My first PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lgwells1, Dec 16, 2011.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I have wanted one since I was in High School back in 2003. My fiancee's Boss(doctor) gave me his G5 because it was just sitting. It came with EVERYTHING. Box, packaging, manuals, Install DVDs, keyboard(he kept the mouse). He even threw in a 17" Apple Studio Display. It isn't a quad core, but still stoked about it. Looks like a 2004 model. Dual 1.8, and I believe it looked like it is air cooled. What is the max memory this thing can hold, 4 or 8? Other than hard drive and memory what else are common upgrades.

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

3. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Thank you good sir. Can I install a bluetooth 2.0 card so I can use my magic mouse and keyboard? Or is it better to just install a bluetooth 2.0 dongle in a usb port? Also, can I put a airport extreme card in my G5?

4. Subish macrumors member

Gratz! Can't beat free! Enjoy I know I do with my G5

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You can find answers to everything you ask here.

6. mike457 macrumors 6502

I have what I think is the same model. I went for dongles for both bluetooth and wireless, since I don't have the antennas and the internal wireless card is "G," not "N." I also added a firewire 800 PCI card and a USB PCI card. All of these are quite cheap; you can add all of them for about $100.

I added the firewire 800 card in part because I found that the onboard firewire 800 conflicted with the bluetooth dongle for some reason, and in part because I needed two firewire 800 paths for a project involving multiple drives.

BTW, given the history of quad-core cooling, you're better off without it! Congrats!

7. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I am having serious issues trying to install my copy of Tiger on my machine. I do not have the original disk, that was lost long ago. Luckily I had a back up, but is on a DVD+ Verbatim disk, the G5 will not recognize it. So I made a disk image of the dvd, everything goes great until it ask me to reboot to start the installation. It just reboots normally and back to my desktop. I am on 10.3.9.

8. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I purchased a BlueTooth USB Dongle from eBay last week. It has finally arrived, but does nothing. I plugged it into the back of the machine, rebooted. Nothing, so I then rebooted and reset the PRAM, nothing. What am I missing?

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

You should install a driver for it. Is it a usb bluetooth that is mac compatible? Not all usb blue tooth are compatible with macs.

10. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

The listing clearly stated compatible with Macs. Where can I find the driver at?

11. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Can you see it on the system profiler? Under bluetooth?

Do you have bluetooth preference under system preferences window?

12. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

13. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Open system preferences and you have to turn it on your bluetooth preferences. Click on bluetooth on the left pane of your system profiler, what do you see?

14. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

System Preferences does not give me the bluetooth section. And bluetooth in system profiler states "No information Found".

15. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Also like to add, whenever I restart the G5 with the Bluetooth dongle in a USB port, that it takes forever. It sits on a white/blueish screen for a while a few minutes then goes to the desktop.

16. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I guess the native bluetooth drivers is not compatible with your bluetooth dongle. Wait for others they might have some ideas.

This works out of the box.

http://www.iogear.com/product/GBU421/

17. mike457 macrumors 6502

There are several possibilities for the problems you identify. The G5s tend to be very picky about components for installation of the operating system. With mine, the first thing I wanted to do was upgrade to Leopard. This did not go well. I had a similar problem to what you're describing. I thought there was a problem with the DVD player, but I eventually pinned it down to the RAM. Replacing the RAM, which I'd intended to expand anyway, solved the problem, and I was able to install Leopard. Thankfully, RAM for the G5 is pretty cheap. I put 4GB in for less than $100, if I remember correctly. There was 1GB of RAM in it when I bought it, so I believe the original owner had upgraded the RAM at some point with RAM that worked if you already had the operating system installed, but was rejected by an upgrade. Such is G5 weirdness.

With the Bluetooth dongle, you shouldn't need to install a driver, though it's possible that there are no drivers in Tiger. When I put my bluetooth dongle (the one Nameci mentions) in under Leopard, no driver was necessary. Have you checked the manufacturer's website?

18. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Based on the images he sent, he is running Leopard.

19. mike457 macrumors 6502

Sorry. I was going by his earlier comment that he was trying to install Tiger, and I did not look closely at the screen cap.

20. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the title is pretty close to what i wanted to post. We recently been given a Power Mac G5 (free as well). This is a 1.8 GHZ with 3GB ram. Right now the plan is use it for the kids computer (replacing a G4 MDD).

I have a couple of questions, can i just swap the HDD from the MDD to the G5 (would be much easier then transferring all the files). Also i have two CD/DVD drives in the MDD but just looking at the G5 it does not look like i can install more then the drive that is already there.

21. mike457 macrumors 6502

If memory serves, the MDD has an IDE hard drive, whereas the G5 uses SATA hard drives. Therefore, you can't directly swap them. The easiest thing would be to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper (making sure you have the PPC version, of course) to clone your existing drive. As to the CD/DVD, as you saw, you can only have one in a G5; you'd need to use external enclosures for additional drives.

22. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

The eBay selling is going to send me another Dongle. They think the unit was damaged by shipping :confused:. I don't know the manufacturer, I cannot find any markings on it. I think I am just SOL for this unit and will actually have to spend some cash. I am so tired of the Pro Mouse, I prefer my Magic Mouse. Any reason why my SuperDrive will randomly recognize a disk in its drive?

Also I need some customer management software for PPC. I do a lot of iPhone repairs and would like to be able to organize my clients.

23. Nameci, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Superdrive is picky? Try cleaning it. I have posted a link for an iogear usb bluetooth dongle. You can basically find it in an electronics store near you.

24. mike457 macrumors 6502

If you're having trouble with the Superdrive, I'd buy a new one. I had trouble with mine, and replaced it with this one from LG. It's less than $20, and you get better performance than with the original Superdrive. It's an easy install.

I do recommend Nameci's suggested bluetooth adapter. It's also under $20. It works fine for me, and I have it supporting both the bluetooth keyboard and the Magic Mouse.

You might try Bento for customer management. If you don't need anything really sophisticated, it should do.

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Good memory the MDD does have an IDE hard drive, i will just clone the HDD drive from the MDD onto a spare SATA drive and then swap that out. The drive we received with the G5 is only 80GB.

looks like this G% should be a nice little upgrade for the Kids. I may have to look into a better graphics card, the G5 has an ATI Radon 9600.