Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChePibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
I have a strange, strange problem that has plagued my iBook (12" G4 1.33) for as long as I've had it (a little more than a year now).

The speaker balance will randomly shift to the right speaker. Sometimes all the way, sometimes just a little bit, but it just seems to inevitably shift that way.

I have no idea what causes it. The only link I can think of is iTunes, but I'm not sure if iTunes is changing it somehow or if I only notice it when I have iTunes running.

Any idea what's causing this? I lean to the right a wee bit myself, but I somehow doubt the iBook is picking up on these vibes...

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I've had that happen, too. It hasn't happened recently, so I haven't been able to track it down. It did happen more than once, though.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I think it's a glitch in Tiger. It happens on my iBook too, so don't worry. It's note iTunes, it's just Tiger.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Almost the same thing happens to me on my powerbook... for me the sound shifts to the left speaker only.

I haven't found the cause. For me it seems to be correlated to when I unplug my speakers. That may just be a coincidence though.

Could you do me a favor? Shift all of the sound to one speaker and see if you can hear the sound out of the other one. You shouldn't be able to, except for me it's not possible for me to shift the sound to the right speaker only; the sound still comes out of the left speaker. I can successfully shift the sound to the left speaker though. So strange. Perhaps these two issues are related?

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I have the same problem, but it can shift left or right. Like you, I also have a 12" 1.33 gHz iBook I got a bit over a year ago. I think it's sleep or battery related, as I'm on the go with my iBook quite a bit.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
System Preferences ---> Sound ---> Balance

Or option-mute (or volume up or down) to get there a bit faster. Yes, it fixes it temporarily, but the problem is that I have to fix the balance almost every day at some point. Not a horrible issue, but very annoying.

ChePibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Whew, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Interesting - you'd figure Apple could come out with some kind of simple fix to a problem like this. Surely, there must be something modifying that setting...

Anybody know of a fix? :D

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
Whew, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Interesting - you'd figure Apple could come out with some kind of simple fix to a problem like this. Surely, there must be something modifying that setting...

Anybody know of a fix? :D

10.4.8 (or was it 10.4.7) fixed this issue for my old PowerBook. I wonder why you're all still having problems.

ChePibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Thanks iMeowbot! Works like a charm!

Wish I'd found this months ago!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.