My Hard drive will it be ok, hit the wall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jongewehr, May 13, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

hey guys was walkin with my macbook pro unibody, with insomnia on,

it bumped into the doorframe iwas likeNOOOOOOOOOO

no dent thank the Lord,

should the HDD be ok , i no it has the accelerometers in it, but its not like it was free falling, unless it was while i was walking,

but should it be ok?

EDIT: it would be the force of just a normal pased walk , slower side, an if u hit ur hand on the doorframe at that speed

2. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

3. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

it was on at the time an with insomnia on, Not sleeping, i wasnt loading anything or anything like that

its working fine, but was wondein if it would have done any damage,

iv done it a millions times to my pc

but 1st for my mac

i love this thing lol

4. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Well if it works then it works. But I doubt you have any damage considering it's working fine. If there was any damage done it would make itself apparent.

5. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Believe me... You have very little to worry about. Hard drives are pretty resilient these days, and the accelerometers kick in instantaneously when they sense an impact, locking the drive heads to insure that there is no damage to the hard drive platters. You'll be fine.

If you're really worried, run Tech Tool Deluxe that came with your AppleCare and do a scan of the hard drive.

6. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

great!

i don no for macs

but i always heard on pc's that sectors could get blow out if u bump the HDD, an one sectors could go a while untill u see problems an the HDD goes bad.

can this be so with mac , or not cause it uses a differnet file system

7. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Once hard drives acquire a single bad sector, they do tend to multiply over time. But as I said, i doubt there's any damage as a result of your accident. To have peace of mind though, run Tech Tool Deluxe and do a drive scan. This will let you know if you have any bad sectors.

8. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

dont have applecare right now lol planning to get it

thanks guys uv helped ease my mind

9. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

you do realize that just because its a mac doesn't mean that the hard drive will work any different than if it were on a PC. A hard drive is a hard drive.

10. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

yes , i wasnt sure how a mac handles them

11. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

how do the accelerometers work so fast,

are they instaint, like how can it sence the impact an turn off in time

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

First, if your Mac wasn't turned on, then you are quite safe. A hard drive that is not running is very stable. Second, if your Mac was turned on, but wasn't actually doing anything, then you are still reasonably safe, because most likely the hard drive was in some power saving mode at that time (I hope your not _using_ your Mac while sleepwalking :p ) The same would be true for any laptop.

The accelerometer works best when you drop a Macintosh: It senses zero gravity, so it knows there will be some bang quite soon, and it prepares for the impact before it happens. I am not sure how much it helps when you run into a door frame. If they planned for this, the engineers would have connected the accelerometer directly to the frame, so that it gets the impact immediately, say a millisecond before the hard drive. A millisecond would give your hard drive a fighting chance. Something to ask Jon Ives about the next one anyone meets him!

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That feature may not always work since you can bump it as opposed to dropping it.