My ipad 3 is just way too heavy sometimes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

And my iPhone 5 sometimes feels to small to do a lot of browsing. I think I'm gonna bite and get the ipad mini. I want to get it with best buy instore credit though. What are the chances of getting one there anytime soon? I know their iphone 5 stock was a joke.

2. MistaGavin macrumors member

MistaGavin

That's the main reason I wanted the mini. The blacks are still in stock at apple. Best Buy... probably in a week?

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a ton of old video games to sell and best buy is having a 100% extra trade in credit right now. I could get this mini for fairly cheap, which is why I have to get it at best buy.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Hahaha! You're just trying to justify a purchase of the mini. 2 weeks ago, the weight was tolerable but now it's way too heavy. :rolleyes:

5. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. The weight isn't a problem, he/she is just looking for a flaw in the current model so they would justify buying the latest and greatest.

It's quite simple - if you want the latest, then get it. You don't have to post it on a forum.

6. Jacoblee23, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012

Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I wanted the latest and greatest I would sell my 3 and buy the 4.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

No. You wouldn't get the 4 because it looks like the 3. You want something new, and that's fine.

8. txflyfish macrumors member

I would have to agree with the OP. iPad 3 is cumbersome. And I've owned all 3 generations. This has not changed since day 1 nor have my hands ever gotten used to the heft

9. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

I would expect Best Buy to have them in stock on November 2nd? or after. I'm surprised by all the put downs just because OP said iPad 3 is heavy (which it is if you've ever used an iPad 2 before).

Even the beloved Steve Jobs pitched the iPad 2 as a totally different user experience because of the weight savings from iPad 1 in 2011.

We're only talking 1.5 lbs vs 1.3 lbs vs 1.44 lbs, but it's a big difference if you've ever had the chance to compare the iPad 2 to the other two.

10. advan031 macrumors 6502

I don't mind the weight of the iPad3 but since I can get something that is lighter and smaller to carry every day then I will:D

11. urkel macrumors 68030

You have to blame yourself on your wording because people out here are hypocrites and pounce on anyone who says anything perceived as negative. 3.5" was the "perfect" size until the 4" came out and became the new perfect. The iPhone 4 comes out and its thin but then iPhone 5 comes out and suddenly the 4/4S is heavy and bulky. The retina iPad came out then they claim the iPad 2 makes their eyes bleed. But now the mini is out and they claim retina isnt necessary.

Its true. The iPad IS heavy for some tasks like reading in bed or holding extensively while watching an hour long tv show. But you wont get the Apple defense squad to admit that until the "impossibly thin" iPad 5 comes out.

Anyway, I;m getting a Mini because I want a reader but dont want a single-tasking device like a Kindle so hopefully the weight feels right for night reading.

12. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had an ipad 2 for a year before I got the 3. The difference is definitely noticeable.

----------

I don't mind it do much when it is laying on something, but when I am lying in bed, and try to hold it up, it gets old.

13. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Because he has a comparison now with his current iPad to the iPad mini and with us apple fanboys who love thin and light we now can determine that the iPad is heavy when compared to the mini.

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

May I suggest a good support. I use mine with a really nice pillow thingy made for the ipad. It weighs nothing, is very comfy, and fits perfectly.

Wedgestand.

Just a piece of light foam with a cotton cover. Get the fleece,as its the softest. We have two.

(Not connected to them)

This way, the weight of these means nothing at all.

15. AlterZgo macrumors member

OP, I agree. I have an iPad 2 and iPad 3 and also a Kindle. It is virtually impossible to comfortably read for an extended period holding any full size iPad in one hand.

In contrast, I can comfortably read with a Kindle for hours. Only downside is no illumination (on my 3rd gen Kindle).

iPad mini's weight is much closer to the Kindle's and I can see myself replacing the Kindle with an iPad mini in the near future. The other 7" tablets offered like the B&N Nook HD and Kindle Fire HD are all heavier than the iPad mini, yet offer noticeably smaller screens.

16. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

The mini should be a good reader, though I do have two hesitations. The really thin vertical borders because the Nexus 7 borders are already pretty small, and the resolution. It is around 160 ppi, but I can't really stand blocky text anymore personally. I think 200+ ppi is the sweet spot for tablets and at least 260+ ppi for phones.

By the way, the phenomenon you're describing may somewhat be explained here http://arstechnica.com/science/2011...m-of-favorite-brands-as-threat-to-self-image/

It's is a good read about fanboyism and weird brand loyalty (even though a company doesn't care about you at all and they just want you to keep buying their products).

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

The company cares about us alright. Our welfare, desires, and happiness, are closely tied to its survival and growth.

But, you could also say that no one really gives a &$@& about anyone but themselves or their children.

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I am a little worried about the resolution. But I think it will do alright. I remember comparing my iPhone 3GS to the 4 and it was night and day...but that was a combination of multiple factors - higher resolution, IPS, and the display being closer to the glass. This will be like the iPad 2 screen, but better as the pixels are still smaller.

As for the thin side borders, Apple has added some new software to the touch handling to reject touch inputs if you are just holding the device. Kind of like on the laptop trackpad where you can rest your thumb on the bottom while doing a two finger scroll at the same time. If there is one area of software development I trust Apple in it is definitely touch input.

The weight of iPad for me though is not bad, but if you want to sit in an armless chair and read a book while holding it up to your face and sipping a cup of coffee it is just not comfortable for a period of more than 10 minutes. Also while laying on the couch or in bed you end up resting it on your chest rather than holding it up. Those are the areas the mini will excel in.

19. Leonard1818, Oct 26, 2012

Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Look,

My overall point is that when you post a title and anecdotal info that overshadows the main question on a public forum, you're bound to get the type of replies that were seen.

If you clicked on a thread called "Mmmmm Sandwich time" and the body of the post read "The other day I was eating an apple butter and maple syrup sandwich and got some maple syrup on my screen. What's the best way to get the sticky residue off?"

...would you really expect people to ONLY offer information regarding how to remove sticky residue from a phone screen? Do you think people would simply ignore the title and the fact that someone is eating a sandwich with apple butter and maple syrup on it and not comment or say a thing?

Seriously...

20. bogatyr, Oct 26, 2012

bogatyr macrumors 65816

If you read for 8 hours, it is heavy to hold in one hand. I switched to a Nook for a while and found it to be the perfect size/comfort to read for long periods. The only downfall was the OS, so I switched back to the iPad 2. Now I'm waiting on the Mini due to the size/weight.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Who reads for 8 hours? I need a potty break. Or two. And lunch. And snacks. And I need to get up and walk around stretch my legs. 8 hours.... I sleep for 8 hours. About the only thing I can do 8 hours straight....

22. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I can read 20 hours straight. Kills my neck if I keep looking down. So I need to hold the iPad and move around.

iPad 2 wasn't too bad, iPad 3 (that extra 60g or so?) and the slight added thickness made a difference... hard to imagine but iPad 3 is not as comfortable as iPad 2... it's weight and thickness is close to iPad 1 bad :)

23. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Totally agree with you on this one, i love the form factor of the ipad 2 but didn't end up buying it because it wasn't retina. When the ipad 3 came it had retina but the added weight was really uncomfortable after a while. Too bad they didn't cut down the weight and thickness of the iPad 4 if not i would have jumped on it.

24. hyteckit Guest

I wish my iPad 1 has the same weight of the iPad 2. iPad 1 is too heavy.

25. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

This! :D

----------

Correct. As much as I love apple products I won't buy any of their products that don't have a retina display anymore.