my first experience with the Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by godisjustpreten, Nov 26, 2007.

1. godisjustpreten macrumors member

I brought my week 43 iPod Touch to the bar, and waited for 30 minutes past the scheduled appointment. I then explained to the "genius" (is this *supposed* to make my blood pressure skyrocket?) the problem I am having with the shimmery blacks and incorrect rendering of shades of gray. He pretended as though he had never heard of the problem, but suggested that he replace it for me.

He leaves for 5 minutes and comes back with an iPod Touch that is week 40, has a piece of plastic (as in plastic wrap) stuck between the two halfs of the device, and is approx 25% charged. I refused to take it, and he claimed they had no more in stock. So, he ordered me another one.

The week 40 Touch did have a better screen than my week 43, however, so it gave me hope that I just have a lemon.

Anyway, tonight's experience makes 5 the number of Apple employees I have talked to who have claimed they have never heard of the "negative black" problem with the iPod Touch. Is it possible that Apple employees know less about the products they sell then the average user? Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it smacks of some kind of directive not to even entertain the idea.

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

my one experience with genius bar was quite helpful, but turned out was a pretty straightforward issue with the early iphone

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i see this a lot with apple.
    in the store and on the phone. sometimes i wonder how much they know, and what they needed to know to get hired. esp if they are working the genius bar.

i understand that they have a lot of positions they need to fill, and not everyone can fill the credentials but...
    i mean can anyone get hired to work at the apple store?

4. asmallchild macrumors regular

It's hard to tell with these things.

On the one hand, it could be that even though they work at the "Genius Bar", they aren't as "into" the product as the really hardcore users. (You know, the ones who go onto forums to chat about it :p)

On the other hand, it is possible that Apple wants to keep the issue hush-hush.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

not me apparently:rolleyes:

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I just came from two, that's right, TWO different :apple: retail stores in the area (which are a good 25 minutes away from home) and was straight out lied to at both of them.:mad: Both times I came extremely close to giving the "Geniuses" a piece of my mind. I showed both stores the iPhone screen test site (appleservedup.com) and both said nothing was wrong with the display. Of course, they also said that they were not aware of the issue and at the second location (which was the worse of the two) "This is not an Apple sanctioned website".

Now, I just got off the phone with Apple Care and they sincerely apologized for the behavior of the "Geniuses" and is sending me a box to repair or replace my phone with a refurbished phone and a service phone. Much happier:D
    (On a side note, the Apple Care support rep girl sounded like she was really cute. Damn, I should have asked for her number.):cool:

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

You sure it wasn't a dude?? Hehe :)

8. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Bro, now is not the time. I'm still pretty miffed.

9. LordEntropy macrumors regular

Anyone else think that Apple naming their in store tech support "Genius Bar" is a little egotistical of Apple and has an air of smugness about it that is probably not warranted?

I have my first appointment tonight at 6:10, hope they aren't running late as I have a 2 hour journey home after I have seen them!!

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

They'll probably be running late, talk about you to each other in front of you, tell you nothing is wrong, and completely ignore you in the end.

11. Galaxius macrumors newbie

I'm thinking a certain look. I got hired today in fact and I'll be starting soon so I'll let you know :p

12. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

it all depends, in the apple premium reseller in Antwerp, there isn't a genius bar, but you can ask the regular sales people there for answers, about product announcements they never no much than the regular use i guess... but that shop does have a poster hanging iphone coming to Belgium in May 2008! :D

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

same. Made an appointment, showed up, told them my iPhone was getting extremely hot and not holding a charge ( had a 4gb at the time ) and they offered to replace it, I asked to upgrade to an 8gb model ( paid the difference ) and was on my way. Pretty smooth :D

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why not just go to an authorized Apple repair place. They have been around long before the Apple stores and they are all over the place and know what they are talking about.

15. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

Update (as if you care): I had to order an exchange shipped to my Apple store because they supposedly didn't have any in stock. Well, I found out what "not in stock" means in AppleSpeak. It means that they have tons of brand new iPod Touch 8GB devices available for purchase, but they don't have any "exchange" units. They "couldn't" tell me whether that meant that the exchange units are refurbs, but I suspect that is the case.

