Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
As a Surface Pro 1 owner, I'm waiting on the larger iPad to see if I might want to upgrade. Bouncing between a SP1 and iPad 4 ATM.

Apple really needs to kick the software in to overdrive. The iPads are capable of so much more but the software is so limiting. Hopefully the iPad Plus changes that.

But, at this point, I wouldn't buy a Surface Pro 3. I'm definitely waiting for 5th-gen Intel chips. The Surface Pro 3 form factor is spot-on. But it was designed for hardware that is to come, not hardware that's available right now.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As a SP3 owner I have all the same choices and then some. I can augment my SP3 with a laptop, a desktop, a phone, etc. Personally I don't see why the tablet should be its own entity, why the heck would I force myself to carry a tablet AND a laptop?

I find that since I got the iPad, I've stopped carrying my laptop. Now the laptop stays at the office, I have an iMac at home, and I carry the iPad back and forth.

Why Apple wouldn't give consumers the "choice" to have OSx on their tablet is beyond me, other than the dual device business strategy, seems like less choice to me. Certainly it isn't more choice than the windows ecosystem.

I think they are waiting until they have perfected the UI for using OS X on tablets. They don't want to just slap OS X, which was designed for larger screens and keyboard+mouse, onto a 9.7 inch or smaller touch screen device and call it a day. They want to have an UI that is optimal for touch on a smallish screen.

iOS keeps getting more features with each generation, and I feel confident that it will eventually reach feature parity with OS X. Yes, Apple is taking its time getting there, but the other option is getting something like Windows 8, which feels half-baked, with its jarring switch between desktop and touch modes.

It is true that Apple gives you less choice than other companies. But I think they make products that fit the use cases of the majority of people. The iPad is great for non-technical oriented people, like my mom, my boss, my cousin and her 7 year old kid. They don't need full Windows or OS X, and if they had the Surface Pro, I'll probably be spending all my time doing tech support for them, but with the iPad, I just need to help them set it up, and after that, I never hear about it again. It's the "computer for the rest of us," that is, the non-techies. Yes, I can see how for power users, the iPad doesn't do enough. But Apple isn't building the iPad as a laptop replacement. For people who need a full computer, an iPad will always be a supplementary device. But for many who didn't need a full computer in the first place, an iPad is the perfect device for them, whereas a Surface Pro would be overkill.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I find that since I got the iPad, I've stopped carrying my laptop. Now the laptop stays at the office, I have an iMac at home, and I carry the iPad back and forth.

I think they are waiting until they have perfected the UI for using OS X on tablets. They don't want to just slap OS X, which was designed for larger screens and keyboard+mouse, onto a 9.7 inch or smaller touch screen device and call it a day. They want to have an UI that is optimal for touch on a smallish screen.

iOS keeps getting more features with each generation, and I feel confident that it will eventually reach feature parity with OS X. Yes, Apple is taking its time getting there, but the other option is getting something like Windows 8, which feels half-baked, with its jarring switch between desktop and touch modes.

It is true that Apple gives you less choice than other companies. But I think they make products that fit the use cases of the majority of people. The iPad is great for non-technical oriented people, like my mom, my boss, my cousin and her 7 year old kid. They don't need full Windows or OS X, and if they had the Surface Pro, I'll probably be spending all my time doing tech support for them, but with the iPad, I just need to help them set it up, and after that, I never hear about it again. It's the "computer for the rest of us," that is, the non-techies. Yes, I can see how for power users, the iPad doesn't do enough. But Apple isn't building the iPad as a laptop replacement. For people who need a full computer, an iPad will always be a supplementary device. But for many who didn't need a full computer in the first place, an iPad is the perfect device for them, whereas a Surface Pro would be overkill.

Yep same here, I find I don't carry my laptop anymore since I got a SP3, in fact I don't even need a laptop period.

As for the 7 year old, kind of a shame. My 3 year old loves my SP3 and already can get around the desktop a bit, I can see her being a little windows powerhouse in a couple of years. The way I figure it is the stuff windows has is free, there is no battery cost or any other cost so hey why not? Plus I took the ipad away from my daughter as I didn't want to dumb her down too much, she enjoys her current windows tablet.

I never really understood why some people think that having a tablet so easy a baby can use it is an advantage. But that's just me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I never really understood why some people think that having a tablet so easy a baby can use it is an advantage. But that's just me.

I never got it either until I got my first iPod, I already had an MP3 player what's the big deal?

