My factory unlocked iphones has been locked

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kokoui, Jan 7, 2014.

1. kokoui macrumors member

Guys I had purchased an unlocked iphone 4 from uk apple store back in 2010 and i was using it with my local carrier since then with no problems, I have updated to ios 5 , ios 6 , ios 7 without any problems . Everything was working fine. Yesterday I did a restore to 7.0.4 and I cannot activate it, i am getting the message SIM card is not supported, I used three other sim cards and I was getting the same message, i inserted a UK sim card and it was activated fine but as soon as inserted my sim card i was being transferred to my activation screen. I went to my carrier and I was told that with ios 7.0.4 apple locks down the phone to support only the carriers of the country it was purchased. Anyone with the same problem?

I repeat my iphone is factory unlocked from out of the box

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your carrier lied. Go to an Apple Store and check if they can offer any assistance.

3. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

Problem is there is not Apple store in my country, iphones are imported from Apple by the carriers or official resellers

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Then call apple, or email them, or chat with their online support.

5. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

Going to general->carrier I can see that the carrier is O2 15.6 which i do not know why this has happened. My iphone was factory unlocked

6. hafr macrumors 68030

So call O2 and ask them what has happened?

7. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

O2 likely didn't actually sell you a factory unlocked device. Call them, they are likely the only ones that can remove your lock.

8. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

But i didn't buy it from 02 , i got it it from an apple store and from ios 4 up to ios 7 everything was fine

9. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

O2 can somehow lock unlocked phones by the way. This has happened to lots of people in the past. I'm lucky, I'm with O2 and my phone's still unlocked...but maybe because I'm on a business tariff...

10. hafr macrumors 68030

Have you contacted either O2 or Apple yet?

11. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

I have contact them and they told me to do a restore again with my sim card inside and restore from backup but the problem is when iphone is restored i am not getting prompt on the set up screen to restore from backup

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

My factory unlocked iphones has been locked

Don't worry, there are other ways to restore from a backup. Try these:

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

13. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

Managed to restore from my backup but iphone is still locked :(

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Your network lied.

I have an unlocked 5s on 7.04 bought in the UK working perfectly fine in Ireland.

15. hafr macrumors 68030

Who told you that, Apple or O2? Have you contacted "them" again and told them it didn't work? Have you contacted the other company than the one who told you that?

16. as11ley macrumors 6502

as11ley

Thought you said there was no Apple Store in your country?

17. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Then call them. It's not going to just fix itself. You'll likely want to deal with O2, not Apple.

18. cynics macrumors G3

He bought it in the UK. But is now in a country with no Apple stores.

19. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

Ok guys finally my issue has been resolved . initially i contacted apple through their phone support line and i was told to do the restore from backup which didn't work . they gave me a ticket number and i gave it to them when I called them in the afternoon.After half an hour call in which I was transferred to one of the senior support guys I was asked to send my invoice of the purchase of the iphone and he contacted a technical team. He also told me that i should expect news from them after 2-3 days . Two hours after we hung up he called me back saying that my issue was fixed and to try to activate again and voila it worked. He didn't tell me what the problem was But I am happy that it was resolved , I would like to thank everyone for their help.