iPad My iPad Air benchmarked.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Southernboyj, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Southernboyj, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I got my iPad Air from Wal-Mart at midnight.

I've been using it and comparing it to my iPad 3 and it runs iOS 7 soo much better.

Here's a GeekBench comparison.

My iPad 3 completed the Benchmark in 5:52.
    My iPad Air completed it in 0:48.

Ignore the fact that the second picture says iPad 4,1 in GeekBench.. It's an Air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

numbers are kinda low?

my iPhone 5s is 1417/2563

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

Second picture is the iPad Air. First pic is the previous iPad

Edit: never mind didn't see your 5s comparison.

Either way, the iPad Air should be slightly faster, and even faster under a higher load

4. redman042 macrumors 68020

Could you try comparing the web browsing of some complex sites on the two side by side? Tell us how much better the Air feels loading, scrolling, starting videos, etc.

5. Southernboyj, Nov 1, 2013

Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I tried loading The Verge which is pretty graphic intense for a web site and it loaded much much faster on the iPad Air. The iPad 3 took about 8 more seconds to fully load it.

It feels really awesome in the hand too. Very light, much easier to type in portrait thanks to the slim bezels. Shoot me any questions guys.. I'll be happy to do more tests.

----------

Did another test and it scored 1385/2237. Weird.

6. bobright macrumors 601

Do you have a mostly uniform screen, some light bleed is fine but nothing abnormal on an all black jpg? If you'd rather not go looking for it that's fine.

7. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

\

I think someone else tested one and it was a higher score than my phone which made sense to the claims....

8. redman042 macrumors 68020

Great!

So how would you compare loading The Verge on your iPad Air versus a typical laptop? Is it still noticeably slower?

One of my issues with all iPads to date is that web browsing still doesn't feel nearly as good as a real computer. I work the browser hard, opening multiple tabs and quickly switching between them as I look for an answer to a work problem or a cheap flight on my next vacation. So the speed of a true computer really stands out in that situation, and sometimes my iPad 3 just doesn't cut it.

Just wondering if the Air has closed the gap enough so that more intense use of the browser is pretty much the same as on a PC now.

9. Southernboyj, Nov 1, 2013

Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I did some testing on this immediately. The screen is stellar. No dead/stuck pixels, no yellow hue, very minimal light bleed.

----------

The only computer I have with me is a 2011 iMac. Let me do some speed comparisons vs the iPad Air.

EDIT: It's loading on-par with my iMac. This could come down to WiFi speed.. But the rendering on the A7 is great. Even without a side by side of my iPad 3, I can tell this is much quicker throughout the entire UI.

10. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Holly smokes! I have been using the iPad 3, this should be a HUGE upgrade, what a difference!

No more lag:D right? man my iPad 3 was so slow. typing had so much lag.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Anandtech reported still lag and stutters.

12. bobright macrumors 601

Great to hear thanks

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

14. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Just did a 3rd test..

1478/2642

No idea what caused the spike.

----------

I just ran Sunspider tests.

iPad Air: 383ms
    iPad 3: 1324ms

----------

Anandtech reported lag in their review.. I haven't noticed any so far.

15. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Seriously? WOW...with this powerful chip it has to be software related, seems iOS7 was never really perfected on iPad.

Anyone else seeing this keyboard lag?

----------

Oh man, thanks, that's good to hear:)

16. nemesis4670 macrumors member

Why is this confusing to you? The iPad Air and iPhone 5S have the exact same A7 chip this time around. It's not an A7X. Just a very slightly higher clocked A7 chip.

Also guys... you seriously can't be surprised that the software is not totally optimized yet. Not only is this the first time we have a CPU with 64-bit architecture, but it's also the first time iOS has been completely redesigned since it's inception in 2007.

With the whole "Air" title I wouldn't be surprised if we see an iPad Pro with A7X at some point. Almost seems like they are trying to mix the laptop & tablet line more closely. Maybe they'll copy the Surface and start making attachable keyboard accessories.

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What would an "X" chip be? Is there something the A7 doesn't have that an A7X would?