I already use my brain a lot during work hours, sometimes it's just nice to "turn off" and yet still get things done.

I use Windows daily, I still prefer OS X and iOS and the hardware they run on.

B

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As for the 7 year old, kind of a shame. My 3 year old loves my SP3 and already can get around the desktop a bit, I can see her being a little windows powerhouse in a couple of years. The way I figure it is the stuff windows has is free, there is no battery cost or any other cost so hey why not? Plus I took the ipad away from my daughter as I didn't want to dumb her down too much, she enjoys her current windows tablet.

If it were my kid, I might teach them computer stuff, but my cousin doesn't know much about computers herself, so how is she going to show her kid how to use a full computer properly?

It feels to me kind of like asking, why don't everyone run a marathon? Not everyone has what it takes to do it, whether it be marathons or computers, if you see what I mean?

Oh, and if I had a kid, I'd get them an iPad, and teach them languages. I love languages, and I think if the iPad and Internet was around when I was a kid, I could have picked up quite a few. Or if the kid was musically inclined, they could probably learn music theory with all the music apps around. So I'd encourage a kid to use an iPad, but just make sure they are not just spending their time playing Angry Birds on it.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Was at the big library yesterday. I walked by a huge row of tables with people/students working/studying. Out of 20 desks, I counted 5 people using Surface Pros. Pretty interesting.

SecITGuy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
Was at the big library yesterday. I walked by a huge row of tables with people/students working/studying. Out of 20 desks, I counted 5 people using Surface Pros. Pretty interesting.
That is more than I would have guessed. I would get one except I gave concerns about battery life. I want the SP3 with either the i7 or i5 processor.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
That is more than I would have guessed. I would get one except I gave concerns about battery life. I want the SP3 with either the i7 or i5 processor.

I'm getting 8hrs and about 15 minutes on one charge using IE, Firefox, iCloud Mail, Outlook, Twiiter and Facebook apps. Brightness was just below half way. Tests have shown that using full brighness only lowered usage by just over an hour.

There is also a power keyboard that gave the SP3 over 12 hrs.

SecITGuy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
I'm getting 8hrs and about 15 minutes on one charge using IE, Firefox, iCloud Mail, Outlook, Twiiter and Facebook apps. Brightness was just below half way. Tests have shown that using full brighness only lowered usage by just over an hour.

There is also a power keyboard that gave the SP3 over 12 hrs.
TY for the info. That is some nice battery life!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Has the OP got one yet? Sheesh you lot are funny, seriously, by the time half of you have decided on a Surface Pro 3 the Surface Pro 4 will be out! Then you'll start it all over again haha.

Just try it, I tried an iPad Mini and hate iOS on it, so it's gone and is being replaced with a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact and a Noreve Leather case, fell in love with the lil Sony tablet when I first saw it...

So just buy the SP3 and try it, if you don't like it then return it or whatever. Life is seriously too short to ponder for so long over these things. :)

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
Has the OP got one yet? Sheesh you lot are funny, seriously, by the time half of you have decided on a Surface Pro 3 the Surface Pro 4 will be out! Then you'll start it all over again haha.

Just try it, I tried an iPad Mini and hate iOS on it, so it's gone and is being replaced with a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact and a Noreve Leather case, fell in love with the lil Sony tablet when I first saw it...

So just buy the SP3 and try it, if you don't like it then return it or whatever. Life is seriously too short to ponder for so long over these things. :)

Man, you took the words out of my mouth.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
And depending on where you buy it, you have till mid January to return it.

Also, I bought mine at BestBuy the week before Thanksgiving so I had them price match what MicroCenter was selling it for so you may wish to do the same.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013

I think you want to go with the i5. I heard the i7 cycles a bit too much. But hey, it's impossible to know unless you use it. And ya, crazy seeing all those SPs in the library! But as students, I can see why. It really got me to thinking that if I was in school no way would I buy an iPad. The SP3 offers so much more for input. Taking notes in class is a no brainer with the SP3, drawing art, blah blah...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
And depending on where you buy it, you have till mid January to return it.

Also, I bought mine at BestBuy the week before Thanksgiving so I had them price match what MicroCenter was selling it for so you may wish to do the same.

Only in America. Buy it here and use it and you can not return it, you can only return here within two weeks if you haven't opened packaging.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Were they spin dancing on the desks like the old Surface Pro 3 Ads??

