Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Says who? Haswell 4980HQ has higher turbo boost than Skylake 6920HQ. And even then I saw over 10% increase in my workflows (statistical simulations) because of arch optimisations.
Of course.
It also has higher TDP, and turbo is measly 0,2 ghz higher on single core.
2012 boasted with overclocked gt650M performing better than all windows laptops at the time.
I still maintain that 2012-15 model was better form factor for thermals, my argument was that 6920hq would have performed better in the old design

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It also has higher TDP, and turbo is measly 0,2 ghz higher on single core.

The TDP is pretty much identical between the two and the small difference in top frequency is enough to explain the performance disparities you mention. Not to mention that Geekbench results for 4980HQ are rigged anyway: both top two results which are 10-15% faster than the results immediately after. So either overclocked or manipulated in some other way.

2012 boasted with overclocked gt650M performing better than all windows laptops at the time.

The gt650M was performing faster than all other gt650M, since Apple used GDDR5 on it while everyone else was pairing it with DDR3... mid-range gaming laptops used the 960M (same GPU, clocked higher) , which again was faster than Apple's version.

I still maintain that 2012-15 model was better form factor for thermals, my argument was that 6920hq would have performed better in the old design

And you say that based on what? Two obviously suspicious Geekbench benchmarks? The Skylake in the 2016 model could concisely hit its max turbo boost and it performed identically to any other Windows laptop with that CPU. Just because the 2016+ chassis is thinner, doesn't mean that its cooling is automatically worse. They have increased the air intake vent size, made the fans and the heat exchangers larger, improved the fan design etc. etc. There is no evidence whatsoever that the 2016+ chassis has resulted in more thermally constrained machine...

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Internsting. How much battery life are you getting with regular usage?
When I'm doing heavy work I'm typically not off of battery, but I've gotten ~3.5-4 hours of non-stop editing (FCPX) and footage ingesting with about 20% battery left.

Good to know, hoping my new i7 Vega 20 does the same. And I usually wipe the drive clean and install the OS from scratch on any new device I receive for peace of mind, that should be fun too.
Didn't do a fresh install myself, but would expect the same kind of experience with a clean Mojave as well.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Oh great. I just placed an order for the i7 with Vega 20 today.

Is it unreasonable to expect 7 hours of battery time with light use, like surfing the web?

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Oh great. I just placed an order for the i7 with Vega 20 today.

Is it unreasonable to expect 7 hours of battery time with light use, like surfing the web?
That's more than reasonable. With light work you should be able to get 8+ hours of usage.

Reactions: VMMan

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
It used to be a bit over 10 hours as far as I recall. So with Vega 20, the battery life is less?
10 hours was never very realistic for the 15 MBP, I never got that with real-life light workloads of email/browsing/music.

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Hmmm, I get 14 hours on my work dell XPS 15.

Greatly depends on personal use cases. Although not conclusive, the TechRadar reviews for the 2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 Dell XPS 15 using the same testing methodology had the Mac pegged at just under 10 hours of straight video playback, and the XPS 6 1/2 hours.

LaptopMag with a web surfing test has the XPS at around 11 hours, and the Mac at around 10 1/2 hours, but that is with the low-res Dell display. With the 4k display and high-end processor upgrades it lasts around 7 1/2 hours on the same web-surfing test.

Users can obviously uniquely control how they burn a battery so both computers can last as little as 4 hours of work, or 10+ super light weight productivity.

Reviews:
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/macbook-pro/2
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-xps-15-2018/2

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-15
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/macbook-pro-15-inch

Reactions: macsplusmacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.