18. zunairryk macrumors regular

Does it stutter when going from portrait to landscape orientation (and vice versa) on the home screen? What about when going to multitasking windows and going back and forth on apps?

I have these 'issues' on my 4th gen ipad. There is no lag but more like stutter/ frame drop.

Oh and also swiping down on home screen (spotlight search ) drops frame from time to time

19. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

The "X" series (A5X/A6X) were the same A5 and A6 variants, but with added quad-core graphics needed to drove the retina display. Don't worry though, the A7 in the Air is much faster than even the A6X with its graphics chipset.

20. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

doesn't the a7 already have a quad core gpu? how can you add better performance to this chip besides over clocking it?

21. mackinmike macrumors 6502

Eh.. waiting for the next one... seriously these updates are getting really stale .

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yes, that's why I'm asking what an A7X would have that the A7 doesn't. I don't think it matters what Apple calls the chip.

23. joachimnb macrumors member

I think the Air is a no go. Even though CPU power is plenty, it still can't hide the fact that ram is not enough. Wait up for 2 or 3 gigs of ram. Or get the Air and sell it by then. But of course, do not expect no lag on this device. That is how I see it. Air-lightness and 64 bit fast processor removes focus from what is still a problem.

24. redman042 macrumors 68020

Web browsing on par with a 2 year old iMac? That's awesome. I can't wait to try the Air out. Ordered for store pickup at midnight last night, but had a long work day and won't be able to trek up to the Apple Store until tomorrow.

25. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

The iPad Air uses the same chip clocked 100Mhz higher...about a 7/8% increase over the 5s. The OP's tests compared to yours (his initial results) seem about perfect and what would be expected from such a bump in clock speed.

No...he reported it 'occasionally' dropped below 30fps during a transition or pulling the multitasking tray up. I don't recall him ever using the word stutters. And I'm not so sure 'lag' was appropriate either...as he did mention the considerable .0X improvements have made to iOS 7---now iOS 7.03

For what it's worth...as another person mentioned, I've been on mine all day while it's downloading almost 60GB of apps and magazines, music and information.....nary a stutter or frame drop. I've tried the 5 finger pinch to home screen, the home button, the multi tasking via 4 fingers up, app switching side to side...I'm impressed. And I've got the iPad 4...but it was time for my wife to move up to retina from her iPad 2.

I think I mentioned everything in my earlier reasponse except the portrait/landscape motion. Pure elegance. No delay or frame drops. It's instantaneous.

As an owner of each I can't tell you how much I disagree. Just the weight alone. Forget the speed...and the display....and the incredible performance right outta the box! Each iteration has doubled the performance of the previous generation. And the first mobile 64bit mobile chip in a tablet? Stale? Bad choice of adjective.

I'm not sure I'm following you. As an owner, I can honestly say you're wrong. Entirely. If 2GB of RAM happens to show up in the next version, one can easily sell their current tablet for 70-80% of its retail value and replace it. This entire RAM thing has been tiresome. As a 5s and now Air owner...it's really hard to explain what a problem it is absolutely NOT! Keep in mind the development community is just now starting to optimize their apps for the A6. And transitioning their 64bit instructions. Primary focus is STILL on the A5 and the massive population of folks using A5 based iOS devices. That's where the money is. Developers for iOS, unlike PCs only have specific devices to program for. There won't be an app developed for quite some time that won't run slicker than snot on the iPad Air. Same can't be said for the competition. As an Android owner myself, it's very disheartening to attempt to buy an app and get the dreaded 'this device is not supported' message.
    Point is...you can wait til the cows come home for Apple to add what you deem necessary but until THEY feel it's needed you'll continue to wait and use inferior hardware. If you're choosing other tablets on the market based on specs or more specifically, RAM. Apple, regardless if it's iOS or OSx has always maintained better memory management than other folks in the hard/software business. Something to be said when you build the software, help refine the SoC and low level programming packages and are able to capitalize on that optimization.

JMHO....and as always, YMMV
    But after playing on this baby for almost 9 hours straight, I'm incredibly impressed. That's from an owner of each iPad iteration. Fanboy? Yep....of technology. And a very satisfied Apple customer. I find it pretty cool my phone and tablet share the same DNA

J