My experience with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 so far

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Frankied22, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I have an iPhone 4 that is over two years old and I must say iOS 6 actually has made it feel snappier. Also, my home button seems to be working better now. I don't know if that has anything to do with software or not but hey. I've noticed keyboard lag has reduced, opening apps is a little quicker, and just general smoothness has improved. Safari is a lot quicker as well.

2. sharpycl, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Same scenario here. My iphone 4 is really fast compared to the way it was running on iOS5.

3. King Bowser macrumors regular

Awesome ! My mom has an iPhone 4 and I was going to tell her NOT to update, some people here said it was real slow but hearing this , I think she would take her chances.

Can't wait to update my 4s :D

4. ATC macrumors 6502a

+1

I even just tried the new Maps and it worked great in my area. Loving the update so far on my iP4.

5. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

Good to know. My girlfriend has a 4 and I was also holding off to read some brief reactions. Looks like I'll be taking care of this for her tonight or tomorrow. Cheers!

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

That kinda fits in with other peoples posts.

Home buttons working better etc.

My 4s feels snappier and i'm getting used to the new app store.

Youtube re downloaded from the app store too.

I dont drive but on my commute to work tomorrow i'll give the maps a blast.

I like the new keypad in the phone section too.

Also the option to send a text if i cant take an incoming call.

Some have said the passbook does not work in the Uk but im not concerned with this.

One thing i've noticed and noted on other threads is the baby blue hue.

Mine was kinda washed out but now it is really baby blue and the yellow colour in notes is not as washed out !

7. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

That's good to hear. Makes the suffering of waiting for it to download a bit more bearable. It was faster downloading my iPad than this :eek: should of done them at the same time :rolleyes:

8. RawMuk macrumors newbie

Download ios6 via torrents 10x as fast to be truthful,

But my iPhone 4, feels alot quicker, so i can't see what my iPhone 5 can bring me :D

9. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Same Boat as you! iPhone 5 coming here Friday, and iOS 6 also runs great on my iPhone 4, and when I think of it twice as fast on a iP5, oh god :D

10. JesalTV Guest

Same here!!

11. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

12. TheAppleTech macrumors newbie

When you update to a newer iOS it will make you feel like its going faster but its not... The Operating System cant make a iDevice faster besides the enhancements...

13. pooryou macrumors 65816

wrong

14. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I can't update to iOS 6, so my experience so far is pretty awful! :)

It says I have 2.4GB of music on my iPhone 4, but my music is actually empty (cos I don't have enough space to install iOS 6 I'm trying to clear stuff off).

iTunes says I have have heaps of music on the phone but they're all old songs I've pulled off weeks ago, and only show up in iTunes. Any idea how I can 'purge' iTunes of these ghost songs?

They show up under DEVICES / MUSIC, not LIBRARY / MUSIC.

15. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

I've also had a very positive experience with iOS 6 on my iP4. Upgrading was smooth and the OS has been flawless. The animations are silky smooth and everything does feel snappier than iOS 5. Love how conversations in iMessage are finally unified with both email and phone numbers. Overall, great update.

16. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Think I might've solved it. Sync Music wasn't ticked. Looks like it's happy now, and reporting what it should.

I SWEAR I TICKED THAT!

:)

17. TheAppleTech macrumors newbie

Sir, I understand that you have your own theory but keep it to yourself.

18. seanpholman macrumors regular

yep, my iP4 is waaay faster now, but I can;t wait to try out the new iOS 6 on my iP5, which will be here next week. But, in the meantime, it is like having an a new phone. Cool.

--Sean

19. BFG86 macrumors 6502

webpages load a lot faster with ios 6 for me. that's the biggest difference I've noticed

20. mal7921 macrumors newbie

Actually he is right, in a way.

Programming a more efficient routine will make the phone feel quicker and respond quicker, without having to make the underlying hardware quicker.

As an example (And to show my age), a program in BASIC can be made to run ok. Compile that program into machine code and it will run faster. Disassemble the program and optimise the code further so it is more efficient and the program will run faster still, even though the hardware has not changed.

You don't need a faster system to improve speed, you need more efficient code. Any self respecting programmer could tell you that

21. Nobita macrumors 6502

Just updated. My god, everything is ****ing faster and snappier.

Hate the status bar though.

22. alexxn macrumors regular

Everything is working just fine for me, snappier too ;)

23. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Sound great. If I test Map app and it's alright then I'll upgrade next week.

24. JPark macrumors 6502a

Sir, I understand you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but feel free to expose your ignorance to your heart's content. This is a free forum after all.

EDIT: Sorry--that may have been overly harsh. I see you're new here, so I'll cut you some slack.

25. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Same !