My experience sending Apple Watch in for service

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lexlevi, May 4, 2015.

1. lexlevi macrumors newbie

I received my 42mm SS with Milanese Loop on launch day, and fell in love. Quickly I realized that I was missing notifications when I wasn't paying full attention to my wrist or moving around. It dawned on me that the haptic feedback was weaker than I remember from my try on appointment. Even prominent feedback felt weak, sort of like a battery powered fan that's running very low on power.

I chatted with Apple support and in no time they had a box shipped out to me with a special way to pack the watch... What can only be described as two pieces of strong cellophane encapsulating the Watch and suspending it in a way that won't allow any damage to happen. The box came with Apple Watch specific service instructions and instructed the user to remove the band and keep any accessories.

It shipped with a prepaid, pre-affixed Fedex overnight label and arrived at the service center today. Within minutes they marked it as "service completed" and then "Product replacement pending." This means that the Taptic Engine must have been faulty. The estimated turnaround time is 3-5 days.

Overall, very easy. Let's hope the replacement works as it should, and it's a nice reset from the hairline scratches the SS had amassed in only a week... Something I'm not crazy about.

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

So, they won't send a replacement until you return the watch? Or did you have the option to get a replacement right away if they charged your card for it?

3. lexlevi thread starter macrumors newbie

They didn't give me the option. I had to send it out for inspection before getting a replacement, probably an early capture of faulty units for their records.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I wouldn't accept that on a brand new product.

My replacement was handled completely differently (crashing/randomly rebooting). They placed a replacement order, which was originally due to ship in June, however it actually shipped the next day (they give priority to replacements, apparently). Once I received the new one, I organised the courier to pick up the old one.

5. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Airplanes hauling empty boxes... Green # so green.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

At least 3-5 days isn't that long a turn-around time. Not too bad an experience it seems to me, especially given the stock constraints the Watch is under right now.

7. lexlevi thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, I wish that's what they would have done.

----------

True. They must have stocked up really well with these situations in mind.

8. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

why not an in-store replacement?

9. lexlevi thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard that stores are having to ship them out anyway, so I opted to ship it out myself rather than make the trip.

10. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I wouldn't like doing that.

11. pjschmid macrumors member

I wish my experience were as good

I got my watch on Friday May 1st. It hast worked from the moment I got it. I'm still waiting for Amy meaningful reply from support. It doesn't sense my wrist so it's perpetually locked. It's been a very disappointing and frustrating expierience.

I'm traveling now but it's going back when I get home.

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Did you ask them if they'd send you one before you sent yours?

Express replacement, like they do for iPhones and the like?

Because I swear I thought I saw another thread where someone did that.

----------

Are you wearing it too loosely? Did you remove the plastic backing?

13. pjschmid macrumors member

I've adjusted it from modestly tight to quite tight. It's a Milanese loop so it fits quite well. Of course I've removed the plastic it wrapped all the way rowing the watch. Hard to miss.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Hmmmm. Yeah. Sounds defective. Do you have a wrist tattoo, perchance?

15. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Does anyone know if they will only send you the replacement first if you have purchased AppleCare+ already? I think that may be the only time they offer that. And even then, it requires a credit card hold to ensure the old one gets sent back.

16. northofnowhere macrumors member

Yeah, I've gone through the entire process too. Just got my replacement today. You only get the option for express replacement if you have AppleCare+ As someone mentioned, the repair depot is capturing all defective watches so they can study them for flaws. As to the comment about going to a store, Apple is not doing that. I went to every store in Los Angeles and nobody had replacements. You have to mail them all in.

17. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Ahhhh. Yes. You need AC+. I have that. I always forget you need that to get Express because I always have it.

18. pjschmid macrumors member

No tattoos of any kind LOL

19. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I wonder if it's a process or no rhyme or reason to how they handle replacements.

Some get the watch itself with no band sent out first.

Some get a whole brand new sealed kit.

Some need to send theirs in first to receive the replacement after.

Doesn't make sense why they're being handled all differently

20. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Well, the whole watch vs. watch casing sounds random unless people are reporting issues where the band connects to the watch.

The part about sending it out before getting a replacement has to do with whether or not one has AppleCare+

----------

Just checking. ;)

Yup. Sounds like you need a replacement.

21. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Gotcha. Good to know. Thank you

22. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

I have Applecare+ and i've just sent my watch to Apple care support without getting a replacement. I didn't even ask for an express replacement because I couldn't wear it anyway, I'm having a reaction to the composite plastic dome.

I'm hoping care support will let me pay the difference and send me a SS watch as the replacement.

23. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Why didn't you just ask for a SS replacement up front?

24. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Doesn't anyone find the shipping instructions interesting? They want it shipped back with better protection that it was delivered in?

25. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

Because there didn't see much point if i can't use it. I've sent back the Sport as the plastic backing is irritating my skin. A replacement watch would be the same. Once the Apple care support decide that the Sport watch isn't faulty they will hopefully allow me to up sell to a SS.