Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Steven and I've just bought a brand new MacBook Pro after 10+ years on Windows.

I suppose I'll start with the specs...
I opted for the 15-inch matte screen after going into the Apple Store in Sheffield and looking at a comparison between that and the 17-inch. This Mac has to last me a good 3 years of my university life so I tried to make it future proof and got the best options available. 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200RPM hard drive, Apple Remote (yep, I watch all my TV shows & video podcasts on my computer). Oh and AppleCare Protection Plan.

Ok, so... I'll skip over the headache-inducing Windows nightmare, and get to the juicy bits that I love about my Mac so far:
I love the built-in iSight camera! If you've ever had to plug in one of those bulbous Logitech webcams and then install the drvers (and bloated software, seriously wtf is with that Logitech Messenger?) that comes with it, then update it everything to make sure that it'll work without flaw; then this is definitely a godsend in comparison. I downloaded Skype (much nicer & cleaner interface for OS X) and had it up and running in 1 minute. Very handy for staying in-touch with my family. :)
Of course, Photo Booth is just so much fun and I'm just dumbfounded by the quality of it! Epic win on that front. :D

Exposé is just a pleasure to use, I find I can actually multi-task a lot better now than I used to be able to.

Multi-touch gestures were overlooked when I used Windows, the closest you got to them were the dedicated "zones" on your (already small) trackpad that you used for scrolling. Now with my Mac, it just makes sense to be able to use two fingers for scrolling or three for flicking through pages & photos.

Apple Remote (and Front Row), whenever I don't want to be productive I now have the ultimate laziness option. :D Seriously though, very small and easy to use. Only the buttons that you need are provided, and it just works with everything that I want to. Not sure on replacing the battery, but I'm sure it'll last years before I even have to think about that. Right?

Slot loading superdrive; thank you Apple for not using that damn cup-holder! I loved it on the old-tech VHS players, I loved it on my PS3 and I now love it on my computer. 'Nuff said :)

Magsafe, again, it's one of those things that make sense when you have it but never thought about it until you tripped over it.

I'll stop rambling now: I'm never switching back. :eek:

BasseyImp

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
I still think threads like these needs pictures. :) New Macbook Pro in its new habitat.

I'll post pics of mine when I get it.:)

Anyway, congrats Steven! I've been a Windows user for nearly as long as you have and I can't wait to get my new machine, when people ask me why I've chosen a Mac, I just quote Dr Spock and say that it's a 'logical' decision just because Mac's work and winpc's don't.

:p

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Sweet & welcome, but i hope you didn't get that RAM from Apple ?? otherwise your just had your wallet raped

Why not? If I had the money to spare I would just go ahead and buy from Apple (I don't have the money to spare, but if I did). Mainly because I am lazy and want it perfect out of the box. Even the Apple does charge a fortune for there ram upgrades. It's very nice knowing Apple put's allot more of there money into R&D then most other, if not all PC manufactures.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Congratulations on your purchase and may it and you both "live long and prosper" together; welcome to the forum and to the world of Mac.

I'm a fairly recent switcher, too and have hugely enjoyed my MBP since I bought it last April.

Cheers and good luck

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Exactly! Any problems from top to bottom I just take it back to them.
Besides, as mentioned earlier they spend alot on R&D so I don't mind supporting them a bit extra....plus, ya its ready to go out of the box. :D

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Why not? If I had the money to spare I would just go ahead and buy from Apple (I don't have the money to spare, but if I did). Mainly because I am lazy and want it perfect out of the box. Even the Apple does charge a fortune for there ram upgrades. It's very nice knowing Apple put's allot more of there money into R&D then most other, if not all PC manufactures.

Buying memory from Apple will be covered under their warranty.

Oh hear we go again,yes its up to the OP if he choses to spend money on something he could have got cheaper elsewhere, yes I'm fully aware Apple RAM is covered by their warranty, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to workout that if something goes wrong you swap back to the original RAM before taking it in store does it?

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Congrats and welcome!
I just switched over 4 months ago from PC and love it!
What's the Apple Remote? TV...
I'll do a search.

