Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexlevi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2015
I received my 42mm SS with Milanese Loop on launch day, and fell in love. Quickly I realized that I was missing notifications when I wasn't paying full attention to my wrist or moving around. It dawned on me that the haptic feedback was weaker than I remember from my try on appointment. Even prominent feedback felt weak, sort of like a battery powered fan that's running very low on power.

I chatted with Apple support and in no time they had a box shipped out to me with a special way to pack the watch... What can only be described as two pieces of strong cellophane encapsulating the Watch and suspending it in a way that won't allow any damage to happen. The box came with Apple Watch specific service instructions and instructed the user to remove the band and keep any accessories.

It shipped with a prepaid, pre-affixed Fedex overnight label and arrived at the service center today. Within minutes they marked it as "service completed" and then "Product replacement pending." This means that the Taptic Engine must have been faulty. The estimated turnaround time is 3-5 days.

Overall, very easy. Let's hope the replacement works as it should, and it's a nice reset from the hairline scratches the SS had amassed in only a week... Something I'm not crazy about.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I received my 42mm SS with Milanese Loop on launch day, and fell in love. Quickly I realized that I was missing notifications when I wasn't paying full attention to my wrist or moving around. It dawned on me that the haptic feedback was weaker than I remember from my try on appointment. Even prominent feedback felt weak, sort of like a battery powered fan that's running very low on power.

I chatted with Apple support and in no time they had a box shipped out to me with a special way to pack the watch... What can only be described as two pieces of strong cellophane encapsulating the Watch and suspending it in a way that won't allow any damage to happen. The box came with Apple Watch specific service instructions and instructed the user to remove the band and keep any accessories.

It shipped with a prepaid, pre-affixed Fedex overnight label and arrived at the service center today. Within minutes they marked it as "service completed" and then "Product replacement pending." This means that the Taptic Engine must have been faulty. The estimated turnaround time is 3-5 days.

Overall, very easy. Let's hope the replacement works as it should, and it's a nice reset from the hairline scratches the SS had amassed in only a week... Something I'm not crazy about.

So, they won't send a replacement until you return the watch? Or did you have the option to get a replacement right away if they charged your card for it?

lexlevi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2015
So, they won't send a replacement until you return the watch? Or did you have the option to get a replacement right away if they charged your card for it?

They didn't give me the option. I had to send it out for inspection before getting a replacement, probably an early capture of faulty units for their records.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
They didn't give me the option. I had to send it out for inspection before getting a replacement, probably an early capture of faulty units for their records.

I wouldn't accept that on a brand new product.

My replacement was handled completely differently (crashing/randomly rebooting). They placed a replacement order, which was originally due to ship in June, however it actually shipped the next day (they give priority to replacements, apparently). Once I received the new one, I organised the courier to pick up the old one.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

At least 3-5 days isn't that long a turn-around time. Not too bad an experience it seems to me, especially given the stock constraints the Watch is under right now.

lexlevi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2015
I wouldn't accept that on a brand new product.

My replacement was handled completely differently (crashing/randomly rebooting). They placed a replacement order, which was originally due to ship in June, however it actually shipped the next day (they give priority to replacements, apparently). Once I received the new one, I organised the courier to pick up the old one.

I agree, I wish that's what they would have done.

----------

At least 3-5 days isn't that long a turn-around time. Not too bad an experience it seems to me, especially given the stock constraints the Watch is under right now.

True. They must have stocked up really well with these situations in mind.

pjschmid

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
I wish my experience were as good

I got my watch on Friday May 1st. It hast worked from the moment I got it. I'm still waiting for Amy meaningful reply from support. It doesn't sense my wrist so it's perpetually locked. It's been a very disappointing and frustrating expierience.

I'm traveling now but it's going back when I get home.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I heard that stores are having to ship them out anyway, so I opted to ship it out myself rather than make the trip.

Did you ask them if they'd send you one before you sent yours?

Express replacement, like they do for iPhones and the like?

Because I swear I thought I saw another thread where someone did that.

----------

I got my watch on Friday May 1st. It hast worked from the moment I got it. I'm still waiting for Amy meaningful reply from support. It doesn't sense my wrist so it's perpetually locked. It's been a very disappointing and frustrating expierience.

I'm traveling now but it's going back when I get home.

Are you wearing it too loosely? Did you remove the plastic backing?

pjschmid

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Are you wearing it too loosely? Did you remove the plastic backing?

I've adjusted it from modestly tight to quite tight. It's a Milanese loop so it fits quite well. Of course I've removed the plastic it wrapped all the way rowing the watch. Hard to miss.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I've adjusted it from modestly tight to quite tight. It's a Milanese loop so it fits quite well. Of course I've removed the plastic it wrapped all the way rowing the watch. Hard to miss.

Hmmmm. Yeah. Sounds defective. Do you have a wrist tattoo, perchance?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone know if they will only send you the replacement first if you have purchased AppleCare+ already? I think that may be the only time they offer that. And even then, it requires a credit card hold to ensure the old one gets sent back.

northofnowhere

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I've gone through the entire process too. Just got my replacement today. You only get the option for express replacement if you have AppleCare+ As someone mentioned, the repair depot is capturing all defective watches so they can study them for flaws. As to the comment about going to a store, Apple is not doing that. I went to every store in Los Angeles and nobody had replacements. You have to mail them all in.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Does anyone know if they will only send you the replacement first if you have purchased AppleCare+ already? I think that may be the only time they offer that. And even then, it requires a credit card hold to ensure the old one gets sent back.

Ahhhh. Yes. You need AC+. I have that. I always forget you need that to get Express because I always have it.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
I wonder if it's a process or no rhyme or reason to how they handle replacements.

Some get the watch itself with no band sent out first.

Some get a whole brand new sealed kit.

Some need to send theirs in first to receive the replacement after.

Doesn't make sense why they're being handled all differently

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I wonder if it's a process or no rhyme or reason to how they handle replacements.

Some get the watch itself with no band sent out first.

Some get a whole brand new sealed kit.

Some need to send theirs in first to receive the replacement after.

Doesn't make sense why they're being handled all differently

Well, the whole watch vs. watch casing sounds random unless people are reporting issues where the band connects to the watch.

The part about sending it out before getting a replacement has to do with whether or not one has AppleCare+

----------

No tattoos of any kind LOL

Just checking. ;)

Yup. Sounds like you need a replacement.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Well, the whole watch vs. watch casing sounds random unless people are reporting issues where the band connects to the watch.

The part about sending it out before getting a replacement has to do with whether or not one has AppleCare+

----------

Just checking. ;)

Yup. Sounds like you need a replacement.

Gotcha. Good to know. Thank you

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
I have Applecare+ and i've just sent my watch to Apple care support without getting a replacement. I didn't even ask for an express replacement because I couldn't wear it anyway, I'm having a reaction to the composite plastic dome.

I'm hoping care support will let me pay the difference and send me a SS watch as the replacement.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have Applecare+ and i've just sent my watch to Apple care support without getting a replacement. I didn't even ask for an express replacement because I couldn't wear it anyway, I'm having a reaction to the composite plastic dome.

I'm hoping care support will let me pay the difference and send me a SS watch as the replacement.

Why didn't you just ask for a SS replacement up front?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Doesn't anyone find the shipping instructions interesting? They want it shipped back with better protection that it was delivered in?

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Why didn't you just ask for a SS replacement up front?

Because there didn't see much point if i can't use it. I've sent back the Sport as the plastic backing is irritating my skin. A replacement watch would be the same. Once the Apple care support decide that the Sport watch isn't faulty they will hopefully allow me to up sell to a SS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.