My first burn in

Francesco Leone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Hi all!

I attach images. Sent to Apple for assistance. I'll keep you up-to-date

368C6313-F5D6-4335-8AF6-9CF20ECE84F5.jpeg Burn in effect
48645078-E01B-408C-A80A-370BF06E39D8.jpeg My watch face since I bought it in Oct.
- - Post merged: - -

Ah, it is a Apple Watch 5 with AOD on

Reactions: odblnt

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2015
WOw - that's the most noticeable one I've seen to date. Everything - even the lines between the days are all right there in negative.

Very curious to see what Apple does for you!

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hi all!

I attach images. Sent to Apple for assistance. I'll keep you up-to-date

View attachment 923980 Burn in effect
View attachment 923981 My watch face since I bought it in Oct.
- - Post merged: - -

Ah, it is a Apple Watch 5 with AOD on
I definitely see it. Apple will exchange it. I think when you consider OLED panels, they all have some tendency of ‘static image stamping‘, The pixels are meant to shift, to prevent that, but unfortunately, it is a side effect to OLED. It’s a matter if somebody notices it or not, but I certainly look forward to the transition of micro LED, where that won’t be a possibility.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I heard the AOD was a drain on the 5 series. I think I'd turn it off just to save the battery myself.

jdb8167

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
I heard the AOD was a drain on the 5 series. I think I'd turn it off just to save the battery myself.
I get around 36 hours with AOD for waking hours. I also change watch faces frequently which probably prevents burn in.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I get around 36 hours with AOD for waking hours.
Ditto.

I was a skeptic, after nearly five happy years with my original-issue Series 0, but AOD is a really nice usability improvement. I'm surprised how much I like it.

Fixu86

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
Switzerland
yes, my watch will be replaced. confirmed
I do have the same issue with my AW5. As far as I can tell, the burn-in heals a bit over night - or at least it gets better. I think during charging over night (screen off) seems to have a regeneration effect.
Is the burn-in on your watch always at the same level? Mine is worser in the evening (after AOD was on for about 18 hours) than in the mornings

Francesco Leone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
I always had the AOD turned on. This effect was evident under Sun or a direct strong Desk light. It is not noticeable in the evening. I have never changed watchface and complications since October 2019

Fixu86

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
Switzerland
It is only visible with white or grey background (flashlight app works as well). I just mentioned the burn-in effect is better visible after the AOD was on for several hours. Same by you?

yeye11

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
Hi,

It seems my AW5 is also showing burn in. Using it since October with the same face almost all the time. Lowest brightness setting though.

815194B8-08F9-4F48-BAEA-A22590BB7C10.jpeg

yes, my watch will be replaced. confirmed
Do you have apple care or the replacement was covered by warranty?

Thanks.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My AWS5 was replaced in March due to a speaker issue. I activated the torch function to see if I had any burn in and there is a faint outline. Not sure i’ll go through the bother of replacing it again as this seems to be a common issue. I don’t remember this on my three year old S2.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
When Micro- LED actually has its opportunity to debut, I suspect in probably two years, image retention (Or burn-in for that matter) will be completely eliminated, as OLED is the sole reason why that happens. Given that AOD on the Apple Watch is a feature that will remain, it’s something that will always be a tendency with OLED panels.

yeye11

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
That is what I am waiting for. Definitely not gonna buy another OLED watch.
While my burn-in is not a big issue at the moment, in a year or two it will become one hurting visual esthetics and resale value. Who would wanna buy a watch with burn-in? No one.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
That is what I am waiting for. Definitely not gonna buy another OLED watch.
While my burn-in is not a big issue at the moment, in a year or two it will become one hurting visual esthetics and resale value. Who would wanna buy a watch with burn-in? No one.
Bolded:

No one purchasing an Apple Watch has any idea what ‘Burn-in’ is in the first place. Nor do they know what to look for. You only notice burn-in on various lighter states/white background where it’s completely visible.

Anyways-Let’s say I sold my Apple Watch to and unknowing buyer knowing that it has ‘burn-in’, I guarantee you they wouldn’t even notice image retention unless it was drastically visible. Most cases with the Apple Watch with Burn-in, is actually pretty minimal, but it’s an annoyance nonetheless once you start seeing it, you want stop seeing it either.

Also, I suspect image retention on the Apple Watch is a very small percentage, it’s usually only certain models that have the same display that is used on a consistent basis and with AOD being activated consistently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.