My iPad 2g predictions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zompac, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Zompac macrumors newbie

I think the iPad will have a 5mp 720p or 1080p video camera on the back. It will probably have the same design and will have an all new A4 processor which will include a dual core processor and a beefed up GPU. Instead of the 256mb ram it will probably have 1gb of ram.

There will probably be a 1920 by 1200 display as well. Because of the better graphics capability it will be able to easily play 1080p movies and games.

There will probably be a more sensitive gyroscope than the iPhone 4 as well.

Apple likes investing in imagination technologies which supplies their ios based platform's GPUs. For 2 years they had one the best graphics chips for a mobile device in their iPhone 3GS. Just play epic ciditel unreal engine 3. Anyways they will probably invest in an awesome GPU for the next years ios devices so you can have xbox360 graphics on your mobiles.

Oh and of corse it will be even more Magical! :eek:

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think you're right that they will have a camera, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is low resolution like the iPod touch and only on the front, The iPad is a little too big to use as a camera.
    The Ram will probably go up as well, 1GB would be nice, but I think 512MB is more likely.

3. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I think so too, 512MB Ram but i think it will definately have Facetime, but not sure about rear camera.... maybe 3G iPad

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It'll definitely have FaceTime -- rear camera capable of stills and video, front facing video camera. 512MB is a definite, I'm really hoping for 1GB though, the gyroscope is also a definite.

If they do increase the resolution like they did with the iPhone 4, it'll have to maintain the same aspect ratio.
    I want it to have a 2560x1920 resolution which will be exactly the same PPI as the iPhone 4. That's also about six times more pixels... but, it'd be magical.

It'd need some powerful CPU and GPU to handle apps and games at that resolution and also need to keep its nice battery life -- I wonder if Apple are really that good.

5. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

So its pretty much assured that it will have facetime, but I think that they'll add a rear camera as well cause half of facetime is showing people what youre seeing. Its good more and more companies are making tablets so apple has to make each upgrade even better if they want to stay ahead of the pack. So I think the next ipad update will be a very generous one.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Great point about half of facetime. This beefs up my argument that the iPad should have a rear camera.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It's amazing people are talking about 1920X1080 resolution on 9.7 inch screen. But, for how much is that going to cost? 499 dollars?
    Over 300 pixels per inch on 9.7 inch screen? Retina Display is too expensive.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Human nature. "If technology x exists then it should be in everything."

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

People should seriously stop thinking ipad will get a "retina" display.

i just laugh so hard.

I mean 25xx res on a 9 inch screen. read that back x10 times, its overkill.

Dont be stupid.

10. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

+1

No "retinal" display untill iPad 4 and by then it'll have a LED to eink backlight and a 3D without glasses display!

Also imagine how rubbish 720p video would look scaled 4x ...

11. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

I think the resolution will be 1280x960, or maximum 1600x1200.
    720p video would fit inside 1280x960, for instance.

12. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It has to be exactly double. Otherwise, they can't code the old applications to fill the new one, and then iPad applications will have to support two different resolutions.

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

They arent going to change the resolution and screw over the early adopters.

Retina display. Yeah. Sure. :rolleyes:

14. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm not stupid, it isn't unrealistic to want the retina display on the iPad. And, it isn't overkill. 2048x1536 is 264 PPI and is the only option, if any, despite what I said before.

480p on a "retina" iPad would look identical as it would on the current iPad since the physical display is exactly the same size, it just means you'd actually be able to play 1080p video on it -- which would look amazing :eek:

720p would look better on the higher res display since the current iPad can't really play 720p without filling the screen -- since its horizontal resolution is 1024.

15. theelex macrumors newbie

Think of the strategy to always take a lead in the market with somethings cool.

1. Has anyone think of the LiquidMetail tech that Apple licensed few months ago, this will make the unibody of any hardwares to come lighter and thinner so Ipad2 will be lighter for sure (50% I hope). Other rivals don't have this tech!

2. Retina display is now employed in iPod latest gen (even not as high res as iPhone4) so will the new Ipad (conform to the tendency)

3. Think about the commercial about new iPad if they will saying something like "Talking with the one you love with even larger screen which you can look into their eyes, it's just great". So why not FaceTime call which even iPod has it.

4. Faster speed, more rams to catch up other tablets to come.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Do people really want 1080p playback on a 7-10inch screen, really? For what purpose (other than bragging rights), 1080p is best suited for TV's 42" and higher, not a 10" screen.

Its not unrealistic to want a Retina display on the iPad, but what is unrealistic is to expect it to still be priced at $499.

17. Hraggleblarg macrumors member

You might be right, but it'd be nice to have such an amazing screen. No need to be laughing about it.

[​IMG]

18. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Seriously though! It never stops.....people just don't get it. The fact that apple labels their hi-Rez screen as a "retina display", just further perpetuates these people that just have no clue....do people still realize iPad has a higher rez than the iPhone 4? It's going to take some time for a "retina" (curse you apple!) display to make it on the iPad. Sorry but, it's the truth

19. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

It's laughable because it's not realistic. Why is this so hard to understand? :rolleyes:

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You base this on what?

21. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

I would be surprised if it didn't get 1gb of RAM... I think the iPad is destined to be the flagship iOS device... first gen already has (except for RAM) the best specs of all iOS devices, and I don't see them not letting loose on the 2nd gen a bit more... will have the new iOS A4 chip set (I will bet we see 1.5ghz single core, since multi-thread/core apps would create a huge headache for developers, and a higher clocked single core is faster for most users than a lower clocked dual core).

Even though Apple rarely competition shops on the surface, there is no doubt they are watching what the others are doing. No way will they allow BB to have top to bottom better specs simply because 1gb RAM costs them about 4$ extra to toss in than 512mb.

I don't know about camera's though... facetime camera, yes, that is a given... but rear camera? I doubt it. Too big to be a camera device. It would be like tossing a rear facing camera on a netbook or 13" laptop, pointless and useless for most everyone, and would only drive costs up more than other upgrades (gotta design a camera port, wire it in, software, firmware, hardware, etc) Not as simple as tossing in a denser RAM chip or faster CPU.

22. wbc macrumors member

Retina Display would be nice, but what we all know Apple releases updates at the same price point.

Can a Retina Display be made at that size that still allows Apple to keep the same pricing schedule on iPads?

I am unaware at the cost implications, but I doubt it's cheap.

I could care less about camera, but it looks like Apple is pushing FaceTime. Hence, I'm sure it will have at least a rear facing camera.

I don't think that a camera is a priority, as most iPad owners are tech savvy and already have an iPhone (or other smart phone) that can be used to take cameras.

The biggest thing I see is what will Apple do with the 30 pin connector with the new Euro regulations requiring micro-USB???

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

Liquidmetal's alloys allow for improved fabrication methods and while there's a weight advantage, it won't amount to much. The only area where they could use it is the shell, which now weighs about 5 ounces. Assuming they can cut weight by 25% that's just over an ounce - not a huge deal. Where it matters is they can possibly gain some efficiency, and possibly cost, in the manufacturing process.

24. theelex macrumors newbie

I don't know that fact, thanks anyway. Thus, weight lost a bit plus little more room from less thickness to yield the same strength (guess Apple will do just make the shell same strength), gen2 will be thinner and even got the lower portion the same look as Air which has super thin edges and thicker in the middle part. That will make it look even thin.

25. Green™ macrumors member

Wow. It's apparent that you're new to Apple. Expect Apple to not even meet half of these. Oh, the naivety of youth. :rolleyes: