My Dad just told me...

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
That he knows a lot of people and they all say Steave Jobs is a complete Jacka**. That he has such a big ego and he's always yelling and he told everyone that he HAS to come out with an iPhone. I just don't want my "idol" to be mean:mad:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
You will find that many of the most successful people in the world are complete jackasses when you finally meet them. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, Dale Chihuly, Martha Stewart, Donald Trump, Pablo Picasso, Jackson Pollock, the list goes on and on. Force of personality, which often drives people to success, also makes them a bitter pill to swallow. And some very successful people have diagnosed psychological disorders which give on the one hand (creativity, ambition, etc.) and take on the other (bipolar, autistic/Asperger, etc.).

It's not often that you meet a very successful person who's not an ass when you meet them in person. When you do (as I have, several times), it's VERY cool. Some of the best artists in the world are just plain nice people when you meet them.

Comment

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Your dad's friends are wayyyy wrong. I have met him and no, he's not a jack@$$. He is actually a very inteligent and kind person, unlike Bill Gates who is a complete jack@$$ and knows jack $#!T about computers and the products he is trying to sell.

Comment

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yeah, sure, Steve's got his personal *ahem* quirks, but then again, how many corporate figures with that kind of power are completely sane? And you can't argue (usually) with Steve's results.

EDIT: Yes, reberto, that is a good point as well. Of course there are the stories that make him come off as a jack@$$ at work, but I can't really comment on him as a person.

Comment

stoid

macrumors 601
Go read The Second Coming of Steve Jobs, it paints a fairly accurate portrait of Steve Jobs in his first term at Apple. He was not the nicest guy to work for. Many say that his time away from Apple has changed him, and calmed him down, but I hear that he loses his temper from time to time. I recall that during a MacWorld keynote, Steve was demoing an early version of iPhoto, and when he plugged in a digital camera something went wrong, and Steve threw the camera at an off stage techie.

Comment

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
reberto said:
Your dad's friends are wayyyy wrong. I have met him and no, he's not a jack@$$. He is actually a very inteligent and kind person, unlike Bill Gates who is a complete jack@$$ and knows jack $#!T about computers and the products he is trying to sell.
And you know this about Billg because you've met him?

I have met Bill, a few times... and while he is demanding, he was very down to earth when I met him. (Didn't hurt that he had a couple of beers in him one of the times.) Then again, I've never sat across a table from him and been told that all of the code I've written over the past year is garbage, as I've heard he's done MANY times.

Comment

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
G5Unit said:
That he knows a lot of people and they all say Steave Jobs is a complete Jacka**. That he has such a big ego and he's always yelling and he told everyone that he HAS to come out with an iPhone. I just don't want my "idol" to be mean:mad:
What did you ened up getting for Christmas and your B-Day?

Sorry, off-topic.

I wouldn't change your mind about Steve until you meet him and he makes you feel differently.

Comment

stoid

macrumors 601
clayj said:
Then again, I've never sat across a table from him and been told that all of the code I've written over the past year is garbage, as I've heard he's done MANY times.
Yeah, but Bill is in charge at Microsoft, and I think that it's important that the leadership of a large and powerful group of people have a firm sense of reality and be able to speak the truth when the group seems to be going in the wrong direction. Would you rather that Bill Gates would form this alternate reality in his mind and convince himself that his company was writing good software?

(Just realized that this post might need to be moved to the political forum :eek: )

Comment

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Well, there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions here. But if he has to run a big company I guess it's ok to yell a lot.

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
reberto said:
You apparently didn't meet Steve when he was yelling at someone with his office door open and throwing some substandard product out that same door.

Bill Gates isn't nice either, but he knows plenty. I wouldn't want him to develop software but he could certainly sell it.

Comment

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Steve Jobs comes across as the sort of person I could talk to for hours. And if he didn't, I'd kidnap him. :p

No seriously, I would really like to meet him someday. If only for a very brief moment and even if he punched me, I'd walk away smiling (unless he punched my teeth in).

I think a lot of people in a similar "power" position have an egocentric personality and they have to or else they wouldn't be so great at what they do.

"Mother Teresa" Steve Jobs wouldn't be good at doing business. :eek:

Comment

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
clayj said:
Then again, I've never sat across a table from him and been told that all of the code I've written over the past year is garbage, as I've heard he's done MANY times.
I'm sure he has done it many times since the code that is being written is Windows.
:rolleyes:

Comment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
G5Unit said:
Slap Shot 2
As in the hockey movie..... that second was terrible IMO. However the first and the original one is hilarious, i put it on my ipod :D :p "hey Hanrahand (sp) your wife's a...i know she told me" :D :D

Comment

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
G5Unit said:
Well, I got spoiled again:D
2405fpw
Blues Brothers
Slap Shot 2
My Cousin Vinny
A couple starbucks cards

Why?
Because there was this big riddle thing you ahd going on, right?

Comment

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
mac-er said:
I'm sure he has done it many times since the code that is being written is Windows.
:rolleyes:
It's more that the executive in question (Bill, Steve, Steve) has a preconceived idea of how THEY would perform a specific task, but they're not the ones doing it... so when they see something they don't like, and if they're just having a bad day, they vent liquid hot magma over any hapless employee who happens to be in the way.

Comment

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Never confuse a product you like with the person that created it.

Here's another book which describes Steve Jobs as a brilliant jackass. There are others.

Just because people are capable of designing something wonderful doesn't mean that they are wonderful people themselves. In the sports world, there's a number of people who are fantastic players but are poor excuses for human beings. And haven't we all heard of fans who admire certain actors, only to be disappointed when they finally meet them and find out that they're jerks?

Comment

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
I think CEOs have to be very aggressive with their employees. They have to energize them in order to succeed in the marketplace. Of course, being a total jerk would not thrill me in the least and I think there are better ways to get the job done. But hey, to each his own.

Comment

XNine

macrumors 68040
Agreed, a CEO of Job's caliber can't be the nicest guy all the time. You have to have (as anyone in any kind of management position who gives a damn will tell you) discipline.

If you don't, you're employees are like "My boss is my best friend" and do whatever they wish.

Im sure he's a hardass when he needs to be, but given the opportunities I've had to receive emails from him when I worked at Apple, his tone is generally very calm and very "forward movement" minded.

Comment

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
personally i don't care about the people who make the products that entertain/ work for me. it's like the dixie chicks thing, she said something political and several bush lovers freaked out and destroyed their CDs. how stupid. did that really change their music any? i don't give two craps about these "celebrity" opinions so long as the products i utilize are still functional.

for the record i abhor country music, i'd rather jam an ice pick in my ear than listen to most of that rubbish... but the comparison worked here. ;)

so Steve might be a total jackass but who really cares? apple is still a good company whether or not he throws temper tantrums.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.