Carrier My data usage with VZW LTE so far...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Namji, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Hi All,

I just wanted to give my experience on how much data I've used with the iPhone 5S.

Little background... I'm coming from a iPhone 4 unlimited on VZW.. My usual data usage a month is below 1 gb... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1634529

I received and activated the iPhone 5S on October 18th and as of today, my data usage is at 6.9 gb. :eek: I knew that my data usage would increase due to the speed of this phone but, I didn't realize it would be 6 times the increase.. ( I'm glad, I still have unlimited data )

After analyzing the data usage on my Verizon website, I noticed that during my sleeping hours there are data usages.. I have several data usage at 2 am and 3 am.. which is impossible since I am asleep and my phone is charging..
    Could there be a app that is running in the background using up the data?

My usage cycle started from October 13th ( still using iPhone 4 ) and there was no data used during my sleeping hours... but after the 18th is when I noticed the usages which I've concluded it is either the iPhone 5S or a new app I downloaded with my new phone..

Anyone else have similar experiences??

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

3. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Also on Verizon but I can't say that I've seen a data spike. I gave up the unlimited plan since I never went past half a gigabyte of data anyway. Right now I'm at .254GB with the cycle ending in 15 days. Looks like I'll be par for the course by that time.

As for what's eating up your data, it's probably an app running in the background that's refreshing. I've disabled background app refreshing to avoid that problem. I think you can disable it on a per-app basis if you can figure out the offending app.

4. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Sure I get emails 24/7 but I didn't think these messages would use up any significant amount of data? Some of the usages at early mornings are .117 gb ( 120 mb ).

----------

Only thing that is running in the background app refresh is my app runkeeper which I have not used in a while. Every other app is turned off. I've also closed all apps before docking my phone to charge.

5. rockitdog macrumors 68020

My data usage with VZW LTE so far...

Make sure you know what is running in your background and turn all unnecessary apps off.

[​IMG]

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

Verizon probably consolidates some daytime usage into a nighttime line number, like AT&T does

i have an AT&T iphone 5 and a verizon Galaxy S3 and use 500MB - 1.5GB per month on each phone. the S3 is on unlimited data

i've had every iphone since the 3G and have also had an HTC Inspire 4g and a droid pro and my data usage has always been the same

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Verizon's website is not an up to the minute tool for managing data. Data will be added to recent usage all throughout the day and night. No particular time or order. So if you are seeing spikes in the middle of the night, it's most likely the previous days usage all bundled into a few large chunks.

8. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Ahh okay. Thank you for the explanation.

I'm still shocked to see how much data I've used.. I guess it is true once you have LTE speeds you use your mobile phone more.. I know with my iPhone 4 and slow 3G speeds I only checked emails and occasional facebook and texting..

Now with LTE I browse the internet, transfer and upload pictures in a instant! :D

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

my father in law when he got his S3, the first month he used 7GB watching youtube all day at work

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

You also want to look in the Cellular menu to see what apps are using what. I disabled Plants vs. Zombies 2 after it used 200mb in a day.

Attached Files:

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

200MB in one day? did it download a huge data update one time? Deer Hunter does this

12. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

here is mine...

Attached Files:

13. Derek87 macrumors 6502

can't see the details in your screen capture...i think the previous post was pointing out that you could scroll through this list and see what your primary usage culprit was. the ones you show are small,

for me my large ones are:

Safari
    Mail
    NYTimes
    Facebook
    System Services

the latter, from what i understand maybe an overestimate of your actual usage. for me, it is: my DNS usage is high in that listing and in the end, i am using less when i compare against AT&T's counter (100mb vs 300mb for system services)

when ios7 came out, i noticed that video once used 1gb for me! turns out (i think) iCloud tried to push a movie to my phone. i turned off cellular service to that app and other apps i don't think i'll need when not on wifi.

14. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Ahh I see... I've scrolled all the way down and noticed the highest usage is Youtube at 2.7 gb, Speedtest app at 1.2 gb.. Facebook at 684 mb, app store ( probably downloading apps and updating apps ) at 401 mb and bunch of smaller ones. This is interesting.

15. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

left sprint 1 month ago after being with them for 12 years. Went with at&t. l im satisfied with their services and LTE speeds. Yesterday my first cycle ended with them. I have 3 lines. We all use our phones like normal. My mom, wife, and I. Both my wife and I have wifi at office and home. My mom uses it some. I was hesitant at first but we only used 4GB in total from our 6GB plan. Mind you we used our phones like normal without being scared just like when was on sprint unlimited data. So don't be scared. Use your data. Enjoy your phone.

16. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

I am not really worried.. just shocked that my usage increased dramatically..
    I have unlimited data with Verizon so I am good to go... :)

17. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

no WiFi at home?

other than what other's have said, could be apps updating...do you have them set to update anytime?

iCloud backups?

18. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

you defiantly have something in the background eating up your data. turn off stock app. weather app. turn these off from background refresh (if you don't use these) How many emails you have on your phone? if more than 1 and one of those emails constantly is getting spam after spam delete it from your phone. I did this awhile back on for an email I had for years that all it got was spam spam spam. All of that uses data.

19. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Again, I am not worried at all about how much data I am using since I do have unlimited data plan and yes I do have wifi at home / at work which I am at 90% of the time of my life during the week.

I was just trying to see how much data I was using comparing my iP4 and my new iP5S with LTE speeds.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is something more to it than simply support of LTE.

21. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Verizon probably hates me :D
    It's also probably good to say that I still have till November 23rd for this billing period.

Attached Files:

22. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Wow! How are you able to use that much data? LOL

23. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

I honestly have no idea. Since I definitely still have unlimited data, I don't care about my data usage. I use iTunes Radio all the time which takes up a lot of data. Also my college's wifi sucks and I almost always have full LTE, so I never use wifi except at night for wifi sync and iCloud.

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I can imagine how quickly the 200MB free data on T-Mobile is used up :D.

25. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I've used almost 29GB and my cycle ends in in 20 days....
    last month I hit 102.6GB.

Surprised people still deal with MB's of data.