my fourth exchange. white 16g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trentmal, Jul 30, 2008.

1. trentmal macrumors newbie

1st iphone 3g had cracks in the plastic housing out of the box. 2nd iphone had 1 hour battery life. now the third replacement has a faulty ringer silent switch. it is impossible to switch without using two hands. the switch is crooked and jams regularly. it is incredible difficult to flick the switch over and requires exxesive amounts of force. the home button also recognises about 1 in 3 click. it is unresponsive and does not recognise every press. should i take it back to apple again. i have booked an apointment for tomorrow evening but is it worth it. these are bad problems. i just dont wont to get another dud. apple must be getting sick of me but i do not believe i am being to picky. tell me what you think.

2. wronski macrumors 6502

I have one that is perfect. Go get another.

3. mattmccarty macrumors member

mattmccarty

Dude you are paying for a new device you should expect to receive a faulty unit, keep returning them until you get one that is problem free.

4. Ozz.Man macrumors member

Gosh, any more horror stories like this? Makes me worried to get one.

5. cshale210 macrumors member

yeha I agree, just go in. I also have a perfect whitey...it is just great

6. Inukami macrumors 6502

same, my white Iphone is perfect. No pixel problem, case/breaking problem, software problem, hardware problem.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Don't worry, from my perspective, you are not being too picky. The first issue might have been something that I would have let go, but the second issue and the issues with your current device warrant an exchange. When you bring the device in tomorrow, be sure to tell (in a calm manner just so you don't get them pissed at all after a long day of work) them about how these problems make the device too difficult to use, and also how this is your third exchange, ask to be allowed (if possible) to examine the new device for physical defects in-store before bringing it home (assuming that they have some in stock). That way, they can see that it was not caused by you, and you would save yourself another trip to the store for an exchange. Basically check for cracks in the casing, the alignment of the screen, use of the buttons on the device, and any other problems that involve the physical structure of the device. There isn't much you can do in-store to check for battery issues/sensors, but do all that you can in-store to check out the replacement device. Hope everything works out for the best!!:)

8. spartan55 macrumors newbie

Prior to receiving mine, I was very worried there would be something wrong with my white iPhone. Luckily nothing has gone wrong, only two pinpoint marks on the back, and that was my fault from dropping it on my desk. But battery life is pretty good, screen is good, great signal in my house, etc.

9. dmw2692004 macrumors member

this just makes me want to wait a while before I pick one up:cool:

good luck man!:apple:

10. stevin macrumors regular

Keep it. Thats what I'm doing... But not for ever. Your phone is defective... they'll replace it... but why not wait until they iron out the problems they've got with production..

All these people are going back and getting 15 replacements... but only because they obviously don't have their sh*t together in china at the plant... eventually I'm sure apple is going their act together and pump out perfect models.. I'm pretty sure that they got the 2.5G phone right by the time they took it off the market :)

The only thing that really gets me (and I kinda wanted to start a thread about it).. is why are the 3G phones so plagued by problems... the internal components are very similar... the 2.5 G was on the market for a year and I remember how apple bragged about how rigorously they tested the 1st iphone... How are they releasing a bunch of phones with light leaks? (mine has one)

And how are they releasing cases that crack? wouldn't they have subjected the cases to some tests first?

or are we just blaming all this on chinese manufacturing plants :D:D:D

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed. I have read just tonight a few more stories like this which would worry me EXCEPT I have a LOT of friends that have gotten 3G iPhones the last few days and none have any defective 3G iPhones so I am still hoping these problems are 1%'ish type problems :D

12. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I knew this was gonna bite me. I returned my first iPhone 3G today because of some minor cosmetic problems (misaligned corners on the case collecting dirt), and my new iPhone has horrible horrible reception. I used to have 3 bars of 3G in my house - I now go back and forth between 1 bar and no service.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

I replaced one. The build quality is not the greatest.
    The plastic was messed up with a seam out of whack and weird bubbles on the white back that gave it a sort of texture.

what a mess.

New one is ok though.

These are minor cosmetic issues that are really not important, however I'm glad I did return it as I noticed it (which is a bit annoying)

14. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Be careful, I have heard that after 4 phones, they can either give you another type phone or not give you any more. Something like that, it has something to do with you after 4 unit returns. Watch them.

15. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I wonder at what point lemon laws apply...

4 seems like a lot of returns but you paid for this phone and have to be happy with it for 2 years so make sure you've got one that works and is perfect. That's my take - even if it takes 10 tries...

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

In his case they don't, lemon laws would apply to one device repaired multiple times, in his case he has already had three separate devices.

17. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Good point... :)

18. lokiju macrumors 6502

I'm having the same damn problem with my slider vibrate switch.

And this is the 2nd 3G, my first one's top sleep/wake button had sunken into the phone case, making it really hard to press.

It's very difficult to take the phone off of silent with one hand. I need to basically hold it with my right hand and then slide the switch from the top end (closest end to the microphone side) with my left, in order to be able to slide it out of vibrate.

Driving me freaking nuts having to deal with this crap.

I just want a damn iPhone that has zero issues!

Is that to much to ask for my $299 in return?

19. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am going to be driving two hours next weekend to go pick one up I really hope and pray I get a problem free one. I can't keep driving back over and over to get one problem free. But I am going to inspect the heck out of it might even stay the night and really test the battery as best I can. I mean a 1 hour battery life should show up pretty fast.

20. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I have a white one and its perfect, flawless.

Sorry but I think most of this cracks and other supposed faults are by desperate competitors posing as forum posters. I know lots of people with them , black and whit and quite honestly everbody is blown away by them.

I have never seen one with a crack seriously

I had a look at the other post by the guy who started this thread and he is apparently on his fourth -come on faulty ringer switches, faded screen sorry mate don't believe you

21. catalystPT macrumors newbie

I had the inverse happen to me. Exchanged my phone due to a defective camera and found out that the bad reception I was getting on my first 3G iphone wasn't normal. The replacement gets much better reception.

Interestingly, The "home" button on the new one I received doesn't seem quite as solid as the original one that I had, but good enough.

M

22. bigmouth macrumors 6502

All of this is explicable by random chance. Tuffy Rhodes hit three home runs on Opening Day, but only 10 more in his entire major league career. Just keep trying until you get one that satisfies.

23. atomicblastkarl macrumors newbie

I've got a perfect whitey, other than the fact that it has a light leak on the left side of the screen, and dust got in there.

24. spank2223 macrumors member

I had mine replaced with a "service unit" because my switch for the vibrate on/off fell off. The genius said that there is more quality control on these compared to new ones. I was a little iffy on this but i believe him now. I do not have the bugs in the contact app as much as i did with my new one and also the reception is much better at work(desk) then my old one(1 bar 3g new one, replacement = 3 bars 3g). But he also said that their service units are brand new right now. So i dunno. All these problems seem to be a by phone basis. Makes me think a bad batch came from China(typical). Good luck to everyone. Hopefully a patch with fix everyone's problems.

25. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Mine is hard to slide to vibrate too but I consider that a good thing. My original iPhone would switch on its own in my pocket.