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm planning on replacing my MBP spring 2015 or summer. At that time, I'll be seeing if they do have the SP4 out. I want to compare that with a new MBP from apple.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm planning on replacing my MBP spring 2015 or summer. At that time, I'll be seeing if they do have the SP4 out. I want to compare that with a new MBP from apple.

For me, if I'm going to be using a device as a laptop, I want a solid keyboard. When we tried the SP3, I found that carrying it felt like carrying a laptop rather than a tablet. The iPad fits in my sling bag and other lighter bags I have. For the SP3, I had to get out my laptop bag. So the Surface gives me a compromised keyboard, without giving me increased portability. So unless the SP4 gets significantly lighter, I'll be sticking with the MBA.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Only in America. Buy it here and use it and you can not return it, you can only return here within two weeks if you haven't opened packaging.

In the UK, not sure about Ireland, it is a bit different if you buy online as you have more rights to just return an item, I'm not sure if it matters if you've used it?

Online, mail and telephone order customers have the right to cancel for a limited time even if the goods aren’t faulty. Sales of this kind are known as ‘distance selling’.

You must offer a refund to customers if they return goods within 14 days of receiving them.

You must then refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back. They don’t have to provide a reason.

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

That will be interesting, see how powerful the SP4 is because we know the MB Pro is powerful. I sub to a Surface Pro gamer channel on You Tube and the guy returned his i7 SP3 as it overheats and throttles a lot when pushed, it's a bit too thin, but he got an i3 with the new Intel chip and it seems fine, not the same performance in the games but still good with no over heating.

So if MS can improve the heating or if the next gen of intel processors it uses solve it then the SP4 may be able to match a MB Pro? I mean you have no DVD drive in an MB Pro these day's, no ethernet ports, they just offer bigger screens and more power and storage.

I would love the 5K iMac, sadly can't see me having the money for that. But I am looking forward to my new tablet, not having a tablet (my nephew is getting my ex iPad for Christmas :) ) has been a real bug bear, I am genuinely surprised how much I am missing not having one even with my current MB Pro I have and my smartphone!

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I've really been looking at the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3. That thing has a Retina screen (13"), backlit keyboard, and is pulling about 6-7 hours battery life. That's about what a MacBook Pro gets.

Reviewers mistakenly compare it to the MacBook Air which is getting, on paper anyway, 12+ hours of battery life? The problem with this comparison is that the MBA has a last century resolution. If it were Retina, it'd have less battery life.

Here's the thing: in something so thin and light like the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 (a MacBook Air in the PC world), it's got pretty decent performance all around where it's running the Intel M chip. I'm interested in these chips. I think a version two of the M chip might be great in the SP4.

So don't be too surprised if MS switches gears a bit in the next Surface to reduce heat, improve battery life, and make it lighter by using a lower power chip like the M. But the M isn't a piece of junk chip. You should have no problem running any program or gaming.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I've really been looking at the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3.

You mean the thing that gizmodo wrote this about on Monday:

What you might not know is that the Yoga 3 Pro kind of sucks at being a laptop. And it really, really sucks at being a tablet.

Should You Buy It?

No. It's a decent machine, but nothing about it screams "Pro." It's not as fast and doesn't boast nearly as quote battery life as other PCs in its price range, and everything Lenovo sacrificed to make it thin and light is basically nullified by it being a pain in the ass to use.

http://gizmodo.com/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review-a-futuristic-laptop-that-lags-1668217125

Overall, I think the SP3 remains the least bad compromise in this market area.

B

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You mean the thing that gizmodo wrote this about on Monday:

http://gizmodo.com/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review-a-futuristic-laptop-that-lags-1668217125

Overall, I think the SP3 remains the least bad compromise in this market area.

B

I breifly gave this laptop a look at BestBuy and I had to say that the hinge was ugly. I did like the idea that it came with double the RAM and SSD then the SP3 but I could not get past that hinge and the fact that the keyboard is attached permanently. Nothing beats the way that I can pull the keyboard off the SP3 and use it the same ways I would an iPad without the limitations of one.

Several days ago, I posted about the battery life on my SP3 and the 8hr and 15 minutes was with the keyboard attached most of the time with the keys lit.

Lenovo has some good ideas but once they get rid of that hinge and improve the battery life, they may have something good. And it needs a detachable keyboard.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Cannot see me using this like a tablet instead of an android or ipad, awkward and heavier than most currently on the market now. I spent some time on it at BB, my arms aren't long enough to use it in that manner as my eyes would go buggy in no time as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.