Joe

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
Sweet & welcome, but i hope you didn't get that RAM from Apple ?? otherwise your just had your wallet raped
Yep I got the RAM from Apple because with this being my first Mac, I didn't want to open it up. I just wanted it to be the best I could get out-of-the-box. I can totally understand other people not wanting to pay so much though because it was a little pricey, but what the hell. ;)
I still think threads like these needs pictures. :) New Macbook Pro in its new habitat.
Heh, well I hope you like my habitat as much as I like my MBP.
I'll post pics of mine when I get it.:)

Anyway, congrats Steven! I've been a Windows user for nearly as long as you have and I can't wait to get my new machine, when people ask me why I've chosen a Mac, I just quote Dr Spock and say that it's a 'logical' decision just because Mac's work and winpc's don't.

:p
Wow, that's pretty cool that you're going to get one too. Have you got any idea of what particular Mac? Or the specs? I'd be interested to see what you like. :)
Exactly! Any problems from top to bottom I just take it back to them.
Besides, as mentioned earlier they spend alot on R&D so I don't mind supporting them a bit extra....plus, ya its ready to go out of the box. :D
Love the "ready out of the box" too. Especially after so many years of it never being ready to go, or just loaded with bloatware.
Congratulations on your purchase and may it and you both "live long and prosper" together; welcome to the forum and to the world of Mac.

I'm a fairly recent switcher, too and have hugely enjoyed my MBP since I bought it last April.

Cheers and good luck
Nice one dude. :cool: I can't wait to get some games loaded onto mine so I can enjoy it more too. Just finishing off moving some data over from my old machine.
Congrats and welcome!
I just switched over 4 months ago from PC and love it!
What's the Apple Remote? TV...
I'll do a search.

Joe
The Apple Remote is used for anything Quicktime, iTunes or Front Row...and I love it. :p

Attachments

• DSCN0162.jpg
    DSCN0162.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN0163.jpg
    DSCN0163.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0164.jpg
    DSCN0164.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0165.jpg
    DSCN0165.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN0166.jpg
    DSCN0166.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 96

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
just a note, 200GB @ 7200RPM isn't top of the line now. Its 320GB @ 7200RPM :p
Maybe for a different Mac, but for the 15-inch MacBook Pro a 200GB HDD is the largest 7200RPM available according to Apple UK store.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 102

BasseyImp

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Wow, that's pretty cool that you're going to get one too. Have you got any idea of what particular Mac? Or the specs? I'd be interested to see what you like. :)

I've ordered the base model which is basically the same as yours but with a 2.4GHz processor instead of 2.6, 2GB of RAM instead of 4 and I didn't get a apple remote, I got a laptop bag instead.

I use Imac's at college so they really appeal to me, but a notebook is better for me since I already own a workhorse PC and I wouldn't have room for another tower. All the features that Mac's have maybe barely noticeable to people who haven't used a Mac before but things like the multi-touch, magsafe and applications that actually run smoothly make the usability that much nicer. Also it's much easier for me to use it in conjunction with the Macs at college.

I hope you enjoy your new Mac as I'm sure I will do too in a couple of days! :apple::)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Maybe for a different Mac, but for the 15-inch MacBook Pro a 200GB HDD is the largest 7200RPM available according to Apple UK store.

It's a 3rd party drive, that can be dropped into the MacBook Pro. I plain on putting one in my MacBook Pro, when I buy it.

Bingo. Apple doesn't up their options until a refresh/update on their notebook line. I have a Western Digital 320GB @ 7200RPM drive in my macbook pro

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Hey there OP, welcome and congrats. I also just made the switch and picked up a 2.6Mhz, 17" matte screen with the 200gb 7200RPM drive. I got my memory from Newegg.com though but I can understand your reluctance to crack open the MBP.

Anyway, this baby simply flies. I couldnt be happier with it. I use Windows at work, so right now Im wishing I was typing away on my MBP instead of this POS!!

Im already trying to convince my wife to pick up a MB or Air instead of her Compaq but she isnt to happy with change. Even though she LOVES iPhoto and PhotoBooth among other things Ive showed her.

Thanks to all on this forum and thanks to Apple for the iPhone. I am the reason they came up with the term "Halo effect." Since getting my iPhone Ive bought more Apple products than I ever imagined!

In other words Im converted, no question about it.

PS, you mentioned FrontRow, I thought thats only used if you have Apple TV? I guess Ill have to do a search too!

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
It's a 3rd party drive, that can be dropped into the MacBook Pro. I plain on putting one in my MacBook Pro, when I buy it.
Ah, that makes sense. I don't think I'll be doing that though. Like I said, I'm not much for cracking open new tech stuff and 200GB is more than enough at the moment. I store all my other stuff on external harddrives. ;)
Hey there OP, welcome and congrats. I also just made the switch and picked up a 2.6Mhz, 17" matte screen with the 200gb 7200RPM drive. I got my memory from Newegg.com though but I can understand your reluctance to crack open the MBP.

Anyway, this baby simply flies. I couldnt be happier with it. I use Windows at work, so right now Im wishing I was typing away on my MBP instead of this POS!!

Im already trying to convince my wife to pick up a MB or Air instead of her Compaq but she isnt to happy with change. Even though she LOVES iPhoto and PhotoBooth among other things Ive showed her.

Thanks to all on this forum and thanks to Apple for the iPhone. I am the reason they came up with the term "Halo effect." Since getting my iPhone Ive bought more Apple products than I ever imagined!

In other words Im converted, no question about it.

PS, you mentioned FrontRow, I thought thats only used if you have Apple TV? I guess Ill have to do a search too!
I feel your pain, I'm in a gap year before I go to university to get some cash for living expenses and I have to put up with Windows at work too. :(
I can also relate with other Apple products, I'm definitely getting an iPhone on December 25th (not for Christmas, it just happens to be when my current contract is up :) ). Thinking about maybe investing in a Time Capsule...for now though a standard external HDD will suffice.
As for Front Row, open Finder and navigate to Applications...it should be in there. It doesn't require a remote to work (arrow keys, enter & escape will work), but it's nice to have the option of sitting back with one in-hand. :D

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Buying memory from Apple will be covered under their warranty.

Your machine is still under warranty if you install 3rd-party RAM, too. The only thing they won't cover is the RAM itself (or problems they can prove without a doubt caused by the RAM you installed).

I've never bought RAM from Apple and I have never been scoffed at for using 3rd party RAM in a machine I've dropped off for repair. But then again, I've never had a problem actually caused by 3rd-party RAM. Buy from a quality vendor (Crucial, OWC, etc.) and you shouldn't have problems. Apple buys RAM from other suppliers and re-brands it to use as OEM. And so does every other computer manufacturer.

Technically speaking, big PC manufacturers have the same policy on user-installed 3rd-party RAM. They won't cover it under warranty if it wasn't purchased (at an inflated price, of course) through them. This isn't specific to Apple.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
I feel your pain, I'm in a gap year before I go to university to get some cash for living expenses and I have to put up with Windows at work too. :(
I can also relate with other Apple products, I'm definitely getting an iPhone on December 25th (not for Christmas, it just happens to be when my current contract is up :) ). Thinking about maybe investing in a Time Capsule...for now though a standard external HDD will suffice.
As for Front Row, open Finder and navigate to Applications...it should be in there. It doesn't require a remote to work (arrow keys, enter & escape will work), but it's nice to have the option of sitting back with one in-hand. :D

I actually bought the Airport Extreme base station and hooked up an external USB drive to that to use with Time Machine. I personally liked this option better than TC simply because you can partition the external drive whereas you cant do anything with Time Cap. So on my Drobo (which I highly recommend by the way drobo.com) I have 1 partition of 1tb for media for the whole house to share, then another 500gb partition just for Time Machine. Its working out well. On the Time Cap, if you have media on there as well as backups, I believe the backups take priority and can start erasing your media if it gets to full.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Speaking of Apple Remotes...do they come with all MBPs?
Doesn't sound like it....but a couple videos on YouTube of people opening their first MBPs have the remotes in the box. It appears stock.
I know when I ordered mine online it was offered as an option yet I have friends who didn't pay extra but received them w/ their purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.