my huge Mac Pro just arrived!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mward333, Aug 15, 2007.

1. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

My mac pro arrived this week; it was discussed earlier in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=296691

It has 3 of the Apple Cinema Displays, each 30 inches. (I'm using the simple GeForce cards, because I don't do anything with fast graphics... I'm computing.) This is the 8-core Mac Pro, with 16 GB of RAM (8 sticks from Ramjet, 2 GB each) and 4 TB of hard drives (4 Seagate drives, 1 TB each), 2 Superdrives, 2 Kensington mice, and 2 Matias Tactile Pro keyboards (still waiting for those to arrive).

I could have bought 32 GB of RAM, but the 4 GB sticks of RAM are much, much more expensive than the 2 GB sticks at this point in time. So I settled for 16 GB of RAM.

Now I can get some serious computing done. In case you were wondering, the answer is "no", I don't play games on it.... when I have free time, I just go home to be with my kids instead.

2. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

pictures

By the way, our classes start on Monday (I'm a professor), so my office is a mess, and I haven't had a chance to take a picture yet. There are wires and cords (and stacks of research papers) everywhere!

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Congrats on the setup, very nice, any chance of pictures.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Were you not expecting the Mac Pro to be the size that it is?

5. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

I knew exactly what it would be (I measured the physical size; I chose the memory configuration, etc.). It was everything I had hoped for!

It's just awesome to finally have it here, helping me do my research.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, Mac Pros are fun. I'm sure glad I own one.

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Congrats on your order, i hope it is everything you expected it to be and more.

May i ask why do you need that much RAM? i always wonder what software needs that much.

8. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

I'm using Maple for some computing tasks, and I also write lots of small programs to compute in C++ (sometimes multithreaded). I do the kinds of things that can be run in parallel, so I can have several tasks running at once.

In other words, I don't have just one large process, but rather I can have several small processes running at once.

9. Marley macrumors member

Marley

what are you a professor of, and where do you teach?

10. David G. macrumors 6502a

Why do you need 2 sets? Do you have four hands or something?:D

11. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

I'm not absolutely sure about how the configuration will work in my office.... My original plan was to have a keyboard on each desk (the monitors span two desks; the desks are in an L-shaped configuration). I'm still working on things. As I mentioned, it's a mess here right now.

12. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

PM sent, advertising my department... maybe Marley is a potential student!

13. I'm a ROb macrumors member

pictures?

Hi,

Any pictures yet? I'm very anxious to see them!

I'm doing a PhD in physics and I'm just jealous my professor doesn't buy a set up like that. Our group recently bought a intel xeon 8 core something (don't remember the brand, but it isn't :apple:) for FDTD. It's making a lot of noise and it's decided to put it into my lab :mad:. Damn, even the equipement for my experiments don't make that much noise! I so wish that we bought a mac pro....

14. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

My MacPro is honestly as quiet as can be.... in fact, I am amazed at how quiet it is. I have it running all the time, with all three monitors, and I don't even notice any noise difference when I boot it up or shut it down. Truly remarkable.

I'm sorry that I still haven't posted any pictures.... I'm sure that you can appreciate how busy us professors are during the days before school starts (our university starts on Monday). This week, I was grading the Ph.D. students' qualifying examinations, etc., ugh!

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Congrats on your purchase. I was following your earlier thread when you were throwing ideas around for what to get.

Look forward to the pics!

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've heard they're quite expensive. A WoW subscription is much cheaper, especially if you pay for blocks up-front.

17. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

You said, "I've heard they're quite expensive", and if the word "they" refers to the kids, then you are right. They are expensive.... but they are priceless too. I don't know what I would do without them! I must have been bored before I have kids, because they are involved in every part of life.

18. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Pictures or it never happened :p

If you'd like, you could post a screenshot too, showing us how many posts per page you can read on MR, alongside your system profiler :D

19. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

dang.... and i thought the comp in my sig was fast.....

20. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

My 12 Cores of Chaos

You mean like this? My 12 cores in chaos:
    [​IMG]

21. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

That's quite a setup! Three 30" monitors. :eek:

Congrats, and have fun with it. :)

EDIT: quite the setup you have too Multimedia. Folding table desk FTW! (I used to use one too). Looks like you and I both need to clean our desks. ;)

22. bartelby macrumors Core

23. Paulsan macrumors member

Wait 'til one of them wrecks your car. LOL :p

24. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

Multimedia--I had to laugh when I saw that desk! Yes, my desk looks something like that right now too....

By the way, I was following your thread about waiting for the new motherboards and processors, but I just couldn't wait. I have some things that I simply must get done right now, so I had to go ahead and make the jump. I bought a "Franken Mac"--isn't that what you would call it? :)

25. Keebler macrumors 68030

WOW! and i thought I was bad Multi! that pic takes the cake easily.

i'm going to clean my office right now for fear of mine turning into yours before I get too busy.

That's a compliment by the way b/c i'm busy, but not that busy! :)

Cheers,
    Keebler