Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
May 28, 2009: I'm typing this on a brand new 2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro! Apple have agreed to arrange a replacement here in Saudi Arabia, after I contacted Apple again back in March. It took Apple more than 2 months to arrange the deal with their local representatives, much longer than expected.

I'm very grateful to Apple. I'm really glad this is finally over. :):D

UPDATE September 4th: Well, I expected to be in Canada a month ago. Unfortunately, I had to stay in Saudi Arabia. It also seems unlikely that I'll be in Canada anytime soon, maybe by December or even next summer. Earlier today I was on the phone with Apple Canada Executive Relations, and their only solution is to wait until the next time I'm in Canada. They are unable to ship a replacement MacBook Pro to me due to Saudi Arabia's own laws and custom regulations.

UPDATE July 2nd: Good news! I just received a call from Apple Executive Relations in response to my e-mails to Steve Jobs. She told me that Apple will have my MacBook Pro replaced when I come to Canada next month. She apologized that Apple cannot replace my MacBook Pro here in Saudi Arabia due to local laws regarding customs, and the fact that Apple does not operate directly in IMC countries.

I took the opportunity to raise my concerns regarding their IMC program and the bad name it's giving for Apple. She assured me that Apple aware of these concerns and that they're working hard on a solution for IMCs.

Let's see how this goes :)

NOTE: This is a VERY lengthy post.

I don't think it's very often to hear about someone's experience with Apple in Saudi Arabia. After two years of frustration, I finally feel it's time to share my experience.

Before digging into the details of my story, I want to point out the parties involved in it:

1- GlobalStore: An Apple Authorized Premium Reseller in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
2- Arab Computers: Apple's only official representative in Saudi Arabia, and the sole Apple Authorized Service Provider.
3- Apple Store Eaton Centre in Toronto.
4- Apple Canada Executive Relations.
5- Apple Customer Relations in the United States.
6- Apple Customer Relations in the United Kingdom.

So, let's start:

June 2006

It all began when I bought a 1.83 GHz 15" MacBook Pro from GlobalStore (then called Apple Center) on June 11 2006. I was very happy with the new machine, well, for about two weeks. The battery suddenly died; it didn't hold charge at all. I took the machine to GlobalStore, and to my surprise, they claimed that there are no replacement batteries available for MacBook Pros, and that they're not expecting a new shipment for another few months. However, they managed to get me a spare battery from one of their existing machines and gave it to me as a replacement.

Unfortunately, that didn't go so well. The replacement battery started to swell, and consequently damaged the trackpad above it. So, went back to GlobalStore to show them the problem. I was told that they don't *do repairs, Arab Computers are the only Apple Authorized Service Provider. They also told me that if I were to take it to them, it would take them at least a month to repair it. I couldn't afford to wait that long, as I was returning to Canada before then.

August 2006

So, in Canada, I took my MacBook Pro to the Apple Store in Eaton Centre on August 8. I showed them the machine, they replaced the battery on the spot, and took the machine in to replace the top case because of the damaged trackpad. The next day my MacBook Pro was ready for pickup, so I went back to Apple Store to take my machine and got back home.

Unfortunately, it didn't end there. When I got home, I turned on the machine and noticed a strange screeching noise from the right side near the fan. I also noticed that disks would not eject from the optical drive unless I persistently press the eject button for about half an hour. So, I took back the MacBook Pro to the Apple Store. However, this time they claimed that my MacBook Pro's warranty is not accepted by their system, due to it being purchased in an "IMC Country". An IMC Country is a country where Apple does not have direct operations. This includes the Middle East and Africa. So, I was told to call Apple Customer Care to activate my machine's warranty. So I had to go back home to get the warranty issue resolved.

I returned to Apple Store on August 12 after I called Apple Customer Care. Again, the system would not accept my machine's warranty. However, they just took the machine in and replaced the Right Fan and the Superdrive.

So, after just 2 months of ownership, I had to replace the battery twice, the top case, the right fan, and the Superdrive. Furthermore, due to the multiple repairs done on the machine, it didn't feel as solid as when I first bought it, with several minor scratches and a wrapped case. But at that point, I decided to just enjoy my MacBook Pro and ignore what happened.

