Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Beej
When you charge it for 24 hours then let it drian completely, then fully charge it again.

Conditioning is also outlined in the user manual that comes with your laptop. The exact proceedure can vary between models portable generations. Yet another reason to read the manual for your new computer. :p

jeffberg

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2001
"Conditioning is also outlined in the user manual that comes with your laptop"

It didn't tell how to do this in my any manual for my iBook 600 Combo.

Here are the manuals it came with:
Software License agreement (multipage)
Software License Agreement (single page)
Welcome to Mac OSX
iBook Users Guide
One Year Limited warranty (terms and conditions)
Switching between OS 9 and OS X
3 Proof of Purchase Coupons
A pamphlet on what AppleCare is

Then in our AppleCare box we have:
2 Registration Cards (1 Canadian, 1 US)
Quick Reference Card
Apple Care Protection Plan (Complete outline of Plan)
Micromat TechTool Deluxe

In none of these manuals does it say anything about taking care of your battery, also tells nothing about conditioning

Am I missing something?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Check the user guide... read it cover to cover, don't skip any part of it... I will check my user guide that came with my TiBook when I get home.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
you won't want to hear this, but i think you have a lemon of a battery

the battery draining thing is done for nicad and nimh batteries, not liion bateries

draining it to below 50% percent is advised, which you obviously have done

outside of some software problem i have never heard of, it sounds like you got a bad battery

basically, if under warranty, get a new one

if you are past your warranty...again, you will not like to hear this...get a new battery

your problem is the first time i have ever heard of such a thing as a tech, but talk to an apple certified technician like alphatech and see what he has to say...i would say PM him asap

good luck on your ibook battery problem

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Re: Re: My iBook is Trash. Utter and Complete.

Originally posted by iH8Quark

haven't we already had a long conversation about the use of this term?

no offense to any Romani. Where's IndyGopher when you need him? ;)
He's right here, and had you not corrected him, I was going to... so thanks!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Alright, jeffberg, I just pulled out the manual that came with my TiBook. It's titled "Getting Started With Your PowerBook G4" look for something similar. In the TOC there is a listing for "Calibrating Your Battery for Best Performance".

Essentially, before you use the computer, plug it in, let it fully charge, unplug it and use until the first low battery warning comes on the screen. Then plug it back in and let recharge.

Dr_Floyd

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
grab that manual alphatech mentioned, in there it talks about resetting the power management. follow those instructions and let the unit charge till the battery shows a complete charge and then test again

jeffberg

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Alright, jeffberg, I just pulled out the manual that came with my TiBook. It's titled "Getting Started With Your PowerBook G4" look for something similar. In the TOC there is a listing for "Calibrating Your Battery for Best Performance".

That kind of "Getting started guide came with my PowerMac, but my iBook guide is just called "iBook." The TOC includes Features, Basics, Internet and email, Music and desktop video, productivity, Learning more and solving problems, Installing memory and airport card, Ergonomics and safety. Yes I have read through every page of every manual, and no mention of this, but it is no big deal, I get around 4 hours of battery in OSX, and I run it from full to nothing quite often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.