My Dog Had To Be Put Down

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My dog (well really, my dad's dog) had to be put down today. I don't know the details, but apparently it had something to do with the medication she's on. I wasn't really a fan of this dog, but for some reason this really hit me hard. I guess when a living thing dies, no matter if you like it or not, you really feel it.

Any body else loose a pet before?

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, i did last summer, my first dog. He was only 4 and died because his stomach flipped or something. It hit my whole family really hard. Sorry about your loss.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I put down my 15 year old cat this past October. I had him from six months old. He had a brain tumor. I cried uncontrollably for about an hour. It was the worst thing I've ever had to do.

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm sorry for your loss :(

One of my dogs got hit by a car about two years ago, the driver never stopped :mad:

5. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Aw man that really is a bummer. I miss all of mine that have passed on to doggie heaven where they are chasing butterflies in wide open fields, waiting for me to join them.:eek:

6. BustAGroove macrumors newbie

Our German Shepherd, Bingo, that we had for about 15 years died a few days before we left for vacation this past August. His quality of life started getting worse at the middle part of this year. Bingo had a hard time getting up, couldn't see or hear very well. Bingo was such a mellow, gentle doggie, so it was hard to tell that he was getting worse. The final condition that caused him to deteriorate rapidly is sad and I'd prefer not to share the gory details. It was very painful to come to decision to put Bingo down.

My family decided the next time we were to get new doggies that we would get 2. We'll we've had Batman (male) & Robin (female) AKC German Shepherds pups for about 2 weeks now. They are from the same litter.

We had decided to have Bingo cremated and for now the container with his ashes is ontop of the fireplace mantle.

RIP Bingy :(

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

had to put down two dogs. one i was only five for and don't remember much, but he was a malamute and would eat anything and everything. got sick as a result. other one we had since then and we put down a couple years back after he had kidney failure and his quality of life was horrible.

i don't even want to think about losing my kitty.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I have personally lost 2 parakeets, and one cat. My family has lost a bunch more. Of course, it doesn't get any easier.:(

Sorry to hear about your dad's loss, how does he feel about losing the dog? (If you dont mind me asking)

9. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

He's pretty upset about the whole thing. The dog was about 7 years old, and she's been sick for a while, but until now the medication was working well enough to keep her alive. I myself still haven't got over the shock.

10. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Yeah that sucks man. Sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are great. Makes me sad to know that everything has to go.

11. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Pets I have lost: :(

Cat - needed to be put down at about 14, we guess as we were not completely sure of her age when we found her in the street. She was having kidney issues and lost half her weight in a week, and would only lie in my mothers lap in the end.

Cat - needed to be put down after a few years, some sort of gland problem.

Cat - ran away from a friends home, could not find.

Gerbils (2), Hamster, lizards (2/3), fish (too many, various species)

And there is probably more. Currently only have a cat, 2 1/2 years old, and so hope will have a while to go. Its always sad when a pet dies, as its a part of the family that you have put energy and love into.

Out..

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Our dog was hit by a car when he was a year old. Actually he was hit twice within a couple of months. The first time we thought he'd been killed, the second time he had. I had to bury him in the back garden. That was sad. If you've had your dog for most of your lifetime then it must almost be like losing a human family member.

13. dodong macrumors member

dodong

I really like that. That's what I felt when my dog died last December. I can even felt his presence several days after he's gone. I thought of putting him down to spare him and myself of the misery, but decided to let nature takes its course. Right now, a new dog came into our house and that somewhat compensates for the loss.

14. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

Bummer, sorry to hear that. About 7 years ago my shih-tzu died at 16 years. I noticed his health dwindling the last year or so, and during the last few months of his life my mom suggested we take him in, but he never seemed that bad. HE had troulbe getting up on his own but could walk ok. On his last day alive he could barely move and just layed there. We finally decided it was the right time, and on the way to the vet he started howling and wailing and went to the bathroom on me (should have wrapped him in a towel, lol). I think he was barely still with it by the time we got him inside. I was glad that we never put him down earlier but I just hope we didn't cause him too much pain by not doing it earlier. Since I grew up with the dog it hit me hard and I still think of him pretty much every day.

15. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Yeah, I've had my miniature schnauzer, Mr. Shanks, since I was 4. I cried so hard for a dog; I wanted one for Christmas. I'm really close to him, and he's a really sensitive dog. He just turned 11, and I'm hoping he stays a few more years. He's in pretty good shape, except for his knees are in bad shape, and his prostate isn't that great, either.

We got another schnauzer last year, and she's the opposite of him. Her attitude about everything is "well, THIS will be fun!" She's still nice to hold, though, because she stayed rather small, and our other dog won't come near you for a week if you try and pick him up.

16. user13 macrumors regular

user13

Bastard! (the driver). I've seen the same scene near my house - a truck driver hit a vagabond dog and didn't even stop. The poor thing was crying so loud lying there, that I could restrain from coming out to help him. His legs obviously were broken. Poor thing... I hope he made it well - i had to call to the vet service, so they came and took him away

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

We have a dog we're about to put down. She's old, can barely walk, doesn't hear anything, and his sight decreases very fast. She has survived to a train running over her, and, a few years later, a car (its front bumper even fall apart after the crash). It's the typical dumb dog, but we'll miss her.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Sorry for your loss. I have lost six dogs and 8 cats over my lifetime and it never gets easier. One dog was 16 years old. One cat was 21 and two were 19 when they passed on. Putting one down because of medical reasons is about the hardest thing one can do.

19. lukegarnz macrumors member

I feel your pain, my family have had to put down 3 dogs in total. All french bulldogs. the first was the mother of our pups and died quite soon after they were born of a brain tumour. I was young so don't remember much about it. The next was the dad of the pups and he died of liver cancer or seomthing. His quality of life got so bad we had to put him down. I went to school that day and just cried all day but didn't want to go home. The last was one of the pups, he died of liver cancer also. He was a crazy dog that would play with me all the time. He got ill quite quick and had to be put down. We'v e still got 2 of the pups who are nearly 14. One is totally deaf and blind but his nose works fine. The other is deaf and losing her sight. Not sure they'll be around for much longer and one of them is losing weight far too quickly.

You just need to think of the good times and how great the dogs were and it makes it all worth the pain.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sorry to hear about your loss.

My kid's day care provider just had to put her family's dog down on Tuesday. The kids were all tore up. Sad thing is, she just had to put one of her horses down about 3 months previous.

On a related note, I almost lost my mutt about a month ago. He took off after a horse, and got kicked. Luckily the horse only cut my dog's rear leg up pretty bad, but I was watching it and fearing that I would be taking a very broken dog to the vet. Then about 2 weeks later the dog developed a lump on his side. Not sure if it was related to the horse kick, but he had to have surgery for a torn muscle along his rib cage. He had to wear a bandage around his midsection for almost two weeks after that.

Now we call him Frankendog because he's got a 4" long scar going up his side and his fur hasn't grown back in yet.

21. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Sorry to hear that.

A few years back, an ex had this dog since she was about 6 or 7. It lived for 14 years, until we had to put it to sleep. I had only been around it for about 4 years and I was pretty much devastated when we had to do it. :(

They definitely become part of the family. Condolences.

22. gazelleintense macrumors regular

gazelleintense

we put two dogs down over the years... i hate it. have not had a pet since. they can break your heart. :(

I put their names here...

http://petloss.com/

gave me some comfort.... it's never easy though.

23. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

24. TimJim macrumors 6502a

25. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

To try and cheer you up, here is a dog related joke.

"We had a dog that died not long ago, its a shame really since we had just got it used to going without food "