September 2006

I travelled back to Riyadh in September, and I kept using the machine for the next several months. However, I noticed one more minor issue in my MacBook Pro. There was a high-pitched buzzing noise coming from the left side of the machine. I searched the internet and found out that many other users are experiencing the same problem with their MacBook Pro's. I also found out that this specific problem is documented by Apple in their knowledge base: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303365. According to several accounts on this issue, Apple replaces the Main Logic Board of the MacBook Pro's affected by this problem.

As a student, I am very dependent on the MacBook Pro, and I couldn't afford taking it to GlobalStore for repair during the semester knowing that it would take Arab Computers at least a month to repair it. So I waited until summer, and that's when things started to get messy.

June 2007 - July 2007

On the last day of the warranty, June 11 2007, right after my last final exam, I took my MacBook Pro to GlobalStore. They acknowledged the problem and took in the machine to send it to Arab Computers for repair. GlobalStore informed me that it would take Arab Computers at least two weeks to repair it, and it normally takes a month. My return trip to Canada was on July 23, and I thought there was ample time for them to have it fixed.

To my disappointment, 6 weeks from June 11 to July 23 were not enough. During these 6 weeks, I made numerous visits and phone calls to GlobalStore to follow up with my issue. However, every time I was told that Arab Computers are refusing to do any repairs, claiming that the "left speakers are functioning correctly". I re-demonstrated the problem to GlobalStore several times, clarifying that the noise is not coming from the left speaker. In my attempt to directly contact Arab Computers, they refused to talk to me, claiming that "they don't deal directly with individual customers" and that "I should only deal with GlobalStore regarding machine repairs".

So, on July 22nd, a few hours before my return flight to Canada, I went to GlobalStore to pickup my MacBook Pro, now out of warranty, and no repairs done on it after 6 weeks. GlobalStore already knew that I was leaving to Canada. Seeing how upset I was, they promised me that if I were unable to resolve my issue in Canada, they will get my machine repaired under warranty when I return to Riyadh.

August 2007

So I'm back to Canada, and I wasn't sure how I could reach Apple to explain my issue. Searching online, I found out that the best way to reach Apple is to send an e-mail to Steve Jobs. So I wrote an e-mail to sjobs@apple.com. Then, on August 7, I received a phone call from Apple Executive Relations in Canada. I explained to him my problem, and he asked me to go an Apple Store to allow a technician at the Genius Bar to inspect my MacBook Pro.

The next day, August 8, I went to Apple Store Eaton Centre with my MacBook Pro. I got my machine inspected, and they acknowledge the issue. The technician told me that my MacBook Pro's serial number did not fall within the range of serial numbers that are affected by this particular problem. However, he said my machine is clearly affected, so they took in my machine and offered to replace the Main Logic Board under warranty. At this point, I thought it was over.

My MacBook Pro was ready for pickup the next day, August 9. I went to pick it up, and got back home. I turn on the machine, and I can still hear a high-pitched buzzing noise! Before I got the chance to do anything, I recieved a phone call from Apple Executive Relations to follow up with my issue. I explain to him that even after the logic board replacement, I still get the same buzzing noise. So, he told me to go back to Apple Store to have the machine inspected again.

I returned to the Apple Store on August 10, and they took in my MacBook Pro again to replace the Left I/O Board. They replaced in a few hours. However, even that did not remedy the problem, as I could still hear the same buzzing noise. But this time, the technicians at the Genius Bar claimed that they could not hear the noise anymore. I had no choice but to take my machine and go back home.

The next day, I got a call from Apple Executive Relations in Canada. I was told that Apple Canada did everything they could do to resolve my issue, and that they would have replaced my MacBook Pro with a new one had it not been purchased from an IMC Country. At that point, I was very upset with the whole situation. I thought after all the trouble I've experienced with my MacBook Pro, I should be entitled to have the machine replaced. I decided that since I bought this problematic MacBook Pro from GlobalStore, they are the ones who should replace it.

September 2007

I was back in Riyadh, and on September 2 2007, I took my MacBook Pro to GlobalStore and conveyed my frustration. They offered that they'll attempt to arrange a deal with Arab Computers to have my machine replaced.

Now, this is when things get incredibly frustrating.

October 2007

A few weeks have passed with no news about my MacBook Pro. GlobalStore kept on telling me that my MacBook Pro was at Arab Computers, and that they're still discussing my issue. I kept waiting until I got a phone call from GlobalStore informing me that Arab Computers have agreed to replace my MacBook Pro. However, they were still waiting on final approval from Apple Europe. I was also told that if Apple Europe were not to approve of the replacement, I can still get a trade-in by paying a few hundred Riyals in difference to get a new machine.