I'm very close to throwing a complete fit and demanding a brand new exchange. Has anyone had any experience with Apple and exchanges? What works? Are they going to hand me some damn refurb?

16. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

The only thing I have ever exchanged was an iPod Nano. I'm pretty sure I got a refurb. Came in a brown box with a piece of plastic film protecting the screen. I would try to get a new one out of them. Just make a scene...if they are anything like other stores, they don't want to look bad!!!
    :p

17. Macintosh001 macrumors member

Macintosh001

I have never had an experience with the genius bar...since there are no genius bars in Spain...WE NEED YOU GENIUSES!!!hahaa;)

18. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

Believe me when I tell you that there were no geniuses at that bar (well, not on *that* side of the bar anyway).

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have always had a decent time at the genius bar. Yeah, sometimes it takes longer then it should and sometimes I have to reiterate myself, but all in all a good experience.

20. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

No matter what issue you have, I guarantee the first thing
    out of a genius mouth is "I've never heard of that issue before".
    Even if it's a well publicized issue. I am almost positive they
    are trained to say that.

That said, I usually always get taken care of and leave feeling
    satisfied with my issue getting resolved one way or the other.
    Just make sure to make your appointment in advance online!

Apple Quality Control sucks due to craptastic Chinese manufacturing,
    but at least Apple support (in my experience) is excellent.

21. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

another unrequested update:

I went to the Apple store during my lunch break to pick up the exchange. Since the unit was locked/unactivated, I couldn't test it in the store. When I got it back to the office and got it running, I found the video to be somewhat better than my first one. However, I'm not sure it was good enough. More troubling, however, was the fact that the home button hardly works. It clicks, but nothing happens. You have to press really hard to get it to work.

Anyway, it turns out that it is a week 42 (the Touch I returned was a week 43). So it's some crappy refurb. Anyway, I called and spoke to the manager. She agreed to give me a brand new one from their sales stock if I stop by after work.

I'm hoping this is the one.

22. RyanG macrumors 6502

That's odd, I got a week 42 as a replacement and it runs beautifully. A LOT better than my week 40 :) Good luck!

23. LordEntropy macrumors regular

I went last night to the Genius bar as I stated earlier.

Arrived at about 17:50 and my appointment was scheduled for 18:10. Genius got to me at 6pm and as he knew I was trying to catch a train at 18:37 he worked like lightning to test my problem(bottom half of screen not responding) and get me a replacement.

I took in a week 43 and came out with a week 45 which when I "roadtested" it last night was perfect.

So I was very happy with service, which is good as I was expecting a poor experience based on the previous days visit.

I wouldn't say the term genius is warranted but what I did appreciate was the level of customer service. He clearly was aware of my time constraints and did his best to my problem resolved quickly.

Thanks to that I made my train and got home half an hour earlier than I expected. :)

24. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

yet another unrequested update:

I did go back and they gave me a new Touch from their sales stock (rather than the refurb exchange units they have). However, this was also a week 43. The rendering of blacks was slightly better, and I was trying to convince myself to keep it. Then I noticed that the screen flickered at lowest brightness setting. I browse the web at night in bed, so it's not a rare occasion for me to have it set to the lowest setting. Note that I did not have the auto-brightness turned on. My first 2 devices didn't have this problem.

Anyway, I'm so fed up with the apparent lack of quality control, that I think I may just return it for a full refund this weekend. Then I'll have to monitor the situation - maybe they'll have resolved most screen issues in a few months. Otherwise, I'll have to see what gen 2 brings.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The Mac Geniuses are certified. To be certified they have to pass yearly tests. Yes, not one test but a few tests. And it's not some BS questions either. Even curren Mac Geniuses sometimes fail these tests and have to retake them.

They do have access to the whole apple data base, but unless Apple has it as an issue, they cannot act on non-official knowledge (such as Macrumors). Well, maybe if you are REALLY nice.

In addition, due to the pace of changing technology, it's a lot of stuff to keep up... Just report the issue. If it's not fixed, do it again. Or try a different way. Personally I have better luck at the Genius Bar, but looks some people have better luck by phone.