesn't mean everybody is.