On October 6, I went to GlobalStore to follow up with the replacement offer. There was no news about it, so I asked GlobalStore to call Arab Computers for me (Remember, Arab Computers refuses to talk to individual customers). I was shocked to hear that my MacBook Pro was not at Arab Computers all along. After some investigation, it turned out that my MacBook Pro has not left GlobalStore since I gave it to them on September 2nd! The situation was ridiculous, but GlobalStore assured me that they'll have it sent to Arab Computers the next day.

So, on October 7th, I visited GlobalStore again. This time however, they claimed that Arab Computers have instructed them not to get involved in my issue any longer, and that I'll have to deal with Arab Computers directly. It was a surprising turn of events. Coincidentally, one of Arab Computers' employees, Mr. Hussam Zaa'zaa, was at GlobalStore at the time. Mr. Zaa'zaa confirmed the replacement offer, and assured me that I'll get the replacement machine before October 10, the last day before "Eid Al-Fitir" Holiday in Saudi Arabia.

October 10, and Mr. Zaa'zaa could not deliver on his promise. I gave him a call, and he reassured me that I'll get the replacement right after the holiday. So, 10 days later, on October 20, I get a call from Mr. Zaa'zaa asking me to come to Arab Computer's Main Office. Later that day, I come to what Arab Computers call their "Main Office", which is actually a small house in a residential area. Anyways, I meet with Mr. Zaa'zaa, but this time he told me he had never confirmed the replacement offer, backing away from the promise he made a couple of weeks ago. However, he said that they're still discussing my issue with their parent company in Dubai. He also told me that I'll have to follow up my issue with Mr. Abdulmajeed Al-Shakaki, Arab Computer's Head Technician. I was finally told that I'll have to check back with them the next day to get their "final" answer.

When I checked back with Mr. Al-Shakaki the next day, he outright denied the existence of such a replacement offer. I tried to talk to other employees at Arab Computers, but no one at was willing to help me, and even Mr. Zaa'zaa denied his involvement in my issue. They wouldn't even let me talk to their manager, Mr. Amjad Matar. At that point, I had no choice but to attempt to elevate the issue.

Late October - November 2007

On October 31, I called Apple Customer Relations in the United States using Skype to explain my situation to them. The customer relations representative I talked to seemed genuinely willing to help resolve my issue, and to get my machine replaced. However, she told me that Apple Customer Relations in the US don't deal with issues from IMC countries, and that I'll have to contact Apple Customer Relations in the UK. Despite that, she said she will attempt to resolve my issue on her end and gave a case number.

On November 15, after numerous attempts, I finally managed to call Customer Relations in the UK. Unfortunately, they also claimed that they don't deal with issues from IMC countries. So I asked them who at Apple does deal with IMC countries, I was told that that no one at Apple Europe deals with IMCs. I was also told that Apple does not have any jurisdiction over IMCs. However, after some arguing, they offered to attempt to contact Arab Computers to investigate my issue.

Unfortunately, neither Apple in the US or in the UK were able to contact Arab Computers by phone. In the mean time, the customer relations representative in the US was still contacting me by e-mail to follow up with my issue. It was until November 29 when I got hold of the cell phone number of Arab Computers' Manager, Mr. Amjad Matar. I gave him a call. I explained my situation to him, and he gave me an appointment to meet with him on December 5 at Arab Computer's "Main Office".

December 2007

December 5, I met with Mr. Amajd Matar for the first time. Mr. Matar denied any knowledge of a replacement offer, and claimed that replacing my machine was never an option to begin with! I told him about Mr. Zaa'zaa, and Mr. Matar claimed that Mr. Zaazaa doesn't have the privileges to make such an offer, so Arab Computers is under no obligation to replace my machine. However, to make up for all the trouble I've gone through, Mr. Matar offered a 6-month extended warranty on my MacBook Pro, and if any technical issue arises during the period of the warranty, he'll personally have my machine replaced with a new one. When I asked for the extended warranty documentation, he claimed that there's an "approval number" in their system and that there is no need for a warranty document.

Even though I was very unsatisfied with the solution presented by Mr. Matar, I had no choice but to take the offer. As it seemed that Apple has supported Arab Computers on their "decision" not to replace my MacBook Pro according to an e-mail I received from Apple Customer Relations (In other words, Apple supported Arab Computers on bailing out of their promise). So I took back my MacBook Pro, which I had not seen since September 2nd: 3 months of lost productivity.

