My First Mac: Aluminium Macbook or White Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hamishch, Oct 21, 2008.

1. hamishch macrumors newbie

I am currently a PC user and its nearly dead after nearly 2 year:mad: so I have made a decision to move to Mac. I've followed closely the release of the new Macbooks and also have seen the amount of money they cost here in New Zealand. With an education discount I can get the entry level Aluminium Macbook for $2300 or the White Macbook for $1750. I will mainly be using the laptop for watching movies and the internet and I need something very portable with a good battery life. I was hoping for some advise on which Macbook to buy as my first and if the New Aluminium Macbook is really worth the extra $550 for what I'll be using it for.

Soon to be :apple:

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Get the Aluminum one. Buying the white MacBook now, you may as well buy a refurb MB/MBP, because the MacBook White is just a way for them to get rid of a discontinued product.

3. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I came from a whitebook, and I will say that the aluminum macbook IS worth the extra cash. It's just much higher quality, it's all around SOLID. The whitebook feels like a kids toy now.

4. justind.clark macrumors member

While my experience with the new Macbook is limited, I can tell you that whichever one you decide on you will be getting a great notebook. Apples website goes into the specifics in this comparison.

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Do you need firewire?

I think the White Book's cpu is a tiny bit faster, but the graphics chip is allot better on the new metal version.

it's a toss up.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Go with the white or check out the refurb store, aluminum isn't even close to worth $550 extra.

7. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Yes, I think the new Aluminum one is worth the extra cash. You get to enjoy a better battery life and the new solid case. It's not that heavy and the screen is gorgeous. Especially if you are planning to watch movies on it. The wireless connection is fine, but the range isn't as high as the WhiteBook, because it's made out of aluminum. The WhiteBook won't last as long as the new one, because there has been lots of complaints about the case cracking and stuff. I think you would make a fine purchase and enjoy the computer.

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I had the Black MacBook and sold it for the Aluminum. It is totally worth it. Spend the extra money and get the aluminum. You won't regret it.

9. MacJenn macrumors regular

I sold my blackbook and bought the new 2.4 one and regret it a lot. I should of kept it. I'm exchanging this one for a Macbook Pro tomorrow b/c I don't like it at all.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

They are both great notebooks. I don't think you can go wrong with either :)

The aluminium macbook is nice, but keep in mind it's Rev A so there might be little bugs in them such as the battery cover, unresponsive trackpad at times.

The White macbook isn't as snazzy as the aluminium macbook and doesn't have some of the nice touches such as LED screen, glass trackpad etc. But it's a proven performer.

I think you should make your choice on what your budget will allow, because either way they're both great, and you'll really enjoy yourself with OS X. :cool:

11. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Really, what went wrong? I also sold a blackbook to get the 2.0G glassbook - totally loved it. What didn't you like?

12. MacJenn macrumors regular

I don't think it is built solid. Loose battery cover, keys slanted, screen while a little better than my previous Macbook still isn't up to par (my friends $600 Dell has a better screen than mine and it didn't have any of the problems I'm having), and the trackpad isn't even. I just don't think they are built good. I have a friend who bought a 2.0 new one and had some of the problems I'm having. I didn't have any of those problems with my black Macbook.

I'm going to get the Macbook Pro tomorrow. I love OS X and that is the only reason why. They can have this POS back.

13. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Sorry to hear that, MacJenn. I guess I am extremely lucky. I didn't see any of your built issues, at least not yet. Good luck with your MBP purchase.

14. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I doubt you'll find the Pro built that much better, though they say the LCD is nicer. They're both from the same refresh, and they're both 99% the same cosmetically.
    What you should do is return the Macbook until you find one built perfectly. That's what I did. (I had to, I just can't stand any other OS (and I can't afford a Pro))

15. MacJenn macrumors regular

Nope I'm getting the Pro. 2 friends of mine have the new ones and they felt like they were better built. I don't care if they have the same built process or whatever. They felt so much sturdier. I done with this thing besides for $400 more I can get a much better screen. The screen on the new 2.4 is better than my blackbook was(not by much IMO), but it still is crappy. Back to Apple it goes.

16. kubricks macrumors member

Agreed.

