My First Apple Pay Experience

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by caesarp, Oct 23, 2014.

1. caesarp macrumors 6502a

While walking through Philadelphia's 30th Street Station today -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30th_Street_Station -- I noticed a soda and water vending machine with the NFC logo. I thought, great, I'll try Apple Pay for the first time and get a $3.00 bottle of water. I hold my iPhone 6 Plus up to the reader, my card pops up (AMEX -- the only card my banks allow me to enter into Apple Pay so far), I hit touch ID and hear the little ding and see a check mark. The LCD screen tells me to choose my selection, (I chose D3 for a bottle of Aqua Fina water), it then says "authorizing" and then pops up with "card declined".

Tried 4 more times and same thing. I'm guessing a $3.00 charge is unusual for AMEX and maybe that triggered a decline? Not sure. I now have a bunch of "unknown transactions" in Apple Pay related to these attempts. I assume nothing will be billed to me.

Thoughts on why it didn't go through? I really don't feel like calling AMEX, just curious.

2. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Ouch! Worked fine for me to buy a $1.50 soda on my campus using an Amex!

3. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose it could be an issue with the vending machine?

4. flatfoot99 Guest

I couldnt get my phone to swipe through the card reader. Its too big? Is it because I have a case on it?

5. boobie12 macrumors 6502

It's not because of the charge. It's because they haven't been updated to take it. Same with 7/11. Even though they have nfc readers. Your card will be declined because they're not updated. Happens to me yesterday but worked fine Macy's.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sometimes it takes a couple tries. You just have to force it. :D

7. madmaxmedia, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You have to squeeze/push it in the slot harder. After the first time, it will fit a lot smoother.

Yes, I'm talking about your phone. :D

8. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very funny. You don't swipe your phone and you know that.

9. flatfoot99 Guest

lol... serious question though, do I have to open passbook or does it do it itself?

10. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Seems like more work than just purchasing with a swipe of your CC lol

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's always been hit or miss with me with credit card vending machines. Some cards always get declined and some work.

12. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

You don't even need to turn on your phone, just hold it by the reader, it will automatically turn on your iPhone and open to Passbook.

13. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

You don't have to wake your phone or open any app. Hold it up to the reader, and magically your cards show up and you are asked to use touchID (I have one card , so I didn't have to choose). If you more than one card, your default card will be active immediately. But you can select another card if you want.

----------

Not really. Its less (if the machine accepts NFC payments --- this one did not apparently). And Apple Pay is way more secure. At a stand-alone vending machine, how easy is it for someone to install a device to read the card information.

14. metalsaber macrumors newbie

So I went to McDonalds yesterday. I help up my phone and it woke up. I held my thumb over the reader and it said done, but I did not get the *ding* and it didn't actually process. I did it a couple times but no luck. I just swiped my card.

So was the terminal not "setup" or was i doing something wrong?

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Be glad it didn't work. $3 for a bottle of water is ridiculous.

16. flatfoot99 Guest

or they were doing something wrong...

17. metalsaber macrumors newbie

Like what? While it would be nice if they were trained, if its something I can mention to them, it would be helpful.

18. flatfoot99 Guest

not sure what they are suppose to press

----------

cool... thanks!

I tried it at mcds drive through the other day... worked great. I wish it would say on my device the amount and who Im paying though...

19. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

It should give you transaction details in passbook under the card info after you make a payment.

20. flatfoot99 Guest

shows time and city. maybe a boa thing?

21. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Is it possible that the vending machine doesn't accept Amex?

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My Citi MasterCard doesn't work at my work vending machine with Apple pay but my CapitalOne Visa does. Go figure.

23. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked. It said AMEX on it.

24. kryptonkid07 macrumors regular

kryptonkid07

I used Apple Pay the day it came out at a Whataburger (fast food restaurant in Texas, for those unfamiliar) and it worked like a charm. I had one hand on my back pocket ready to pull out my debit card, but I didn't have to. I put my phone near the terminal, the phone lit up, and that was that. Really cool!

I did also try it at a Jack in the Box today, however. It did not work. The phone lit up but it kept saying it could not finish the transaction.

25. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Pics or it didn't happen. Period.