January - April 2008

Over the next few of months, some more technical issues started to show up: The battery behaving erratically; not holding charge for more than half-an-hour, a ticking noise coming from the left side near the fan after several hours of usage, caps-lock and num-lock LEDs light up spontaneously when leaving the machine idle for several minutes, and uneven display backlighting. In addition to the high-pitched buzzing noise from under the keyboard. So on April 26 2008, I decided to call Mr. Matar directly, to inform him of the new technical issues of my machine. While he acknowledged the warranty, he denied offering a replacement during our last meeting, claiming that he would never make such an offer! However, he said he will contact Apple Europe to ask for a replacement.

May 2008 - Now

It wasn't until May 25 that I heard anything meaningful from Arab Computers (Mr. Matar would not return my calls or reply to my e-mails). I received a call from Arab Computers telling me that they have received a replacement for my MacBook Pro, and that I could come at any time to pick it up. I couldn't believe what I heard, I thought it was finally over.

I guess I was too optimistic. I came to them the next day on May 26, and they showed me the "replacement" machine: It was an open box MacBook Pro of the same model, scratched up, no accessories or software, and without Apple's standard warranty. This wasn't what I had in mind at all, this was just completely ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the fact that Mr. Matar insisted that the machine is "brand new". The MacBook Pro I was offered can't be considered a new machine by any standard. Even Apple's refurbished machines come sealed in a box with new accessories and software, in addition to Apple's standard warranty. Offering a used machine as a replacement does not comply with Apple's own warranty policy. It specifically states that the replacement machine is "new or which has been manufactured from new of serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product".

That's where things ended at the moment. To sum things up:

- My MacBook Pro has been taken in for repair 8 times, spent more than 4 months in total, and had 7 parts replaced. It still has several technical issues left.
- Arab Computers failed multiple times to provide any form of meaningful service.
- Arab Computers also failed to deliver on their promise of replacing the machine twice.
- While Apple Canada has been very helpful, their final response left me unsatisfied.
- Apple Customer Relations were also quite helpful, but their final response was very disappointing.

As you can tell by now, I'm completely fed up with this whole mess. This whole experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth. What do you suggest I do at this point?

EDIT: For completeness' sake, I want to note that at one point Arab Computers have offered me a %25 discount if I trade in my MacBook Pro. But that's after they "decided" not to replace my MacBook Pro for free, so I wasn't willing to take the offer.

digg this

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
you have had some really bad luck there. what you could do next time you meet anyone to do with arab computers is to take a tape recorder or dictaphone in with you, they are very easily hideable and some can have attachable mics where you can clip anywhere. that way you will never be able to be told something that has not happened.

you may also want to try and claim in some sort of court against arab computers or whatever the name was of the first people you originaly bought the laptop from. there must be somthing saying that they are not sticking to the agreement when you purchased the laptop. read very carefully through the agreement, look online etc. but make sure its against either of the two companies and not against apple as apple (according to what i read) have not really done anything wrong except back out of giving you a new laptop. even if they agreed that over the phone i guess you still need to have a signed document agreeing it, so they never actually broke an agreement.

i dont know why they simply havent replaced the laptop as it must have cost them, including all the hassle and workman hours more, more than just buying a new one for you. they get it at trade price anyway.

you may also want to tell the manager bloke that you will take the new laptop but not as a replacement, you may be able to sell it on. doubt that would be accepted though. you could equally state that if you dont take it, he is unable to sell it on as it isnt new (well maybe he will after all this crap) and would not be able to do anything with it.

but somthing that you should certainly do is to have a dictaphone. you may also want to try and do as many calls over skype, that way you are also able to record them (i guess) on to the computer so you can use it as evidence.

hope that helps
carlos

fussal

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Wow....

I feel for you... that's incredible....

Did you have apple care on that machine, or that extended warranty, isn't that supposed to be international?

Meaning that Apple would have to deal with those problems world wide?

I would forward your WHOLE experience to Mr. Steve Jobs again.

That's unbelieveable. It's up to Apple to get their things right. You bought a Mac, not an Acer.

Hope this will get resolved for you to your liking soon and then some.

Cheerio - Fussal

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Doesn't really sound like Apple did anything wrong here...Just two third party companies that don't have the s**t together...

Also, waiting 8 months after finding you suffer from CPU whine probably didn't help the situation.

