Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Just wanted to share my thoughts with you guys n gals on the Incipio NGP case I ordered last week. I bought the translucent mercury thinking it might be somewhat see through. Well it's not :mad: The case itself however feels amazing in the hand. The texture and grip of this harder style TPU is top notch.

A quick tour around the device shows great tactile volume buttons to start. They respond like there isn't a case on the phone. The mute/silent switch is easy to get to. The bottom area of the case seemed half-assed with 3 rectangle cutouts. The plus on that though is most 3rd party headphones should work. The bottom also doesn't have that cheap saggy feel (well the case I got doesn't at least). The top sleep/wake button is the downside. The mold of the button needs a revision because it's very hard to press down. Hopefully there is a fix coming soon. I like the fact the branding is minimal and barely noticeable. The camera cutout is the way I like it too. No washout or flashback with this new NGP. I hate the iphone 5 cases that are keeping the same huge cutout that was used for the 4/4S.

The case all in all though is great. The color, the feel, and it has a nice lay on table design. Def worth the $18 I spent for it.

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• DSC_0856.JPG
    DSC_0856.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC_0855.JPG
    DSC_0855.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC_0859.JPG
    DSC_0859.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC_0862.JPG
    DSC_0862.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 609
  • DSC_0866.JPG
    DSC_0866.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 487

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I saw from the product shots that it didn't look to be see-through, as the 4/4S NGP cases were... so that's disappointing to hear that they indeed aren't. I loved the NGP on my 4S, but this looks to need a revision done before it's any good. thanks for your insight.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
My Incipio Frequency is a little hard to push the sleep/wake button as well

That's be my only complaint really as it's a great case looks similar to this one

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I think these translucent cases aren't going to show much for the black iPhone5 because the Apple logo is so dark. I have a Belkin Candy Grip Sheer that is translucent blue. With my 5 in there I can BARELY make out the Apple logo. If I place my wife's 4s again the back I can clearly see the logo. You'll see the white 5's much better.

chrsb

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
MI
Just got mine yesterday and have the same problem with the sleep wake button. I really have to press down on it for it to work. The volume buttons are great. I am keeping it on my phone for now, I really love the feel of it.

idyll

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
This looks really good to me, thanks for the info and pics. I'm curious why people who have had both the Frequency and NGP prefer the Frequency. The only difference between the two seems to be the design on the back? Or am I missing something here?

I have the Frequency currently but only because I could not find the NGP case at the time. I prefer the simpler design of the NGP.

Argentine86

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2011
Just got mine yesterday and have the same problem with the sleep wake button. I really have to press down on it for it to work. The volume buttons are great. I am keeping it on my phone for now, I really love the feel of it.

X2

I love the coverage and protection, except damn sleep button hard to press. (I have black one) Have noticed after a week that it has softened up a bit than when new, but still a LOT more effort needed than the volume buttons. Was going to jump on the Frequency but I've heard yes and no to the sleep button problem...

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
X2

I love the coverage and protection, except damn sleep button hard to press. (I have black one) Have noticed after a week that it has softened up a bit than when new, but still a LOT more effort needed than the volume buttons. Was going to jump on the Frequency but I've heard yes and no to the sleep button problem...

Incipio is letting me send it back for a new one. They are aware of the problem so I'm hoping I will get a new updated case. They gave me a 30% discount code too.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Looks pretty solid. I had it for my 4S and have been debating getting one for my 5. I'm currently using a thinner snap on type case.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
X3.

I have the same issue with my mercury gray frequency.

X2

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
My Incipio Frequency is a little hard to push the sleep/wake button as well

That's be my only complaint really as it's a great case looks similar to this one

I found that at first with my frequency, but it got much better with use.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for feedback guys.

I'm in the UK an no one seems to sell the Mercury Grey, do you think I should just settle for the Obsidian Black?

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for feedback guys.

I'm in the UK an no one seems to sell the Mercury Grey, do you think I should just settle for the Obsidian Black?

I'm in the UK. I ordered my mercury gray direct from incipio and it took 5 days to arrive.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Just wanted to share my thoughts with you guys n gals on the Incipio NGP case I ordered last week. I bought the translucent mercury thinking it might be somewhat see through. Well it's not :mad: The case itself however feels amazing in the hand. The texture and grip of this harder style TPU is top notch.

You take good pictures!

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Does anyone know if this fits on really snug like the one for the 4S did? Or is it kinda loose like a lot of TPU cases out there where dirt and crap gets under the case?

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Did you get a replacement case from Incipio regarding the sleep/wake button issue?

I still have to send the package back, but hoping they revise them as well

Does anyone know if this fits on really snug like the one for the 4S did? Or is it kinda loose like a lot of TPU cases out there where dirt and crap gets under the case?

It fits super snug and prob one of the best TPU cases out

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
I ordered a black one and sent it back due to the sleep wake button issue. Funny though, when I emailed them they had no knowledge of the issue even though the Amazon reviews were VERBATIM what I was experiencing. I also had a lot of sharp "edges" along the side of the case where it meets the ack. it's too bad. Their NGP case for the 4/4S is amazing. :(

jason4427

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Chicago
I don't think there is an issue with the sleep button. I have the frequency which is essentially the same. It was very difficult to push at first, but I've gotten it broken in nicely. Much better now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.