My iOS 5 Rant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frunk, Jun 7, 2011.

1. frunk macrumors member

iOS 5 has a bunch of cool features, but it also has some major drawbacks. Aside from the apparent 'beta software' stuff, I think iOS has become extremely ugly.

One major example is the overuse of the 'Switcher' image. This is that image used in folders and the switcher and now in the Notification Center. It's so overbearing. It's also on the first screen you see when you set up the iPhone. It's ugly.

Another thing is the image at the bottom of the slide-down notification tray. Look at it. Apple's designers weren't even trying.

I'm also not a fan of the separate Music + Videos. What was wrong with the iPod? I remember using a jailbreak tweak that merged Music and Videos on my iPod just because it was terrible having the two distinct icons.

That's my rant.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I, like you, prefer the iPod app. But Apple separated Music and Video to make it more consistent across all iOS devices.

3. shandyman Suspended

They're moving the iPhone closer to the iPod Touch and iPad in terms of unified native apps, there's logic there, it's just a bit odd that they just didn't do that in the first place rather than let iPhone people get used to having the iPod app for 4 years

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

WTH is this so-called "switcher" image? Are you talking about the wallpaper pattern?

And if you are that bothered by 3 horizontal lines to indicate a draggable slider, I hate to see what else bugs you that much.

5. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Wouldn't it have made more sense to just change the separate apps on the iPod Touch to an iPod app? Of course there could be a reason the iPod Touch has separate apps that I don't know about.

6. mariocapo macrumors member

I'd say it's a pretty good thing if that's all you have to complain about. Considering all the major additions/changes. I don't use my iPhone for videos often so that's not really huge to me and I'm happy there's a better notification system regardless of the background image on it.

7. shandyman Suspended

well the whole device is an ipod, why then make an iPod app? you never saw that on the iPod classic, etc.

Plus makes it easier for iTunes on the Cloud as it's music only. there needed to be unity across the devices for this.

8. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Please don't get them started!!!:eek: :D

9. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Image at the bottom of the slide-down notification tray should've been the status bar, it should've been the status bar that you drag down.

10. nora47 macrumors regular

i like the separation of Music and Videos since i never liked having them together but i think they should have kept the music app on the iphone at the very least called iPod, but hey apple is going for consistency here.

11. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I kinda understand the iPod thing. Like I mentioned in a previous post, every phone platform has a Music app and a Videos app. We had an iPod app. It was an Apple thing and it was ours. But, I also understand the need for app unification and perhaps it has something to do with music syncing or whatever.

And the linen pattern ... really? Personally I like it, but c'mon a rant needs a strong foundation than a linen background.

12. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i bet you upgrade right away once it goes public though.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes! Surely I'm not the only one with a 'Videos' folder who has Netflix and Hulu both together.

On my iPad I can put the 'Videos' app in there because, you know, that makes sense.

On my iPhone, I can't. I'm glad Apple is splitting this up. What do videos have to do with music anyway? Why should they be in the same app? Should they combine 'Contacts' with 'Weather?' Sure, why not? They have about as much to do with each other as music and movies do.

14. dizzy130 macrumors member

My head thinks it makes sense to have separate Music and Videos apps...but my heart is sad there's no more iPod :eek:

15. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple takes it's customers feedback seriously.

Then they build what they were going to build anyway...ha..ha...ha...

16. frunk thread starter macrumors member

[​IMG] It haunts me in my sleep.

Apple is very graphics/presentation oriented. They singlehandedly produced the most graphically stunning OS. Why on EARTH would they emphasize this ugly switcher linen?! The circular switches are really pretty - I won't be missing the clunky squares. (Unfortunately tapping the Circles is a bit harder)

With Apple, I expect GUI perfection. I don't buy Apple products because they are fast - I buy them because they look good. OS X Lion has a nice GUI. I don't see how they couldn't have incorporated more of it in iOS 5.

The three lines at the bottom of the notification tray may be the ugliest of all. They're so off-putting. ANDROID has a better looking tray, and I consider android to be one of the uglier OS's.

17. Krandor macrumors 6502

Sometimes you have things that are combinations of the two. I have podcast feeds that have both audio and video files in them. Are they music or video? In this case, it looks like under video I can see just the video files in the podcast but under music I get the whole podcast feed with audio and video. A little odd.

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

This is where themes comes in. I'm disappointed we don't have themes yet, but we can still hope...

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And the Oscar for the biggest drama queen on a forum goes to.....frunk:rolleyes:

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't know, but none of these things bug me about iOS. Instead of adding new features, they should also seek to improve old ones.

Weather app - make some cool animations when checking weather like HTC
    phone app - delete calls one by one

Just general things could do some work. Sure, it's "copying" but Apple got too comfy on their high horse and now they've fallen behind on some things.

I'm still excited about iOS 5. Hope they make the notifications look nicer though. Didn't like that large all white notification.

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

To each his own but don't be such a drama queen...