My first MacBook Pro

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
I actually bought the Airport Extreme base station and hooked up an external USB drive to that to use with Time Machine. I personally liked this option better than TC simply because you can partition the external drive whereas you cant do anything with Time Cap. So on my Drobo (which I highly recommend by the way drobo.com) I have 1 partition of 1tb for media for the whole house to share, then another 500gb partition just for Time Machine. Its working out well. On the Time Cap, if you have media on there as well as backups, I believe the backups take priority and can start erasing your media if it gets to full.
Ah, now that might be worth thinking about. I do have a spare external (about 300GB) kicking about...this would save me quite a bit of money. I only wish the Apple base stations supported PPPoA so I could use it as my primary router instead of having two in the house. As for drobo, I've heard about that on MacBreak Weekly and was considering it too, but it'll have to wait for the moment because as you can imagine my bank is literally empty. :eek:

Thanks for the idea though, a nice alternative for later. :cool:
Speaking of Apple Remotes...do they come with all MBPs?
Doesn't sound like it....but a couple videos on YouTube of people opening their first MBPs have the remotes in the box. It appears stock.
I know when I ordered mine online it was offered as an option yet I have friends who didn't pay extra but received them w/ their purchase.
I think they used to come with the MacBook Pro's (just like iPods used to come with docks), it seems that they've stopped doing this now. I got the Remote as an option (£15), but they said they ran out-of-stock in the shop so they took one from another Apple product and gave it to me for free. :D

Best customer service ever.

binh514

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Congratulation ! Can't wait to have mine , I don't need one right now so I'll wait to see what happen in a couple week

TraustiB

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2007
Reykjavík, Iceland
Apple used to ship the remotes with all of they computers. No laptops have them included today.

I used to have 5-6 apple remotes lying around because no one wanted them. When friends and family got a new MacBook or somesuch they would always let me have them because they thought the remote was impractical, not that I have ever used them.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to workout that if something goes wrong you swap back to the original RAM before taking it in store does it?
No, not really. I'm simply pointing out the one and really only one redeeming quality of purchasing memory from Apple.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
No, not really. I'm simply pointing out the one and really only one redeeming quality of purchasing memory from Apple.
My apologies yaba yes your right it the one & only redeeming quality of purchasing RAM from Apple,but i for the life of me cant understand it myself as like i said it'll save money if buying elsewhere & swapping RAM isn't that difficult

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
Try the Spaces.... it's very cool :cool:
Ah yes, the Spaces. It's so ingrained with what I'm doing now that I forgot to mention it. I like to set up separate Spaces for music, browsing, email, and other miscellaneous stuff. It's so nice for clearing your screen and working only with what you need. :) Anything that helps me to be more productive I'm all for.

As a side-note, now that I've had some time to play some games (some in Bootcamp as well) I can honestly say that this is the most powerful computer I've ever touched. :D
Just played a Bioshock demo and it was gorgeous! :eek: Ok, it's a fairly recent game so things got a little laggy when lots of monsters were coming at me, but I just didn't want to turn down the graphics settings from max. Sooo yummy. :p
Anyone else have similar awesome experiences with their games?

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Ah, now that might be worth thinking about. I do have a spare external (about 300GB) kicking about...this would save me quite a bit of money. I only wish the Apple base stations supported PPPoA so I could use it as my primary router instead of having two in the house. As for drobo, I've heard about that on MacBreak Weekly and was considering it too, but it'll have to wait for the moment because as you can imagine my bank is literally empty. :eek:

Thanks for the idea though, a nice alternative for later. :cool:
Ahhh yes, the bank account, please dont remind me!! :eek:

azharc

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
I got my MBP a few weeks ago... your post sums up pretty much all the joys I did encounter :D

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
Ah Steven, you've gotten me so excited about getting mine! Can't afford it quite yet so it'll probably be after the refresh but damn, look at that thing! I want!

Quick question: I also watch a lot of TV and movies on my current machine and will be doing so on my MBP. Can you turn the backlit keyboard off? Because as gorgeous as it is I imagine it's more than a little distracting when watching things in total darkness, as I like to do to recreate that in-the-cinema feel!

nuncupatory

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Quick question: I also watch a lot of TV and movies on my current machine and will be doing so on my MBP. Can you turn the backlit keyboard off? Because as gorgeous as it is I imagine it's more than a little distracting when watching things in total darkness, as I like to do to recreate that in-the-cinema feel!
Yes. Just go to :apple: > System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse and uncheck the box that says 'Illuminate keyboard under low light conditions'.

Now if someone could only tell me how to turn off the backlight when using Bootcamp/XP so the damn thing doesn't keep turning on and off when I'm playing games...

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
Ah Steven, you've gotten me so excited about getting mine! Can't afford it quite yet so it'll probably be after the refresh but damn, look at that thing! I want!

Nice, unfortunately I couldn't wait until the refresh because my windows laptop has destroyed 3 batteries and the CPU has kicked it now. All due to overheating and poor ventilation.

As for turning the keyboard illumination off, I do it by waiting until it turns on (or fake low-light condition by putting your hands over the speakers where the sensors are) and press F5 until it turns off. To be honest, it really isn't a distraction.

I hope you enjoy yours when you get it. :apple::D

229dan229

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
wow!

Steven, im honestly jealous, sounds like your really set up, i still use windows unfortunately, but would love to switch to mac, IMO they are soo expensive, (being a student) hopefully i will get enough saved up to buy one & join the Mac community.

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
Yes. Just go to :apple: > System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse and uncheck the box that says 'Illuminate keyboard under low light conditions'.
Of course it's that simple. It's a Mac! :D
Thank you! One of those questions I always mean to ask the geniuses when I'm in visiting but never remember.

Nice, unfortunately I couldn't wait until the refresh because my windows laptop has destroyed 3 batteries and the CPU has kicked it now. All due to overheating and poor ventilation.
[...]

I hope you enjoy yours when you get it. :apple::D
I hear you re. the overheating etc. My current machine has to sit on a broken plastic in-tray or it dies under its own heat. And I have to physically blow into the vent every so often :eek:

Thank you, I'm sure I'll love it.
But enjoy yours an extra amount in the meantime for me!

steven0451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
United Kingdom
Steven, im honestly jealous, sounds like your really set up, i still use windows unfortunately, but would love to switch to mac, IMO they are soo expensive, (being a student) hopefully i will get enough saved up to buy one & join the Mac community.
Well, I really hope you do get enough saved up for one because that's exactly why I got one (for Uni). And now I'm just pleased that I have a machine that's reliable. :)