My first genius appt

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ineedamac, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ineedamac macrumors 6502

So I took my iPhone 3G to the local apple store today :apple:, Kenwood Towne Center in Cincinnati. Well it is local if you consider a brisk 45 minute drive down I-75. (I wish there was one closer.) Anyway, my iPhone 3G has been acting up lately. The problems are that the ringer switch does not work; I cannot increase/decrease the volume using the buttons on the side while I have my headphones on and occasionally when I take the headphones out of the iPhone it plays random songs from the iPod app.

The very nice Genius informed me that she could replace the iPhone and would be right back. When she returned she said they did not have any iPhone 3G in stock and I’d have to come back later to pick one up. I tried to get her to give me the 3GS since I had to drive so long to get there but no luck.

So, here I sit waiting for the call that my iPhone is at the store and I am back in the game. Kinda like a pitcher in the bullpen waiting for the call. to me it is exciting even though I know I am gettng the same version of the iPhone since this one will be new...

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Isn't this what blogs are for?
    I'm sorry for the calous remarks OP, but there isn't a question. There isn't a problem. There is nothing to solve. There is nothing to comment on.

What is the point of this thread?

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

This was one of the few posts that is actually good, stating that Apple did their job the right way. I realize its hard for some people to comprehend, a post that isn't bashing Apple in some way. He is happy that he gets a new phone hassle free, so good for him.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

So you drove a total of 3 hours to get your phone replaced?

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I understand that, but does it warrant a new thread is the point im making.
    I had my 1st genius appointment less than a week ago and everything went swimmingly.

I didnt make a thread about it. I wouldn't have bashed Apple. It would have been nice and constructive. But I'm pretty sure no one really cares about my experience at an Apple store. But ok. I digress.

OP, please let me know what you had for breakfast. Its urgent. Also, what is your favorite color? What foods don't you like?

Please. Blog away.

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Fixed.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The OP was like a Twitter post, just not truncated at 140 words.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You should have known that you were going to fail at getting a 3GS as a replacement.

10. cra-lo macrumors newbie

you're probably getting a refurbished 3g and refurbished phones total suck :S trust me i've had 3 or 4

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I believe this thread has now become bunny worthy:

so_cute_rabbit-1.jpg

12. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

I took my 3G into the Apple Store for a crack in the plastic backing and got it replaced with a new one, not refurbed (at least that's what the Genius assurred me of). That experience went well and my replacement was in stock :)

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

When was this though? I imagine most new stock of phones at Apple are 3GS while the 3Gs they have are refurbs for replacements now.

Was yours replaced while the 3G was still the "new" phone?

14. ineedamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Uhm it was to tell my story of Apple doing the right thing. It meant enough to you to write a response. I had been reading others troubles with AT&T and Apple and other people talking about how they hate Apple and I actually am a satisfied customer.

15. curmudgen macrumors member

For those anal retentive types posting. This forum says general discussion. I am missing where it says only questions, problems, bashing. A discussion involves a transfering of ideas back and forth on a subject.

16. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

Saturday, 7/11... my 1 year old 3G (i.e. got on launch day last year) was replaced with a brand new 16 GB 3G. It even had 2.2.1 on it still.

17. The General macrumors 601

I have to drive 1:30 to the nearest Apple store. I wouldn't make two trips, though. If the Northridge store didn't have replacements, I'd go to the Simi Valley one. If that one had no replacements, then something must be wrong.

18. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

glad you had a nice genius appointment. However.

You tried to get her to give you the 3GS even though you only have a 3G? Am I the only one who noticed this? I don't see how driving 45 minutes qualifies you to get upgraded to a 3GS. There are plenty of other people who have to drive a few hours just to get to an Apple store, and they're not asking for a free upgrade.

19. ineedamac thread starter macrumors 6502

I simply asked if they had and 3GS in stock and if I could have one of those since they did not have any 3G in stock. I was not expecting anything but it does not hurt to ask. What if she was having a great day and said yes?! You never know. I'm happy enough to get a new 3G. I understand it might be a refurb but I'll still be happy.

20. cupofjoe macrumors regular

I hope you know that there's another store at the Westfield Topanga too :p So you could visit 3 Apple stores if necessary. But yeah, something would be seriously wrong if all three were out, lol.

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

If your "new" phone came in a little white cardboard box and not an original Iphone box then you got a refurb, no matter how "new" it looked. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not a new phone. As good as new however.

22. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

So, you basically asked the Genius, "Since I can't get my 3G replacement rightnow, can I just get a 3GS instead? I mean, I drove 45 minutes here. Oh btw, I don't feel like paying $399 for it like every other loyal customer."

You bought a 3G. You'll get a 3G replacement. Don't expect free handouts or upgrades when you don't deserve them.

There are more than enough people who actually need 3GS replacements, and they don't need people trying to get a free upgrade to a 3GS without paying up.

23. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

it did come in a little white box, that's why I asked the Genius if it was a refurbed unit... he said, "no, its brand new but just in a smaller box to not waste boxing materials". I didn't really buy that story but he assurred me it was new, not refurbed. He could have been wrong, but he's the "Genius" that knows his store's stock better than I do...

24. samcraig macrumors P6

I bought a Honda Civic Hatchback and wanted to return it in exchange for an Acura. I can't BELIEVE they wouldn't do it after I drove 45 minutes to get to the dealer!

25. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

No no, you're mistaken.

I bought a Honda Civic Hatchback. They said that they don't have any in stock at the moment, so I'll need to come back soon.

Why won't they just let me upgrade to a Bugati Veyron? I mean, they're totally the same thing.