My experience with Apple's support

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ouimetnick, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So I had my iPhone 3GS replaced about 2 weeks ago due to an software problem. The store gave me a replacement iPhone 3GS. However I noticed there was a scuff mark on the bezel before I left. I was told, it does not affect the performance of the iPhone, then its not replaceable. i was also pissed at how the "Genius" scratched the rear casing when activating my iPhone. I know its just a scratch and a ding, but my previous phone didn't have those. I applied Ghost Armor to protect my previous phone, and they scratch my new one up for me... thanks Apple. it also had uneven glass. So I called that day, and made a case ID over the phone as I didn't want to go to the store again. So I got an advance replacement. It arrived this morning. Its such a ****ing piece of ****. The rep PROMISED that it would be free of physical defects.

Well well. uneven glass is still there. To make matters worse, the sleep/wake button is raised like it should be on the right side, and pretty much flush on the left side. It have to be pushed hard for it to function. So now I paid $599 for a ****** built iPhone. The sim card tray isn't flush either... it even has a gap between the tray and the casing so it can collect dust... yay. So I called up. I was transferred to a "senior ass hole" well senior tech dude. He said they WILL not overnight me a new iPhone. And because I have had physical problems before, I need to send my iPhone to THEM , and they will either replace it ONE LAST TIME or send it back to me.

I can't believe I paid $599, and its a hit or miss with build quality. This is apple we are talking about here too. I know this is a rant, and the fanboys will tell me to get another brand phone if apple is so bad. Well I would love to, but I paid over $200 on Apps so it would be a waste of money.I wish I had a nice camera to show you all what I mean, but Why can't apple spend money on QC? It it costs around $200 for raw production and labor costs, that make $400 of profit off me. I know it have to pay for R&D, and other things, but I doubt QC would be a lot of money anyways. this is my 5th iPhone 3GS, and the 3GS is their "gift" to solve the physical problems I had with the 3G. I went through 9 of those.

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Woah....have you ever heard about paragraphs?

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

WTF is uneven glass?

i had my 3GS replaced 2 weeks ago. 20-30 minutes at the Genius bar including waiting for my turn. phone works better than my launch 3GS and battery seems to be better.

4. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Uneven glass is when the glass front isn't flush like it should be. Its when The glass is higher than the silver bezel, and wen the other side is either flush like it should be, or the silver bezel is higher than the glass. It produces a sharp edge when its uneven.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

TheSpaz? Is that you?

6. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Nope... Not TheSpaz. I might have the same degree of OCD as he though.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Well, yeah. You are on your 13th iPhone :eek:

8. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I'm sorry but I paid $599 for a phone. I'm gonna expect it to be defect free. Also the brand Apple means defect free perfect amazing products.

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

So they've let you replace your phone 12 or 13 times over a slightly uneven glass and other extremely nitpicky issues? They upgraded you to a 3gs from a 3g for free? Wow, Apple is truly ridiculous. How dare them be so awful to you.

Maybe you should just relax and enjoy your phone. If everyone was like you and traded in their phone 13 times, I bet you the iPhone would cost a lot more then $599. You don't see me starting a new thread complaining how I have to pay so much to cover for you to trade in your phone because the user manual has a bent corner.

10. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I'm sorry. But these issues shouldn't be on a phone like this
    and I didn't make the geniuses swap it out. They saw what I wa bitching about, and replaced it. Then they tell me they can only swap it once. So if I notice defects, I call up apple support phone line and they send me another unit... Get the old one back, acknowledge the problem and I'm good. But they can never make a decent phone free of defects. Even I they take $599 from you. Paying $599 I have every right to DEMAND A PERFECT phone. I will go over te phone with a fine comb and find the defects. They shouldn't exist is a $600 gadget.

11. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

My fiancee's and my 3GS' have been replaced due to cracking on the case.

I must say, we have been very happy with the replacements.

Maybe you are just unlucky?

12. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Thanks for adding paragraphs...much easier to read ;)

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

No, he's just being ridiculous. I have yet to see an iPhone where the glass was completely flush. Does anybody I know care? No. The phone works fine and there are no visible defects unless your as anal as this guy. This guy is the kind of person that nags about everything and is never happy with anything. If you've ever worked retail or in a restaurant, you know you've experienced someone like this.

To the OP: Just loosen up. Enjoy your phone. It is a great device even with minor manufacturing defects. I highly doubt its a coincidence that the defects you are seeing happened 13 times in a row. Every other iPhone user manages to deal with them, so just jump on board.

14. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

TheSpaz reborn then. :)

16. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

dammit....you made me look at my glass now....I've had my 3GS since last July and had been quite happy with it....now I see the glass on the right side does sit about 0.5 mm higher than the silver border and it's flush on the left side....how dare those Apple f'ers trying to pass this off as a decent device....Maybe I'll wait until 11 months in with this (June) and demand a replacement so I can get a new phone.

C'mon man....13 phones and you can't find one that's good enough? Seriously? If I was Apple I'd buy you an Android phone, give you your money back for your app purchases and put your name in a database of "people to never sell another apple product to"

17. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

You are aware they can provide you with medication for your condition, right?

18. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

What problem is that? Acute lead deficiency?

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

the smallest of thing will literally make me crazy. idk why

20. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

wish i could complain about apple support too...but recently they did me such a solid that I am most certainly a customer for life now!

Last friday i fell asleep with my ipad next to me, waking up later in the night to a loud BANG! long story short...next morning i pull out the ipad to use and noticed that the lower right corner has a bit of glass shattered and chipped, no markings on the aluminum casing, just a little broken glass right in the corner. This didnt affect the usability or the screen, but i was still extremely heartbroken.

I never mistreat my gadgets, ive never lost or broken any of my iphones and always had my ipad in a case (even when it fell)..

i looked around online and saw that it would cost me $199 for a screen replacement...and i dont even think apple stores are doing them yet.

I decided to take a trip up to the apple store and was completely honest with the genius about what had happened. After a little lecture about how this isnt covered under warrantee and how they never really cover broken screens on devices, even with applecare...the genius proceeded to take my ipad to the back while i sat around expecting to get it back and just figured I would find another case that covers the edges of the ipad so the glass wouldnt be noticeable..

WELLL...to my surprise, the guy told me they were going to help me out and were willing to give me a brand new replacement ipad. They didnt even have the 32gb in stock to sell, but they had some new ones in the back for people with applecare who might need an exchange. He told me to take good care of it and i walked right out of the store with a happy new 32gb ipad....went home and synced it and I cant possibly be happier.

Apple is a very smart company, they realize that a hundred or so bucks lost is nothing considering I am now going to come back and buy tons more apple products because they treated me so incredibly well. I am an apple fan for life and their customer service is the reason why.

thanks apple!

sorry you didnt have the best experience...but i think they normally try to go out of their way to make sure the customer leaves happy...they did for me.

21. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Why in the world did you take your phone to the Apple store for software problems instead of just restoring it...

22. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I had my 3GS replaced for battery problems. Also had a charging cable replaced from my wife's iPod Touch. No problems. I'm very happy with the service I have gotten from Apple. Too bad there are such picky people that make it more difficult for good customers like us to get good service.

23. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Now Im all for having a perfect looking product, but your taking it to the extreme. While I'm sure parr of that $600 you paid goes for the looks of the phone, most of it was for how the phone functions. Go enjoy the $200 worth of apps and worry less about the very minor defects.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Isn't it "smallest of things?" ;)

25. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Have you ever heard of re-seating the class yourself and actually being resourceful? Not that hard and they won't ever know and you'll have your even glass you want. I have had 2 3GS's and they have been just fine.