My Friends bad experience with apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by munkees, Jul 1, 2009.

1. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

My Friend ordered on the 4 June a New refurbished Mac Mini. His FIRST apple. he got it one the 10th. It had 2 issues, one network was very if and go, all other the DVD drive could not read the whole DVD.

he had business, so nothing happened for a few days, when he got back we took it to the Apple Store and spoke to a Mac Genius. The Mac Genius verified the faults and opened a case (not the mac mini case, and support case with apple). Then advised my friend to call the Apple web store seeing it is a new computer to get it swapped out.

Sound simple so far, The web store, after a few days of calling and dealing with apple care decided to replace the unit, so the instructions were, as soon as the return bill get scanned for the lemon unit. Apple will send a replacement.

sounds simple.

so away it was sent, and no email came, with the new shipping number for the replacement. Called Apple, they said, they need to make a new Mac mini, seeing it was refurbished and takes 4-6 days from the date of the scanned return bill. OK 6 working days latter (8 days in real life) still not shipped. called apple, the new unit will ship on friday (3rd July, get there on monday, 6th July). Here is $150 credit back to you credit card.

here is what I don't understand, they will give you $150 for the trouble why not just then send a new unit instead of another refurbished?

nearly one month has passed and my friend is pissed that he has had such a run around from Apple, he said if it was not for developing iPhone apps he would of gone and purchased a PC.

I am very embarrassed seeing I advised him to get an Apple. I have called apple 4 times, on his behalf, and it only after I call do they do something about it. He order an Apple, got a lemon, but seems like apple has some worms in its support/customer care.

We shall see it the new unit arrives on Monday.

Lessons to be learned, don't buy refurbished macs from Apple, they cannot swap them out easily. If he had purchased a new Mac mini, this would not off happened and even though it was a web store order the Genius said he could of swapped it out at the store.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry for you friend, but sh*t happens

Your friend bought a refurb, not a new Mini
    Why should they send him a NEW Mini and not another refurb?

They are making good on their product
    It just takes some time

Hopefully the next one will work out well for him

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

4. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

It's bad that that happened, looks like Apple is making good on the problem, they did give him a credit and sending out another unit. No company is perfect.

5. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

He only got the credit after I negotiated it for him, still have to wait and see if it turns up on monday, I have no faith in that department. we get told different things every time we call. I told him next time don't buy a refurb.

6. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

That's as close to perfect as you can get with customer service. If they make a mistake, they admit it, and give something to show you that they really are sorry it happened.

$150 is more than enough - that's about 25% of the price of the computer, if not more!

7. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

I was happy with that amount, and so was he. I was shocked they did that.

8. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

That's true, I prefer not to buy refurb either. I just feel a little more at ease buy new. With all the Apple products I've brought, I've never had a problem.

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I agree, must companies out there will not even do that. Yes they are pretty close to perfect, that is why I made the switch, my house is almost PC free :).

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Refurbs can be a really good deal for someone trying to save money, and it is a better risk than eBay. There can be issues, but that is true of brand new Macs too. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a refurb if I was in the market.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

ya if u plan on buying a referb, be prepared for it not to be perfect. I wouldn't buy one usually.

12. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Apple can be anal like that, rather credit $150 but no way will they upgrade you. Ran out of promised room type hotel will upgrade Apple rarely does.

13. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I've bought nothing but refurbs and have had nothing but perfect machines out of the box. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've bought several refurbs over the last year or so, never had any problems, and even got some free upgrades. For the most part, refurbs are as good as if not better than new machines. Bad luck though.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's a game of luck, but I'd rather sit at the table in Cupertino then one from Round Rock...

16. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

don't be ignorant. More than likely its the drivers that cause the issues

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I build better Macs from junk and mail order aftermarket parts than the company does with refurbs I've only bought one refurbed Mac from a Mac store it was a G3 beige tower some years back--they weren't called "geniuses" back in those days.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, but could you turn them out in numbers...:)

19. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I have been to my nearest Apple store 2 hours away three times now and have nothing but trouble with customer service. But my hardware is always good so I go back. I just need to learn to buy online, but I always want it the same day so I drive. But nothing sucks more than driving that far to be treated like pure crap.

20. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

Update.

Today is Friday the day Apple Promised to ship his replacement Mac Mini. Well it not coming, Apple emailed him and now said 13th July (thats friday the 13th), I don't believe what bad luck he has had with Apple and get a defected refub, replaced.

21. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

+1, agree completely. I feel for your friend though.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Assuming Apple has a refurb w/the right specs I'll always buy refurb over new. Refurbs are cheaper, have been QC'ed more than once, and they carry the same warranty as a new product.

Lethal

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Using your own argument, if his mac mini was qc'ed more than once, what does that say about Apple's quality control?

24. aarcarr macrumors member

25. MacduJour macrumors newbie

if Apple's convention is: if you buy a refurb, then the replacement should be another refurb, and if you buy new then the replacement should also be new, then why is it that when my iPhone 3G kicked the bucket, the Genius staff gave me a refurb replacement? I bought my iPhone 3G brand new (stood in line day 1, what a fiasco that was) and when my white beauty broke, they gave me a refurb. I asked for a new one, but they said replacements are refurbs (came in a rather pc-oem like brown box). Interesting.

The irony is, a couple of months later, the 3GS came out, and so like the Apple sucker that I am, I bought that thing too -- and I liked my refurb 3G better because it didn't have that annoying bezel problem which my 3GS has. For those of you who have not experienced this, some 3G and 3GS phones have the right side bezel just a tiny bit too high (or the glass is too low), so you can feel it as you swipe.