My first attempt at directions via Siri failed me

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by noobinator, Jun 30, 2015.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I was on my way somewhere after work and decided to test out Hey Siri and get the directions on my wrist.

HEY SIRI. Hello? Siri? HEY SIRI? She finally listened after I made sure my watch face was on. They really shouldn't claim it's always listening if the face has to be on.

HEY SIRI, directions to X. She loads up the directions and the start button is grayed out. It keeps spinning/loading for about 3 minutes. I canceled it out. HEY SIRI, directions to X. She loads up the directions, again it loads for about 2 minutes this time then says "Directions not available". I try this three more times and get "Directions not available" or just a spinning circle/loading.

HEY SIRI, nevermind I'm already there. Anyone having any luck with directions on your watch via Siri?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep, I've used it several times. Walking directions as well. Worked fine.

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I usually say something like, "Hey Siri, walking directions to xyz". Worked just fine for me yesterday

4. c55 macrumors regular

c55

Yeah it works every time I have tried it. I suggest not yelling at Siri, she is very sensitive...really you don't need to scream HEY SIRI or she will not understand. Just talk normal for the best results. Keep a good 12 inches away from the Watch. If you are not connected to wifi or have a poor LTE connection then she will be much slower. You can also just do it on your phone and it will automatically send the directions to your wrist when you raise

5. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I put my hey siri in caps i know but I don't really yell and she understands me, it's just the getting her to actually do what she heard. It loads/time outs/not available. I have 4-5 bars LTE when trying this in the car.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I agree... I can almost whisper and Siri picks up what I'm saying. It's nice because no one around me even notices.

7. parseckadet, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I don't think they've ever claimed that Siri is always listening. If you watch the guided tour the narrator clearly states "Raise your wrist and say 'Hey Siri,' to begin your request"

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

"Hey Siri" has been hit and miss. I just activate it by pressing the crown. Getting walking directions is hit and miss as well. There seems to be some algorithm in place that will only give you walking directions if it really thinks you can walk there. Otherwise, it will give you driving directions which don't work well if you are actually walking. It expects you to be in the middle of the street, so you never trigger the turn points from the sidewalk.

9. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Ok, she still doesn't respond on my first attempt most of the time.

10. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Are you waiting for Siri to respond before you ask for something? I had a lot of problems at first because I was using the following pattern: "Hey Siri" ..... wait ..... nothing happens. Then one day I just went for it all in one shot like I would if I weren't asking for something from a computer: "Hey Siri give me directions to xyz," without waiting for any indication on the screen. That time it worked perfectly. Ever since then I've had far fewer problems.

11. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I have yet to test out directions on my watch and really should do so but I do find Siri responds well when the watch face is on (raise or tap) and you do a streaming sentence with "hey siri set an alarm for 10:59am" for example.