Edit: Also, shouldn't your employer be fighting this fight? Is it the same MBP they bought for you?

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Thanks for your replies everyone.

bigmanathome24 said:
you have had some really bad luck there. what you could do next time you meet anyone to do with arab computers is to take a tape recorder or dictaphone in with you, they are very easily hideable and some can have attachable mics where you can clip anywhere. that way you will never be able to be told something that has not happened.
While that might be a good idea, I'm not sure if it's legal to do so. Also, I shouldn't have to resort to these kind of tactics. I'm just a normal customer.

bigmanathome24 said:
even if they agreed that over the phone i guess you still need to have a signed document agreeing it, so they never actually broke an agreement.
Indeed. That's how Arab Computers bailed out and didn't deliver on their promise, knowing that my case wouldn't hold a good argument in court.

fussal said:
Did you have apple care on that machine, or that extended warranty, isn't that supposed to be international?
No, I don't have AppleCare. That reminds me, there's another issue regarding the Apple's standard warranty. It seems that Apple and Arab Computers have a different understanding of Apple's warranty coverage.

According to Apple:
Apple offers warranty service worldwide.

According to Arab Computers:
Apple's warranty is not covered in the Middle East. All Apple products purchased in the Middle East are not covered by Apple.

fussal said:
I would forward your WHOLE experience to Mr. Steve Jobs again.
I'm considering that.

kingjr3 said:
Doesn't really sound like Apple did anything wrong here...Just two third party companies that don't have the s**t together...

Also, waiting 8 months after finding you suffer from CPU whine probably didn't help the situation.
Yes. I can't claim that Apple did anything wrong in my case. But Arab Computer are Apple's official representatives in Saudi Arabia, and that's according to an e-mail I got from Apple. Furthermore, In my numerous talks with Arab Computers, they claim that they don't do anything without Apple's direct approval, although I'm not really sure if that's actually true.

kingjr3 said:
Edit: Also, shouldn't your employer be fighting this fight? Is it the same MBP they bought for you?
Yes, that's the same MacBook Pro. But I currently own the machine, as soon as I left the job after summer.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
as you said voidness, you shouldnt need to resort to any of this crap just to try and get a computer fixed. ive had a few problems my self with my alienware laptop, and even after the year warrenty (about one month later) they replaced the screen and motherboard after something happened.

what im getting to is that when you pay a good amount of money, you should damwell get a good service. im hoping to get the 24" imac highest spec, but i just hope tha ti dont have any problems, and if i do i am able to speak to apple easily since im never going back to windows, and if the mac seams to turn out bad im left with linux or nothing :mad::confused:.

im sure you will eventually get it sorted out, and i hope tha ti dont get any problems:p

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Steve to the rescue!

sjobs@apple.com

Hope it all works out for you man, you've had some terrible experiences there. The first gen MBP's were truly awful. If you do get it fixed, I would sell it on ebay and use the money to buy a macbook on your next trip to Canada. Since the macbook would be purchased in Canada that would cover it for international warranty.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Morals of the story

Insist on getting all promises in writing

If you are having problems, get AppleCare before the year is over
Yes, that was my mistake. A document of the promise would have solved this issue months ago. But it wasn't possible to get a promise in writing over a phone call, and I honestly didn't expect things to get this complicated.

And for some reason, AppleCare isn't sold in Saudi Arabia. I probably should have bought it from Canada though.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sorry about your problems, but do you not learn after the first repairs, at pickup, check out the machine to make sure everything is ok? Especially after the botched repairs in Saudi Arabia? You also should have gotten things in writing, getting things in writing has helped me at least once.

If you live in the middle east (and also some parts of the world), you would know when dealing with certain people, they don't really have the idea of customer service or "their word". A 2 year project can take more than 6 years and still not completed. People will still barter even after you agreed on a deal. (Although there are also many honorable people in the region).

I would email steve @
and provide the info here. Sum up the total time you have spent and tell them how that has impacted you.

SaudiMac

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
if it was some gray market then its not apple's fault but Arab computers is an apple authorized service provider .