Since this is your first mac, and you probably like surfing the internet and using Microsoft Office or iPhoto, go with the aluminum Macbook. It has a vastly superior GPU, a much better chassis, faster RAM and frontside bus. Also a new trackpad and new gestures and the latest OS. Oh, an LED screen too!

Now if you are a power user (but still on a budget), lets say someone who works with audio production or live performance, synth design in MAX/MSP, or use high level applications that require constant disk streaming, you should go for an older, outdated, ****** case crap GPU Macbook plastic. Because these people don't need the newest and more powerful Macbook. That is for people who want iPhoto and Safari.

17. smeowly macrumors newbie

i do think there's a certain 'naive charm' about the original white macbook. it's affordable (even more so now), doesn't look like any other laptop in the market and looks very friendly and inviting. it's looks whimsical (in a good way) and stands apart from the blacks, greys and metal finishings of dells and hp's.

i bought the blackbook 4 months ago because i thought it wouldn't get dirty so easily, but after that i regretted not buying the white one and saving a few dollars.

i sold the blackbook and bought the aluminium one yesterday but i believe that if i had bought the low end white book, i wouldn't have done so and i'd still have a lot of extra cash as i only use it for surfing, watching dvds and simple word processing.

so yeah, if i could turn back time, i'd have bought the low end white macbook and just stuck with it, because its charmingly childish in its own way.

18. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I say go for the aluminum. I've had both a WhiteBook and a BlackBook, but nothing compares to the sleek, solid design of the new aluminum MacBook. It feels much more like a pro machine, and the graphics are simply amazing. Plus, if you're a PC user, you'll love the new trackpad. Unlike older Macs, it can right click, as well as do so much more with the multitouch gestures. It's definitely been worth the extra money.

19. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

White MB

No, the new MB is not worth an additional $550 for your intended usage: Internet, music, and DVD.

I thought about getting the aluminum MB, but after careful consideration decided that my current laptop satisfies all of my current computing needs, which are pretty similar to yours.

Jude

20. MacJenn macrumors regular

I would much rather have my previous blackbook than this new 2.4 crapbook I bought last week. It is horrible. I'm returning this new 2.4 and getting the Pro. I think the new Macbook is a ripoff. They say it is made of one piece of alu.. I think it is made from Coke cans and the screen isn't that much better than my previous blackbook. I'm just glad I have the cash to upgrade out of this flimsy feeling lappy. I know the Pro is made like the Macbook, but it felt so much better constructed for whatever reason and the screen is light years better.

Save the money and get the blackbook or get the Pro. This new one is a major disappointed by Apple in terms of construction and power. New design, but power wise it isn't any better than the previous gen.. Look at the benchmark tests and it proves it. Don't take the guy I quoted word for it. He isn't telling the truth.

21. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

In almost all cases I would say, get the new model. This time I really don't know. The new model doesn't give you better CPU performance, only the games will be improved. As we all know though, the Mac doesn't have many games and thus cannot be classified as a gaming machine...(unless you run Windows on it but even then the NVidia Card isn't good for most of the latest games...).

I was under the same dilemma and at the end I got a White Macbook for 1100 Euro. The config can be found on my signature.
    I love the new design, I really do but Apple made the whole thing a lot more expensive for a small 13,3" Macbook.
    I would buy the new Macbook Pro but the glossy screen isn't exactly what I want from a high-end laptop. I know that the Macbook also has a glossy screen, but with 13,3" this isn't that much of a problem. The new laptops also have much more reflections. The combination of a glossy screen and the glass looks really great but makes using the laptop very difficult for me...

22. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

My MacBook is well built as well. I don't have any problems with the build quality and I am 100% satisfied.

23. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Very satisfied with the new Macbooks, even although I received a faulty batch (battery latch issue). Probably the best purchase i've ever made.

24. 8theapple macrumors regular

I found this video on Youtube by SenorChito.
    He compares the old whitebook to his new AluBook. The pros in the new design far outweigh the old design and is worth the price difference. Alubook has led screen, 10-15 degree further tilting angle, new trackpad, unibody chassis, runs much cooler, etc. (list goes on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHLv8c_cgdo

25. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Thanks, 8theapple, for the shameless plug, haha, you made for 1.5% of the external-link views, which is second only to some Arabian site.

Hahahaha.