All iPads My iPad Air story.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by evasquez7, Nov 2, 2013.

1. evasquez7 macrumors member

Ok so heres my story. Once Apple announced both the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina Display, I thought I wanted the new mini. I instantly sold the original mini in anticipation of getting the new one. Like most people, I loved the form factor but hated the screen resolution. So selling my old mini and using that cash to upgrade to the new one was a no brainer. Then I started reading impressions of the Air. Thinner, lighter....you know the story. I thought for sure if I bought an Air, I would no longer want a mini. I always thought that using a full sized iPad in public with its big screen was a bit overkill, but once I got into the Apple Store to by the Air I was sold. I picked up a 32GB LTE Verizon model and went home. Now let me add this in there, I also have a 64GB WiFi 4th Gen. Once I got home, I started having buyers remorse. As I started testing out different type of scenarios where I would normally be using a mini, I started to get dissapointed. The iPad Air is thinner and lighter but it's still a full sized tablet. If you like the form factor and portability of the mini, then get the mini. The iPad Air is not the tablet for you if by all means you plan on getting it and thinking that you will replace your mini with it. If you NEED a larger screen iPad then get the Air. For me, i'm retuning my Air. But i'll be exchanging it for a 16GB WiFi version. I realized that my 4th Gen 64GB is overkill for what I use it for at home, so luckily once I sell it the price to upgrade wont even be that much. I'll also be getting the new mini as well, as I honestly think its the best tablet for "on-the-go" use. You simply can't beat it.

2. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

Thanks for that. I have no interest in the Mini personally but still found that quite an interesting read :)

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I would love to use a mini but any prolonged reading on it makes me nauseous and dizzy. I am not sure what it is about it but it's the only iPad model that does it as I have owned every model to date. Maybe retina iPad will be different but we'll see when the time comes.

4. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Nice read. I was all about the mini until I saw the Air form factor. I use tablet more than PC so the full size screen made sense to me. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. That being said, I might hold a retina mini in a couple months and might have both like before.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

One thing I would suggest is that in future you split up your post into smaller chunks in the form of paragraphs rather posting what is essentially a wall of text and very hard to read. This is not meant to be a dig just a suggestion to make it easier to read.

6. loapp38 macrumors newbie

I agree about the screen size but not the on the go or portability aspect. It's not like you can fit a mini in your pocket, and they both fit in well inside any messenger bag, backpack or most hand bag. I don't understand why people keep saying the mini is more "portable", it's definitely fit better in one had, but both are good to carrying around.

7. isephmusic macrumors 6502

mini fits in jacket pockets, like pea coats, trench ect.

ipad air does not lol

8. evasquez7, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

evasquez7 thread starter macrumors member

By portability I mean using it in "on the go" situations like riding on subway, in the car (as a passenger), things like that.

----------

Sorry. As you can see i'm a "macrumors newbie" but thanks for the advice!

9. tl01 macrumors 65816

This is basically what I'm doing. I have an iPad 3 and a mini. I'm keeping my new air in 16gb wifi form and getting the retina mini when it comes out. My mini will have LTE and more space. I like the air for home and so I don't need a whole lot of space on it... As I will mostly use it to steam movies. The mini will be for keeping in my purse and traveling. I'm selling my 3 and my original mini.

10. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I bought the kids an iPad mini a few months back & fell in love with it, I had every intention of giving up my iPad 3 & getting a retina mini when they were released. Then I checked out an iPad air in store, I realized it fixed the problems I was having with my iPad 3, mainly the weight, I can comfortably 1 hand it while reading or watching a video now. I really think the extra 2 inches of screen is worth it in the long run.

I'll probably still steal the kids mini when I need one to go for whatever reason but I think iPad Air & cheap non-retina mini is the best combo for me.

11. maclook macrumors 65816

I agree with this. If I were still in NYC or DC or any other place where I would use public transportation, the Mini would definitely be my choice.

I commute by car so I'm getting the full sized. I miss public transportation though. I got so much reading done and solved sudoku puzzles on my iPhone (these were the days before the Mini). Now I waste my time driving and staring at the road.

12. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

I am in the same boat as the original poster. I'm using the iPad air right now. It's definitely a nice improvement over the previous iPad, but it's still not as comfortable to use as the iPad mini. I'll be exchanging it when the Mini retina comes out. Now that the mini is getting the same internal hardware, it's a very easy decision for me. Plus the screen has a slight tint issue.

13. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

I never understood how people can ride a NYC train and take out their ipad or laptop. I live in NYC and would NEVER take those out. I barely take my phone out. It's just asking to have them stolen.

14. The Pearl macrumors newbie

That is exactly the first thing I thought before even reading the post.

15. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I'm going same route. I picked up a 32 gb for home use. This is basically my laptop replacement. My mini will be the device that I take with me on the go. Love the form factor of the mini and IMO that size fits the goals of a on the go device.

16. SMELTN macrumors regular

SMELTN

The mini fits great in 99% of my jeans back pocket..

I have 3 different iPads, 1 of those being the Mini. Once I got the Mini I gave the other iPads to my kids and never touch them. The mini was PERFECT for me.. I thought I would love the Air because its "thinner and lighter" all the things I hated about the other iPads and that made me choose the Mini. Well I bought the Air the minute it came out and while I can't imagine going back to a non retina screen, I am just not happy with it. Its just to big. I still find myself having to lay it on my check or stomach when I am on the couch or in the bed reading Flipboard, emails, etc.

I am trying to give it a fair shake for the next 15 days. I really do want to like it but as of day 2 its just not as good as the mini as far as comfort. In 15 days if I am not sold I will definitely be taking it back and getting the Mini 2!

17. maclook macrumors 65816

The Mini is the max size I would take out but more because it'd be a pain in the butt to pull anything bigger in and out of my backpack or bag. If you're afraid to take your phone out in public in fear that someone will steal it, that really sucks. I know it happens but I never had to worry about that stuff during my years in NYC. I would, however, be paranoid about walking around with an Apple store bag. Gotta have a backpack or another bag to hide that sucker in.

18. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

It depends with my phone. I don't have an iphone so I'm not as concerned and it also depends on where I sit and what train I'm on/where it's going. If you sit right near the doors with your phone out, going Brooklyn bound around the time school lets out, there's a good chance your phone could get swiped. It happened to a friend of mine. I only take my mini out when I'm going to NJ by public transit.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I take my ipad out whenever im good and ready to. If someone wants to try to take it than so be it. I will deal with them. :D i tend to get very protective when the train doors open up and i watch people as they get on and off. Im visibly muscular too...

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Depends on which section of which line, and which hour. I've seen people tapping away on 15-inch laptops on the subway. Myself, I don't hesitate to take out my iPad on the line I take to and from my house, and I've also seen other people reading their iPads and Kindles on that line.

21. Bokes macrumors 6502

No offense, but I live in Manhattan and I see plenty of people on the trains with iPads, kindles, etc. And just about EVERYONE is on a phone. I read on my full size once in awhile- if I get a seat. Never felt the slightest threat.

22. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I also bought an Air to replace my mini, mainly as I do some typing in work meetings and thought the bigger screen would be more usable. However in most situations the mini is just more convenient. While it is easier to type in landscape on the air, I feel like I'm making a too many compromises with the larger, less convenient form factor. So just before my two week return policy is up I'll likely be returning it for an ipad mini with retina.

That said, it's easier to use the Air on your lap while on public transport, particularly if you need to do some typing.

23. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Second, that's Manhattan. It's a completely different environment and culture from the other boroughs. I would not be on any of the lines in Brooklyn with my iPad. And I don't mean yuppies and hipsters in Park Slope and Williamsburg(who by the way are more likely to display their tech gear in the open), I mean other parts of Brooklyn. Same goes for Queens. I'm sure the N/Q through Astoria is fine but probably wouldn't in other parts.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, you said NYC, you didn't specify the boroughs -- what, Manhattan isn't part of NYC now? :D

I agree, in large parts of Brooklyn and Queens, it might be unwise to display expensive electronics. Like I said, it depends on WHERE in NYC we are talking about.

25. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

you could do it like this:

bought air

returning air

will get mini