Voidness, check your PM

emiratesmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
Morals of the story

Insist on getting all promises in writing

If you are having problems, get AppleCare before the year is over

Only partly a solution... we can't buy AppleCare in the ME. If we buy it elsewhere they say they honor it here, but since we can't buy it, it's not offered in stores, it means that most people won't get it, or even know about it.

emiratesmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
Voidness and others, if I can, let me ask how do we get something constructive out of this? I mean, we have discussions about bad service, bad stores, etc. all the time on EmiratesMac.com, but I always try to figure out a way that all sides can learn something from it and come to some constructive outcome. For example, how do we get a public dialogue going with these stores, with the distributor, etc? Or is that not something we should be doing?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Good lord thats one hell of a story. The problem seems to be the Arab Computing company and that other one. I can understand Apple Canada trying to replace the LB but if it comes back and there is still a problem they should have tried again or something. Those two 3rd party stores should be investigated by Apple. Thats really bad that your computer sat in a shop for a total of 7 months...thats half your original warranty right there.

If emailing Steve Jobs does nothing than does Saudi Arabia have some sort of Lemon Law...or even Canada?

emiratesmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007

Yes and know, maybe. Let me add this... it depends a bit on what a person's view is of what "Apple" is in the Middle East. They're represented here by ABM or Apple IMC ME, and although they are strictly speaking not Apple, and could be seen as a "third party", in most people's eyes, I think at least, they are Apple. They don't see it as that they walk into an iStyle store, as one example, they walk into an Apple store.

emiratesmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
About Apple warranty coverage in the Middle East, Ghassan Bendali of ABM has clearly stated:
We follow Apple's policies to the letter, so if Apple say that a product is under warranty even if it is grey, we cover it, If they say it is not then we don't. It is important to understand as well, that Apple is a global company and has its own image that they want too keep. We try as much as possible to contribute positively to this image.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
EmiratesMac,

It would be great if something constructive would come out of this. If my story gets Apple's real attention, perhaps it would serve as a wake up call. From what I experienced with Arab Computers, I think that they definitely are not "contributing positively" to Apple's image in Saudi Arabia. If Apple wants a good image, they need to seriously investigate Arab Computers and their practices. The fact that Arab Computer's main office is a house in a residential area doesn't exactly inspire confidence in them.

Also, regarding Apple's warranty policy, Apple claims that their products are covered worldwide, as I stated earlier. However, Arab Computers doesn't seem to agree. They have told me that they refuse to service Apple products purchased outside the Middle East. They also claim that Apple products purchased in the Middle East are not covered by Apple. This is contrary to my personal experience. My MacBook Pro, purchased from GlobalStore in Riaydh, was covered and repaired by Apple in Canada.

Underworld

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
SomeLandٍ
I live in Saudi .. and i'm a saudi guy and know how they deal with us here, i'd just advise u .. send ur pro to states .. let someone take to any apple shop there, and explain about the issue u have .. this have worked for me many times .. and learn to purchase from apple.com not from any apple retailer here in Saudi Arabia.

even if u had a written promise, this means nothing, here its so different and u would be going back and fwd in court, trying to solve the issue here u can't do anymore than sending to Steve although we know that they don't support MICs but u might have a shot !! specially if u provided links for what ever u have wrote online (like this thread link)

I wish i can do anything to help

Note: me as a mac customer, i had fed up with these stores we have in here, they buy there supplies from UK and when u call UK to talk about it UK says no we don't deal with MICs.

let me guess the nationallity of the Arab Company manager, Lebanese or Egyptian?

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Yes, that was my mistake. A document of the promise would have solved this issue months ago. But it wasn't possible to get a promise in writing over a phone call, and I honestly didn't expect things to get this complicated...

But

So, on October 7th, I visited GlobalStore again. This time however, they claimed that Arab Computers have instructed them not to get involved in my issue any longer, and that I'll have to deal with Arab Computers directly. It was a surprising turn of events. Coincidentally, one of Arab Computers' employees, Mr. Hussam Zaa'zaa, was at GlobalStore at the time. Mr. Zaa'zaa confirmed the replacement offer, and assured me that I'll get the replacement machine before October 10, the last day before "Eid Al-Fitir" Holiday in Saudi Arabia.

So why didn't you get the promise in writing when you saw him in person?

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
That's strange, on ABM (the IMC) website, they list 2 as Apple's Service Providers in Saudi
http://www.appleme.ae/ara/support/ksa.html

one of them is GlobalStore
Yes, I think they've become an Apple Authorized Service Provider in December 2007.

So why didn't you get the promise in writing when you saw him in person?
As I said, it was a mistake. I should gave gotten it in writing. I didn't expect them to back out of their promise.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Not saying you did anything wrong, but I would have bought my MBP in Canada. They would have just replaced it the first time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.